Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ultrashield VS seat, how much layback?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2012, 09:10 AM
moespeeds
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Ultrashield VS seat, how much layback?

I'm about to order an Ultrashield VS Full Containment seat. I'm a bit of a fatass so I measured out at 17" in the hips, and I'm 6'3" so headroom is always an issue. They have 10* and 20* Layback models, I'm assuming I would want the 20*? I tend to drive with the seat back a little anyway since it helps keep my head from touching. Any input is appreciated. I tried to find some local shops but nobody actually has one of these seats for me to sit in.
Old 05-03-2012, 10:22 AM
jaa1992
Le Mans Master

Location: Life is just one big track event. Everything before and after is prep and warm-up and cool-down laps GA
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '12

Remember whatever rails you use to mount it can also affect head room.
Maybe look at your stock seat in the position you drive on track
Take a straight edge along the seat bottm, another along the back, measure the angle between them. Should give you an idea if 10 or 20 works best.
Old 05-03-2012, 10:34 AM
MongoZ06
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I'm 6'3" and 300 lbs running an Ultrashield Rally Sport.

They custom made me a seat at 18" wide, moved the shoulder harness holes up just a little bit and put it at 20* layback. Fits me perfectly

If you're on the bigger side I highly recommend sending them your measurements and working with them on getting a custom seat made.
Old 05-03-2012, 12:11 PM
moespeeds
Burning Brakes

Part of my reasoning for going with an aluminum seat is that I can make any mods I want myself. I'm going to make my own seat rails, so I'll set the height then.
Old 05-03-2012, 12:50 PM
fatbillybob
Melting Slicks

Received 204 Likes on 160 Posts

I lhave custom US road race superseat in 20*. I don't like the 10* uprightness. I feel like I'm in coach on an airplane at 10*. Also, at the time US did not have countoured seatbacks like a recaro sgp pro HANS giving extra space for the HANS collar. So if you plan on, or wear, a HANS now the 20* will give you a little extra head space. It is surprising how much the helmet and HANS adds to the back of your head.
Old 05-03-2012, 01:36 PM
moespeeds
Burning Brakes

Just put the order in from raceday safety. Got the 1" taller custom seat, so it's about 3 weeks out. Thanks for the input guys.
Old 05-03-2012, 06:04 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

20* and depending on the mounting hardware you can set it back a bit more
Old 05-03-2012, 07:36 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

I think you will feel better in the 20 degree seat. I have both in my car. My seat is the 20 degree seat and it would be nice if the back was at less of an angle. The 10 degree seat doesn't have enough angle for me. I use it for the passenger seat and it does allow me to accommodate a wide range of body sizes. I have the seat back at the same angle as my 20 degree seat but the seat bottom is angled high so taller peoples legs are folded more. Their butt is facing more forward Vs down.

Bill
Old 05-03-2012, 09:30 PM
jaa1992
Le Mans Master

Location: Life is just one big track event. Everything before and after is prep and warm-up and cool-down laps GA
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by MongoZ06
I'm 6'3" and 300 lbs running an Ultrashield Rally Sport.

They custom made me a seat at 18" wide, moved the shoulder harness holes up just a little bit and put it at 20* layback. Fits me perfectly

If you're on the bigger side I highly recommend sending them your measurements and working with them on getting a custom seat made.
My custom seat is sitting in the Tahoe for its trip to my fabricator for installation.
Old 05-03-2012, 11:30 PM
MJM
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by moespeeds
Just put the order in from raceday safety. Got the 1" taller custom seat, so it's about 3 weeks out. Thanks for the input guys.
Moe,

Talk to Gary at Hardbar about his extender. You can mount the harness bar to the extender and then you will be able to get additional leg room by moving the seat rearwards. You can also tilt the seat back to get more headroom.

Matt

Get notified of new replies

To Ultrashield VS seat, how much layback?

Quick Reply: Ultrashield VS seat, how much layback?