Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lost brakes going into turn...

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2012, 08:05 PM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,101 Likes on 715 Posts

Default Lost brakes going into turn...

I was instructing a fellow in an automatic C4. Other than tires out of balance everything seemed OK. About half way through a session he shouted, "No brakes!". Fortunately, it was the uphill turn 9 at Putnam and he had just enough travel left to get it slowed to accomodate the turn. It seems he learned left foot braking while autocrossing and apparently had been dragging the brakes just enough to boil the fluid badly. Guy was really smooth with the braking and power so I had no idea what he was doing. Lesson learned - not only look at the hands on the steering wheel but check out the feet on the pedals! Great guy to work with and I am sure he will get it all worked out just fine on the brakes.
Old 05-07-2012, 10:39 PM
RaleighSS
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the tip ... I usually do not look at their feet
Old 05-07-2012, 11:32 PM
sebdavid
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Always look at feet. Some people also have a tendency to ride the clutch or automatically depress it when braking.
Old 05-08-2012, 01:01 AM
jaa1992
Le Mans Master

Location: Life is just one big track event. Everything before and after is prep and warm-up and cool-down laps GA
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by southern_son
I was instructing a fellow in an automatic C4. Other than tires out of balance everything seemed OK. About half way through a session he shouted, "No brakes!". Fortunately, it was the uphill turn 9 at Putnam and he had just enough travel left to get it slowed to accomodate the turn. It seems he learned left foot braking while autocrossing and apparently had been dragging the brakes just enough to boil the fluid badly. Guy was really smooth with the braking and power so I had no idea what he was doing. Lesson learned - not only look at the hands on the steering wheel but check out the feet on the pedals! Great guy to work with and I am sure he will get it all worked out just fine on the brakes.
Yep. I started in an 88 C4 auto with JL9 brakes. I could make that baby dance on an autocross course. My buddies talked me into going with them to Beaver Run for an HPDE. We changed fluids, brake pads, etc. First session I boiled the fluid by braking too long and basically trying to drive the track like an auto cross

Learned my lesson, bled the brakes, and didn't have a problem till the last session. It was longer than the others and I was going don the front straight at better than 100 - hit the brakes for turn 1 and ALL THE WAY TO THE FLOOR!!! pumped, got a little brake back and made it thru the turn. on the back stright got a "oil hot" light and ended my session. You know its been 12 years and I still remember thatfirst time!

And instructing I'm always checking my students feet - especially if they autocross a lot!
Old 05-08-2012, 11:42 AM
shakedown067
Le Mans Master

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Well, that's some good info. I plan on doing my first HPDE soon and left foot brake at autocross events.
Old 05-08-2012, 12:28 PM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I always had the impression that auto-x and road course work don't mix. I felt auto-x did not reward smoothness as the road course does. I've told folks that inquired to just do the road course and don't start w/ auto-x with the theory that it's easier to learn to drive the road courses from scratch then to learn auto-x first.
Old 05-08-2012, 12:56 PM
argonaut
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

I started out in AX and quickly learned left foot braking and used it extensively. When I started doing high speed tracks I was instructed to only use right foot and only brake in straight line (good advice for a nooby). I felt the background in AX made the transition very easy because the car control skills were already there. So for me it was great training. Four years later I do use both trail-braking and LFB on the big tracks when appropriate. In fact, I'd like to get a lot better at LFB, it's just another tool you can use to control the car.
Old 05-09-2012, 07:57 PM
Really?aZO6!
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Argonaut, you are right on. One can't apply 100 suggestions, pluck out those that fit you, or the event. Me, I'm bonkers over auto cross. I've tried left foot braking for smoothness. Flying toward a 180, hard braking with some trail braking, clutch to 1st gear, light gas at apex, apply throttle smoothly with counter steer already turned in, then make those Hoosiers beg for mercy. I've never had so much fun in my life!

Get notified of new replies

To Lost brakes going into turn...

Quick Reply: Lost brakes going into turn...