Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

We lost another racer from the Glory Days

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2012, 11:29 AM
Z07coupe
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default We lost another racer from the Glory Days

Bob Johnson 1927-2012

'Marietta Bob' Johnson passed away on Monday, May 7, 2012, in Marietta, Ohio. Bob is well known in the racing community, having driven some of the most notable Corvettes ever raced. Bob's driving career started at age 36 racing Doug Bergen's 1966 427 Corvette Coupe. He won his very first race at Cumberland, MD, with this car, and finished the season with 7 A Production race wins in his first year of racing Corvettes. Bob went on to drive the 1968 L88 (number 12 car) and the 1969 L88 (number 3 car), both cars also owned by Doug Bergen. In 1970, Doug quit the race car owner business, but Bob continued racing with legends such as 'Columbus Bob' Johnson, Don Yenko, John Greenwood, Dave Heinz, and Toye English. In 1972, Bob drove a Corvette for Fred Semon and won the SCCA Central Division title and then placed third in the SCCA National Finals.

Bob is probably best known for driving the number 4 LeMans racer in 1972, which is on display at Mike Yager's MY Museum in Effingham, IL, and the # 57 Rebel car while sharing the time behind the wheel with Dave Heinz. Bob and Dave were clocked lap after lap hurtling down the Mulsanne Straight at 211 mph. In 1973, Bob and Dave Heinz placed first in class and third overall at the 6 Hours of Daytona and first in class and second overall at Sebring. Bob also co-drove with John Greenwood at LeMans in 1973-1974.

As a friend of Bob's, it is very sad to learn of his passing. I relish my time spent with Bob and Doug and thoroughly enjoyed the hours spent listening to the stories of the Glory Days of Corvette racing. We will miss Bob greatly, but will always remember his contribution to the history of Corvette racing.

Last edited by Z07coupe; 05-09-2012 at 11:39 AM.
Old 05-09-2012, 07:25 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

God Bless My condolences to friends and family.
Old 05-16-2012, 09:29 AM
Z07coupe
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Registry of Corvette Race Cars prepared a tribute to Marietta Bob Johnson, 1927 - 2012

http://campaign.r20.constantcontact....hBWauFkYZ5o%3D

Get notified of new replies

To We lost another racer from the Glory Days

Quick Reply: We lost another racer from the Glory Days