Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

my car smokes after downshifting

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2012, 06:23 PM
mark b
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default my car smokes after downshifting

I got it diagnosed and it has been said that my engine is alittle tired, could be the rings or valve seals.. the car burns oil but it doesnt leak oil.. as long as I keep the level of oil proper, it is fine so far.. car runs just fine..

I was recommended to get a catch can.. what do you guys think? the car is 14 years old C5 vette Would a catch can do the job?

I dont want to throw lots of money into this car i just want to drive the **** out of it, so any thoughts would b appreciated
Old 05-11-2012, 07:10 PM
rayk
Drifting

Originally Posted by mark b
I got it diagnosed and it has been said that my engine is alittle tired, could be the rings or valve seals.. the car burns oil but it doesnt leak oil.. as long as I keep the level of oil proper, it is fine so far.. car runs just fine..

I was recommended to get a catch can.. what do you guys think? the car is 14 years old C5 vette Would a catch can do the job?

I dont want to throw lots of money into this car i just want to drive the **** out of it, so any thoughts would b appreciated
Might want to try Mobil1 for high mileage cars and see if that helps the valve seals.
Old 05-11-2012, 07:35 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,918 Likes on 5,327 Posts

Why not see if replacing the valve seals solves the problem? Not that expensive to have done and might work. Usually the rings cause smoke when you are on the gas and valve seals/guides cause smoke after an off throttle situation.

Bill
Old 05-11-2012, 07:47 PM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Mine smokes badly as well on downshifts even with a catch can.
Doesn't bother me too much.
Old 05-11-2012, 11:31 PM
mgarfias
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

If its its guides or the rings the catch can won't do anything for you. Catch can is only grabbing whats coming through the PCV system before it gets to the intake.

I agree with changing out the valve seals first, thats usually what causes smoke on decel.
Old 05-12-2012, 12:54 AM
the blur
Melting Slicks

Received 118 Likes on 87 Posts

Does it smoke on a cold start ?
Old 05-13-2012, 12:36 AM
cruzin2
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
Why not see if replacing the valve seals solves the problem? Not that expensive to have done and might work. Usually the rings cause smoke when you are on the gas and valve seals/guides cause smoke after an off throttle situation.

Bill

I'm with Bill on this one...fix the easy stuff and the suggested fix is probable b/c of what you describe. valve seals.
Old 05-15-2012, 12:54 PM
mark b
Burning Brakes

I will look into the valve seals.. and it must be the valve seals because it smokes after I heel toe/downshift on the track... thanks guys!!
Old 05-15-2012, 01:14 PM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

MY C6Z did same thing, not only were my seals shot, but so where springs, valves and guides. I needed a top end rebuild which wasn't cheap, but if I had dropped a valvle, I would be looking at 5X the cost vs just a top end rebuild.
Old 05-16-2012, 12:28 PM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mgarfias
If its its guides or the rings the catch can won't do anything for you. Catch can is only grabbing whats coming through the PCV system before it gets to the intake.

I agree with changing out the valve seals first, thats usually what causes smoke on decel.
I run two catch cans. It helped with oil in air bridge and smoking.
Old 05-16-2012, 01:51 PM
VGLNTE1
Le Mans Master

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

do the easy things first. do a compression and leakdown test. cheap and fast, then look at your PCV set up. The LS series systems are horrible, and even a can wont get it all. Look up some of the systems some guys use and see if thats the fix. 150$ sounds better than tearing the engine apart to find nothing
Old 05-16-2012, 05:36 PM
Pumba
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 102 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn

Bill

Bill is correct!

It is very easy to change the valve stem seals in the LS engine. All you need are the basic hand tools to remove the valve covers, rocker arms, and pushrods. Companies like Crane Cams sell a tool that will compress your springs. Make or buy an adapter that will screw into your spark plug hole and connect to your air compressor.

When you go to buy the seals, buy the exhaust valve seals for all 16 of them. The exhaust valve seals are designed to handle higher temperatures than the intake seals.

-

Get notified of new replies

To my car smokes after downshifting

Quick Reply: my car smokes after downshifting