Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

time for delrin bushings - pic

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2012, 05:41 PM
2MCHPWR
Drifting

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

Default time for delrin bushings - pic

this is the only one bad so far.
how bad is it?
can i do watkins glen monday with it? on scrub r6's, first time there, so won't be killing it.

Old 04-28-2012, 06:08 PM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by 2MCHPWR
can i do watkins glen monday with it?
Yeah it'll be fine. It can't really go anywhere since the opposite end of the arm has a flange that it pushes against.
Old 04-28-2012, 06:08 PM
C5ZEE06
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Wouldn't stop me from going. I've done many track days with similar looking bushes...as have many others here I imagine. A set of new T1 control arms i installed looked similar that after only one weekend.
Old 04-30-2012, 08:54 PM
CHJ In Virginia
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

I ran an event with similar looking bushings on both sides of the front. It is time to put poly or delrin bushings on the near term TO DO list. You will really like the difference after you make the switch.
Old 04-30-2012, 09:12 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Fine, have fun.

Shamless plug,

I have T1 arms for sale if you don't want to bother w/ poly/delrin.

c5 for sale section

Old 05-01-2012, 06:39 PM
2 GTOs
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '11-'12

That's how mine looked. I had them replaced with Delrin.
Old 05-03-2012, 10:35 AM
2MCHPWR
Drifting

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

how is delrin on the street?
delrin or poly for a 50% street, 50% time trial car?
Old 05-03-2012, 12:22 PM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by 2MCHPWR
how is delrin on the street?
delrin or poly for a 50% street, 50% time trial car?
Without a doubt - Pfadt Poly.
Old 05-03-2012, 01:23 PM
naschmitz
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by sperkins
Is delrin is too harsh for a street car?
Old 05-03-2012, 01:46 PM
0Matt @ ECS
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by naschmitz
Is delrin is too harsh for a street car?
Yes it is... A good buddy of mine informed me of the properties/characteristics of the Delrin vs. Solid Spherical. I hope that I can explain this as well as he did to me.

The properties of the Delrin bushings vs. the Spherical's on how they drive on the street are about the same. They will both transmit a lot of road noise. The Delrin bushings are good, but if you are giving up the drive-ability of the vehicle I would go with the solid sphericals.

The Delrin's will eventually wear-down and allow for more deflection, they will need to be replaced. The Spherical's will also wear-down and ultimately when they need replacement you will see the teflon coating starts pushing otu from the bearing. However, the bearings are only $15 for uppers and $40 for lowers, so the service is a lot cheaper than replacing an entire set of Delrin's. The delrin style also will not articulate as freely as a Spherical set would either, thus more friction and more wear down the road to replacement.

For a street car that sees the track, I would go with the Pfadt Poly set. If it is a dedicated track car my vote is with the Pfadt Spherical's!
Old 05-03-2012, 04:07 PM
Pfadt Racing
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by sperkins
Originally Posted by Matt @ ECS
For a street car that sees the track, I would go with the Pfadt Poly set. If it is a dedicated track car my vote is with the Pfadt Spherical's!
That front upper doesn't look like it's in the best shape. They definitely do take the brunt of the braking forces and seeing a bushing pressed out like this isn't entirely uncommon. Like CHJ In Virginia mentioned, I would move it to the top of my issues To Address Soon list.

Thanks for the recommendations guys! As far as street and track cars are concerned poly is a more forgiving material than delrin, and doesn't require custom machining to implement properly without binding which makes installation much easier for the garage mechanic. That being said it's still quite a bit of work installing a complete poly control arm kit since you still need to completely disassemble each control arm, press out the old rubber bushing and install the new poly bushing.

OP: Since your profile mentions you're in New York, if you're local to ECS they have a ton of experience with both our parts and specifically with these control arm kits. We have no doubt they would be able to take care of any installation needs.
Old 05-03-2012, 04:51 PM
0Matt @ ECS
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Pfadt Racing
That front upper doesn't look like it's in the best shape. They definitely do take the brunt of the braking forces and seeing a bushing pressed out like this isn't entirely uncommon. Like CHJ In Virginia mentioned, I would move it to the top of my issues To Address Soon list.

Thanks for the recommendations guys! As far as street and track cars are concerned poly is a more forgiving material than delrin, and doesn't require custom machining to implement properly without binding which makes installation much easier for the garage mechanic. That being said it's still quite a bit of work installing a complete poly control arm kit since you still need to completely disassemble each control arm, press out the old rubber bushing and install the new poly bushing.
Well said !

OP: Since your profile mentions you're in New York, if you're local to ECS they have a ton of experience with both our parts and specifically with these control arm kits. We have no doubt they would be able to take care of any installation needs.
Chris and I will stay at a Holiday Inn Express the night before your install.. We should be ok.

Get notified of new replies

To time for delrin bushings - pic

Quick Reply: time for delrin bushings - pic