Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Autox opening weekend - first event with son

Old 05-13-2012, 10:54 PM
justkickin
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Autox opening weekend - first event with son

So we had our opening weekend up here and my son and I have spent the past month and a half wrenching on the car. Got it done and I went to the first event and was happy with my results. He came to the second event where I did not drive well, but had a ton of fun being driver+owner+coach. Amazing how much coaching someone with only a learners permit takes focus away from your own driving.

He improved dramatically over the course of the day and was able to put the car exactly where told and got much closer to cones. Not quite slaloming like a champ, but not way behind in them either. He even got brave enough to go WOT a couple times in his last run.

This is what toys are for isn't it?? lol

Old 05-14-2012, 10:46 PM
MartyZ51
Instructor

That is exactly what toys are for! I have 2 years until my son gets his permit and am looking forward to taking 2 years off road courses to spend the weekends on the cones. I think SCCA will allow any permit holder to drive as long as the parent is in the car?
Old 05-14-2012, 11:03 PM
justkickin
Instructor

We have different insurers up here as we are not SCCA. Instead we follow ASN rules which require that a fully licensed driver be in the car with when someone with a learners is driving on all runs. Doesn't need to be the parent though. But the parent does need to sign the waiver to let a minor race as well.
Old 05-15-2012, 09:09 AM
apexman
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great place for a youngster to learn some real driving skill. Should help them in making quick decisions on the street if and when they need to do so.
I have a few yrs. before my daughter gets to do the same thing, she is 1 1/2! I think it will help them curb the urge to drive at the limit on the street.

Have fun!

Derek
Old 05-15-2012, 10:00 AM
Scooter70
Le Mans Master

Received 124 Likes on 98 Posts

That's great. My dad and I started doing track events together in the late '90s with his '72 LT-1. My kids are 7 and 5 so I still have a few more years before they're ready but I'm already looking forward to it.
Old 05-15-2012, 11:13 PM
vettehardt
Burning Brakes

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by apexman
Great place for a youngster to learn some real driving skill. Should help them in making quick decisions on the street if and when they need to do so.
I have a few yrs. before my daughter gets to do the same thing, she is 1 1/2! I think it will help them curb the urge to drive at the limit on the street.

Have fun!

Derek
That is exactly what I keep telling every parent or kid about to get their license that I meet. It will absolutely help you on the street. That and some guidance from the parents, and the children may never have an accident or get a speeding ticket.

I am 32 now, but started autocrossing my dad's 73 (which is now mine) the weekend after I got my license at 16 years and 1 month. It has taught me so much about how to drive and avoid obsticals on the road. I have avoided lumber falling off a truck, idiot drivers pulling out in front of me, dogs and cats, etc. I have never had an accident with another car. The only things i have hit were two deer, but they were pretty much unavoidable. The only damage is a crumpled hood on my 98 camaro. I have also never had a speeding ticket. I've only been pulled over 3 times, but only once for speeding. I have an outlet on the weekends to get my speed fix. I do occasionally get on the loud pedal, but pick my time and places to do so. Mainly out in the middle of nowhere on a relatively smooth back road.

The only downside i can think of is i get very impatient with stupid drivers who should never been allowed to get their license. I still believe it is too easy to get a license in this country and it should require more instruction.
Old 05-15-2012, 11:17 PM
vettehardt
Burning Brakes

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Also one thing that may have helped me to be smooth was my dad would not let me run if we wore out the tires on that weekend. I had to learn to be smooth and not wear tires as much if i wanted to run. I had to learn to control the car and not spin or flat spot tires. That way if the tires did wear out, it was Dad's fault!!!

Get notified of new replies

To Autox opening weekend - first event with son

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Autox opening weekend - first event with son