Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6, Heel Toe Shifting

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2012, 12:10 AM
JTRANTHA
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C6, Heel Toe Shifting

I have a C6 that is mostly used for track days. I have been trying to get my heel/toe shifting down but the pedals do not seem to line up. I do see aftermarket pedals available but the brake pedal and gas pedal seem to be at different heights... any suggestions.. Thanks...

Jason
Old 05-18-2012, 12:34 AM
Corvee
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Try the Elite Engineering gas pedal. A pain in the butt to insatall but it has a larger surface area for your foot.

Last edited by Corvee; 05-18-2012 at 07:34 PM.
Old 05-18-2012, 02:13 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,924 Likes on 5,330 Posts

On my C4, two C5s and the C6Z the brake pedal has always dropped to the same level as the gas pedal when I push it. All I had to do was roll the right side of my foot over to move the gas pedal.

Bill
Old 05-18-2012, 06:56 AM
topmover
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

I also have the elite engineering gas pedal in both my cars...........it helps a lot.
Old 05-18-2012, 07:28 AM
Dan Wendling
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree about the pedal height but it is nice to have a little larger pedal. An alternate source of pedals:

http://www.ultimatepedals.com/home.htm
Old 05-18-2012, 07:39 AM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by JTRANTHA
the brake pedal and gas pedal seem to be at different heights... any suggestions.. Thanks...

Jason
It's really tough to do when driving on the street or when early/slow braking at the track, but when threshold braking, the pedals line up almost perfectly.
Old 05-18-2012, 12:33 PM
mark b
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

with all the posts.. you dont need aftermarket pedals, you just have to be going fast and braking down hard and the pedals will line up and it is easy to heel toe on the vette it is all about timing it just right
there is a rhythm to it.. brake hard, clutch in, vroom the gas pedal and shift into gear, release the clutch, hold the brake, feel and ease off the brake and gas out of the corner.. youll know when you get it right..

it just the being like a machine part that is hard, staying consistent under pressure..
Old 05-18-2012, 12:37 PM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by sperkins
It's really tough to do when driving on the street or when early/slow braking at the track, but when threshold braking, the pedals line up almost perfectly.
I heel toe on every down shift on the street, even w/light braking. I can do this because I have a pedal extension on the brake pedal so that the 2 are closely spaced. Any height difference I adjust for by rolling my foot and I have a big foot. What I hate is for the brake pedal to get below the gas pedal; that I've fixed w/SRF fluid and ss caliper pistons & Ti shims for the track.
Old 05-21-2012, 02:31 PM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,103 Likes on 717 Posts

Originally Posted by sperkins
The timing/rhythm is a lot better when up to speed, also.
Old 05-21-2012, 02:59 PM
rfn026
Safety Car

Received 272 Likes on 214 Posts

Heel and toe is such a misleading term. It's actually the right side of your foot. Before you buy those fancy pedals find a piece of plywood and make your own. Cut it so that the left side of the accel. pedal is close to the brake. Bolt it onto you stock pedal and then glue sandpaper to it.

When it comes the to height you want the accell. pedal at the same height at a depressed brake pedal.

Richard Newton
Newton's Laws
Old 05-21-2012, 10:04 PM
Z06TWT
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan Wendling
I agree about the pedal height but it is nice to have a little larger pedal. An alternate source of pedals:

http://www.ultimatepedals.com/home.htm
I have been tracking a C5Z with stock pedals and have been terrible at heel-toe. I know it's the car because I have no prblem in a spec miata. So I looked at all options and just intalled a wide gas pedal from Ultimate Pedals (brushed w/grid and Z06 logo). The company even sent me a PDF to check out the size before buying. WOW...I can now shift/HT like a pro. The reason I liked this product is that it is wider from top to bottom and not tapered. This allows me to "roll" on to the gas with minimal effort
Old 05-22-2012, 09:07 AM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,103 Likes on 717 Posts

At Bondurant's I had to use the factory C6 setup to do my H/T. On that particular weekend it was actual H/T. I had to use my toes on the brake with my heel on the throttle with my foot almost completely horizontal. The ergonomics are important but not as important as rhythm and timing. One can adjust with a little practice. I got really smooth in just a few laps. However, it was nice when I got back to my own car with the Elite Engineering pedals. Deal with what you have and don't go overboard until you are absolutely sure what you need. I got the oversized EE pedals and should have gotten the slightly oversize.

Get notified of new replies

To C6, Heel Toe Shifting

Quick Reply: C6, Heel Toe Shifting