Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

c4 track car?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2012, 01:33 PM
69SSC5
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default c4 track car?

just got a 89 c4 on the cheap,,, interior is in poor condition, no motor, no trans. time to build a track car. im looking for some information on what classes i would/could be racing in. I would like to put a built LS in the engine bay and do all the supporting suspense, drive train, brake mods and go racing.
Old 05-05-2012, 04:05 PM
wanabgts
Instructor

Received 79 Likes on 22 Posts

I suppose the first question would be to ask what kind of racing you plan on doing?

zack
Old 05-05-2012, 11:08 PM
vettehardt
Burning Brakes

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Also who do yo plan to run with?

SCCA or NASA Wheel to wheel
NASA Time Trials
NCCC Time Trials (High speed autocross)
Other?

With NCCC, if you do not modify the frame, you would be a Race Prepared (RP). If you modify the frame, it would be a Race Prepared Altered Frame (RPAF)
Old 05-06-2012, 12:24 AM
69SSC5
Pro

im not real sure what class or classification i want to run in. i want to go road racing, i think its called x-cross or auto cross is that correct? sorry i have never done any official racing and am trying to learn what the classes and rules are. what classes can i pick from? what is the difference between scca and nasa? i tried to find some answers on the SCCA website but it just confused me more.
im trying to learn so please be patient with me. thank you
Old 05-06-2012, 09:13 AM
TJM
Drifting

[QUOTE=Heimlich2010;1580739094]im not real sure what class or classification i want to run in. i want to go road racing, i think its called x-cross or auto cross is that correct? sorry i have never done any official racing and am trying to learn what the classes and rules are. what classes can i pick from? what is the difference between scca and nasa? i tried to find some answers on the SCCA website but it just confused me more.
im trying to learn so please be patient with me. thank you[/QUOTE

Fact is you just don't... "go racing" .. except on the interstate [ bad idea].

Must walk before running. What your going to be doing is HPDE.

Look into NASA or SCCA [ PDX there] It will explain the process.

LS in an 89 is looking for headaches, though doable.

By the way that last thing you need to fret about is Hp for a while!!

TJM
Old 05-06-2012, 09:52 AM
Black89Z51
Suckin' gas, haulin' ass.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

For a properly prepared car ready for wheel to wheel and hose, prepare to fork out around $20,000. I have an 89 I am almost done turning into a track car. It's taken me 15 months of building and a whole lot of coin. I've done everything myself, so that price doesn't include any labor.
Old 05-07-2012, 08:59 AM
opel
Burning Brakes

Received 71 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Heimlich2010
im not real sure what class or classification i want to run in. i want to go road racing, i think its called x-cross or auto cross is that correct? sorry i have never done any official racing and am trying to learn what the classes and rules are. what classes can i pick from? what is the difference between scca and nasa? i tried to find some answers on the SCCA website but it just confused me more.
im trying to learn so please be patient with me. thank you

Road racing/HPDE (High Performance Driving Education) and autox are two completely different things. Road racing/HPDE is done on a track and autox is mostly done on an airport or parking lot. Cost wise autox will be quite a bit cheaper to do, you can even do it in you daily driver just about all you need is a helmet. With your lack of knowledge of the racing game I would highly recommend starting out going to a local autox even if you just go to watch and talk to the people. You will find out that racers are a good bunch of people.

I've been running a highly modified C4 at autox and road racing for a lone time and I have to tell you don't put the LS in a C4, not that it's not a good combination or can't be done but to do it right even if you do all the work yourself you will probably have more in the car than you could buy a C5 for.

If I understand your post right you already got the car right? If so just pickup a L98 and ZF6 speed make sure all the suspension parts are in good working order and run the hell out of the car for a year. If you decide you like racing, then start looking into doing mods to the car.
Dave
Old 05-07-2012, 01:18 PM
jaa1992
Le Mans Master

Location: Life is just one big track event. Everything before and after is prep and warm-up and cool-down laps GA
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '12

Also - where are you at? what city and state?
There are lots of events going on where you can find us c4 die hards to talk to and get tips.
Old 05-07-2012, 01:47 PM
SteveC68
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What you are going to be doing is AUTO-X sometimes called Solo. Based on the condition of the car and the fact that you want to put an LSx motor in it you would be in Super Street Mod (SSM). The nice thing about SSM is there are almost no rules. Download a copy of the SCCA National Solo Rules and look in the Super Street Mod section.

In a nut shell

Auto-x = single car on course (based on a layout of orange traffic cones) trying to get fastest time

Road racing = multiple cars on the course trying to get to the finish line first.

Last edited by SteveC68; 05-07-2012 at 01:49 PM.
Old 05-07-2012, 07:08 PM
paulmeisterpk
Advanced

Originally Posted by opel
If I understand your post right you already got the car right? If so just pickup a L98 and ZF6 speed make sure all the suspension parts are in good working order and run the hell out of the car for a year. If you decide you like racing, then start looking into doing mods to the car.
Dave
Follow what this man has to say. I would recommend starting with Autocross, then move up from there. Also, the L98 with a ZF6 is a good combo for cheap. Maybe even an LT1? Make sure your suspension and braking system are in good working order and go racing. The first thing to do to go faster than stock is good tires and brake pads. $.02

Get notified of new replies

To c4 track car?

Quick Reply: c4 track car?