Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HPDE @ MIR soon...my brakes are spongy! help?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2012, 09:39 AM
yow
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default HPDE @ MIR soon...my brakes are spongy! help?

My brake pedal slowly goes to the floor when pressed. If I stomp it, it's firm. My search on here indicated that means the brake master cylinder is bad, so I went ahead and ordered one. I have an HPDE at Memphis Int. Raceway on May 25-26 so I need to get this fixed ASAP!

About a month ago, I had my calipers off and painted them. I thought maybe the problem was the seals where the lines hook to the calipers. Or, I might have busted a line - but they are steel braided lines. Or, I might just need a good bleed. Either way, this weekend will be all about the brakes.

Any suggestions on something I'm not considering or something else I should try to do?

On another note, the HPDE at MIR has had a light turnout and they are asking that we invite our friends to come join. Here for more: http://www.musiccitymustangclub.org/ or email me for the pdf's - yow@ericyow.com.

Thanks!!!
Old 05-16-2012, 09:42 AM
TheKomoman
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
St Jude Donor '13

Bleeding is the least expensive potential fix and often solves a spongy pedal feel. Put a good quality DOT4 fluid in if you're not already using DOT4. Opinions will vary on which fluid, but whether it's SRF, Motul or ATE you'll get good results.
Old 05-16-2012, 09:48 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Which brake pads and what brake fluid are you using?
Old 05-16-2012, 09:58 AM
yow
Pro

I'm running CarboTech Bobcats Brake Pads and prestone DOT4 fluid.
Old 05-16-2012, 10:23 AM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

Received 492 Likes on 419 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11,'13

Originally Posted by yow
I'm running CarboTech Bobcats Brake Pads and prestone DOT4 fluid.

I hope you plan to use diffrent pads for your HPDE at MIR.
PH:216-780-8825.
Email: sales@ampdautosport.com
Web Site & Direct ordering http://ampdautosport.com/
All major CC and Pay Pal accepted.
Check out Promo code:z28
Old 05-16-2012, 10:31 AM
yow
Pro

Originally Posted by carbotech adam

I hope you plan to use diffrent pads for your HPDE at MIR.
WHY? Teach me. I did a track day on them last year and many miles in the mountains (Dragon, etc). They did well.

What should I get? Can I get them by the weekend?
Old 05-16-2012, 10:41 AM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

St. Jude Donor '11,'13

Originally Posted by yow
WHY? Teach me. I did a track day on them last year and many miles in the mountains (Dragon, etc). They did well.

XP10 f and XP8 r and yes PM me your info.

1521™ is suitable for ALL street cars, perfect for your tow vehicle or fleet vehicle. Carbotech™ 1521™ is NOT recommended for ANY track use.

Your brake problem maybe your pads, are they Shinny? you may have glazed them. I am happy to hear they worked well for you but this is not an optimal track pad.
Old 05-16-2012, 11:21 AM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

St. Jude Donor '11,'13

Originally Posted by yow

Eric, thank you for your order and I am sure this will be a lot more efficent track set up and like I said you can leave them on for street or swap back and forth with no problem.
Old 05-16-2012, 03:43 PM
TheKomoman
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
St Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by carbotech adam
Eric, thank you for your order and I am sure this will be a lot more efficent track set up and like I said you can leave them on for street or swap back and forth with no problem.
Good decision Eric. I run XP8's front & rear on my C6Z06 on the track and they're great.

You should take a good look at your rotors too. While the Carbotech compounds are all pretty compatible if you've glazed up your pads you may have done some serious heat damage to your rotors. If they're drilled small cracks around the holes are normal (and a good example of why not to use drilled on the track) but if any of the cracks are headed for the outer edge of the rotor it will become a problem. I got some DBA 4000's from the folks at KNS Brakes, good folks there too.
Old 05-16-2012, 04:53 PM
rayk
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was impressed with the Carbotech XP10's on the track. Great braking feel and not hard on the rotors which I suppose was due to breaking them in as instructed.

Need to order the bobcats next for street driving.
Old 05-16-2012, 04:55 PM
jlutherva
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

So you removed the calipers to paint them... You may have a bubble in the ABS system. I fought this problem and was never able to bleed the problem away. I finally got it solved by taking it to the dealership and having them do a Tech II bleed/flush. They flushed 4 liters thru the system while exercising the ABS. That solved my problem. Coist was about $90 plus brake fluid. BTW, my problem started when I removed the calipers to rebuild them.

JIm

Last edited by jlutherva; 05-16-2012 at 06:47 PM. Reason: addition to cost.
Old 05-18-2012, 09:29 AM
yow
Pro

I believe we found the problem. When I painted my calipers and reinstalled, I did not get new crush washers but was merely particular about putting the originals back in. Foolish. The front left was letting air in the line. To be safe, because there's the track day next weekend, I replaced the master cylinder. I'll do pads and crush washers this weekend and all will be well.
Old 05-18-2012, 12:32 PM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by yow
I believe we found the problem. When I painted my calipers and reinstalled, I did not get new crush washers but was merely particular about putting the originals back in. Foolish. The front left was letting air in the line. To be safe, because there's the track day next weekend, I replaced the master cylinder. I'll do pads and crush washers this weekend and all will be well.
What's a crush washer??? Is this to help w/installing the SS line?
Old 05-18-2012, 12:36 PM
yow
Pro

It's the washer that goes on top and bottom of the banjo bolt where the ss line meets the caliper. When you disconnect the line from the caliper you are supposed to change the copper washers (seals) out, apparently. This was news to me. The washer 'crushes' and makes the seal when tightened to spec, which is somewhere around 30.

Hope this helps.
Old 05-18-2012, 03:21 PM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

St. Jude Donor '11,'13

Let me know if you need anything, I know the pads are there.

Get notified of new replies

To HPDE @ MIR soon...my brakes are spongy! help?

Quick Reply: HPDE @ MIR soon...my brakes are spongy! help?