Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hooked on Driving - Disturbing news

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2012, 12:07 AM
amallano
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hooked on Driving - Disturbing news

Today I received an email that Hooked on Driving (Northeast) is looking for new ownership. I have only run with them for the last 2 years, however they offer a great day on the track (at NJMP annd Pocono, etc) with plenty of seat time. I hope they are able to work things out and continue on past the 2012 season, Joe Mills and his team were/are a class act. Guess I'm bummed, even though I know there are other clubs, etc. that offer HPDE if HOD folds. Hummm.
Old 05-16-2012, 12:35 AM
Short-Throw
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

The Midwest owner also left recently. It has been picked up by another former instructor. Time will tell how it pans out. I wonder if it's a corporate model that doesn't make the risk reward worthwhile? I hear the West coast events are successful.
Old 05-16-2012, 07:05 AM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

Received 297 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'08

I was out in California last week and caught up with David. The west coast is successful but it requires a lot of leg work. Joe has always held a great event and will surely be missed but hopefully someone will step up and fill the vacancy.

Last edited by Wicked Weasel; 05-16-2012 at 07:36 AM.
Old 05-16-2012, 03:58 PM
rfn026
Safety Car

Received 272 Likes on 214 Posts

It's not a good idea to compete with Chin Motorsports. They set the standards for track events on the right side of the country. You need to be really really good (or exceptional) to compete with them.

Richard
Old 05-16-2012, 08:52 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,919 Likes on 5,328 Posts

It is more like Joe is selling his franchise. I instructed with them a couple of times. The first time was an early date at Watkins Glen in 08. They had 5 students and 5 instructors and a few open track participants. The price for students was high compared to other groups that instruct there. Not sure about Chin but between the BMW and PCA Club events, Trackmasters, NASA and a bunch of other groups they had a lot of competition at Watkins Glen and the Northeast Region in general. I even have trouble keeping the number of instructor days below 20 there are so many options. The BMW Club event I attended on the first weekend of May had 80 instructors, 80+ students, 60 race competitors and 10 Instructor Training School Candidates. They even had instructors on the wait list. Because of the races they didn't have a novice group. Place was overflowing with cars and we had 100+mph traffic jams at times.

Bill
Old 05-17-2012, 07:43 AM
sgsvette
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

HOD is VERY strong in California and Florida and we do go head to head with all the clubs mentioned above without any problem. As some of you know, HOD is a franchise and each region is owned by a different person. I happen to own the Florida Region HOD and put on more events than any other club in my region. We do a minimum of two and some times as many as four events per month. We are one of the very few that put on an event at Daytona and we fill them up.
HOD is a National organization that is here to stay.
The two regions mentioned above will continue to operate with new ownership, but they are not going anywhere.
Old 08-24-2012, 07:25 PM
MA ZO6
Burning Brakes

Received 79 Likes on 41 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by sgsvette
HOD is VERY strong in California and Florida and we do go head to head with all the clubs mentioned above without any problem. As some of you know, HOD is a franchise and each region is owned by a different person. I happen to own the Florida Region HOD and put on more events than any other club in my region. We do a minimum of two and some times as many as four events per month. We are one of the very few that put on an event at Daytona and we fill them up.
HOD is a National organization that is here to stay.
The two regions mentioned above will continue to operate with new ownership, but they are not going anywhere.

I have done a few events with Henry and can vouch that he runs a first class operation in Florida. I even rented a Corvette from him for a track day at Sebring and one at Palm Beach, nothing like just showing up and jumping in a fully prepared track car with nothing to worry about.
Old 06-16-2013, 11:01 AM
sgsvette
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

How quickly things can change. I too have left the Florida Region Hooked on Driving Franchise. Had a good 5 years with them, but it was time to go.
I am still in the same business and you can still rent Corvette's as well as Miata's from me for any of my events.

http://www.performancedrivinggroup.com
Old 06-16-2013, 11:09 AM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,101 Likes on 715 Posts

Originally Posted by rfn026
It's not a good idea to compete with Chin Motorsports. They set the standards for track events on the right side of the country. You need to be really really good (or exceptional) to compete with them.

Richard
CHIN is good. Have run with them a few times in the past. Have you tried 10/10ths Motorsports? The locals around the tracks where they have been, as well as the track staff, have had only great things to say about the 10/10ths format. Has been very quick sell outs for awhile. Continues to grow and has much to offer. 10/10ths offers great classroom, TT's, door prizes and much more. However, they don't have a coffee pot (sorry, Bill)

Last edited by SouthernSon; 06-16-2013 at 11:13 AM.
Old 06-16-2013, 01:39 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 833 Likes on 594 Posts

Originally Posted by sgsvette
How quickly things can change. I too have left the Florida Region Hooked on Driving Franchise. Had a good 5 years with them, but it was time to go.
I am still in the same business and you can still rent Corvette's as well as Miata's from me for any of my events.

http://www.performancedrivinggroup.com
Hi Henry

Glad your new organization, PDG, is still going to be a co-organizer of the Daytona event Dec 6-8 this year.

There are only about 3 fall HPDE type events at Daytona, and this year there was one in April. The Dec event has been without question the best one (the others stick the HPDE sessions in between club racing, and the HPDE sessions commonly lose track time due to problems during the racing sessions) - so I'm glad to see you will still be involved with it through Performance Driving Group!!

I'll c'ya at Daytona in December!!

Bob
Old 06-16-2013, 09:19 PM
red1vette
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SouthernSon
CHIN is good. Have run with them a few times in the past. Have you tried 10/10ths Motorsports? The locals around the tracks where they have been, as well as the track staff, have had only great things to say about the 10/10ths format. Has been very quick sell outs for awhile. Continues to grow and has much to offer. 10/10ths offers great classroom, TT's, door prizes and much more. However, they don't have a coffee pot (sorry, Bill)
10/10ths is great!!
Old 06-17-2013, 07:53 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Putting on events is tons of work .
Old 06-18-2013, 12:38 PM
moespeeds
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I run with CHINs and they are awesome, no clogged tracks, great instructors, and plenty of sessions, but it ain't cheap. Track Time for Cars still has a few events at NJMP and Pocono this year. I got a handful of CF members to come out and so far everyone had a blast. In my experience it's still the most track time for your dollar.

http://www.tracktime4cars.com/schedule.html
Old 06-18-2013, 02:58 PM
DOUG @ ECS
Premium Supporting Vendor

Location: Providing the most proven supercharger kits for your C5/6/7 609-752-0321
Received 1,084 Likes on 656 Posts

The franchise has been taken over and there is an event at NJMP this Friday.
Old 06-18-2013, 03:14 PM
oh1vette
Safety Car

Received 153 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by red1vette
10/10ths is great!!

Did my first ever event with them a couple years ago at ViR, unfortunately they don't swing by the SE much anymore....

Never did CHINS, but also noted they are more costly than most...
Old 06-21-2013, 09:16 PM
Rob31
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

HOD Great lakes is just fine .
Did Autobahn (full) more tracktime than I could handle .
Great lunch
Smooth running event , one yellow all day for a flat tire ...
Good turn out ,but like allot of events ,there was lots of open track later in the day .

Get notified of new replies

To Hooked on Driving - Disturbing news

Quick Reply: Hooked on Driving - Disturbing news