Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

24 hours of Daytona ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2012, 07:20 PM
killain
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 512 Likes on 312 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23
Oldtimer

Default 24 hours of Daytona ?

I'm getting very interested in the Corvette team running GT2 I believe and I was wondering if anyone knew how I could go about getting tickets and logging to take in the race? Anyone know of, where and how ? Thank You !
Old 04-27-2012, 07:56 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 835 Likes on 595 Posts

I guess you're talking about the 24 hour Grand-Am series Rolex 24.

It's the end of January every year, and for 2013 will be held January 26-27.

Here's some info about it:

http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/artic...2013-rolex-24/

However, keep an eye out on the Grand-Am site and Daytona International Speedway site for specific info about getting tickets:

http://www.grand-am.com

http://www.daytonainternationalspeed...t-Daytona.aspx

If you want to run the Rolex roadcourse track yourself, there are several track events in Oct/Nov/Dec every year. Here's a link to the Hooked on Driving event in Dec:

http://www.hookedondriving.com/hooke...region/Florida

Scroll down to Dec 7-8-9 to see info about the event.

These are HPDE'S (High Performance Driving Events, or Driver Education events) so you don't need any competItive race license or anything - all you need is yor street car in good shape for some hard driving, and a helmet. Sorry, no convertibles unless they have a cage. Butt....you can drive your coupe in off the street.

There is usually a PBOC event in Oct, and an Italian marque event in Nov that will let us lowly Vettes in if Italian cars don't fill up registration.

Below is a video of my Z06 in action a couple of years ago

BTW, the factory team doesn't run in this Grand-Am series. There are usually a couple of Vettes, but they're privateers. Many of the DP (Daytona Prototype) cars run Chevy engines, but to my knowledge there's no factory support for any teams in the Grand-Am Rolex series.

Bob

Last edited by BEZ06; 04-27-2012 at 08:14 PM. Reason: Added BTW
Old 04-28-2012, 04:56 PM
TLGunman
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BEZ06
BTW, the factory team doesn't run in this Grand-Am series. There are usually a couple of Vettes, but they're privateers. Many of the DP (Daytona Prototype) cars run Chevy engines, but to my knowledge there's no factory support for any teams in the Grand-Am Rolex series.

Bob
The "Corvette" bodied DP car's get some support from Chevy, more so if running a Coyote (aka Pratt & Miller) chassis under that body. Spirit of Daytona is as close as you get to a "works" team, but still not an official factory funded team.
Old 04-29-2012, 08:12 AM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by TLGunman
The "Corvette" bodied DP car's get some support from Chevy, more so if running a Coyote (aka Pratt & Miller) chassis under that body. Spirit of Daytona is as close as you get to a "works" team, but still not an official factory funded team.
EXCELLENT!!!

Good to know that if they're representing the marque by running Chebie engines and have a very Corvette appearance (and crossed-flag logos) that they get some support from the company!!

Bob

Last edited by BEZ06; 04-29-2012 at 08:17 AM.
Old 04-29-2012, 02:37 PM
Everett Ogilvie
Melting Slicks

Speaking of Grand Am, how about those conditions for the race today at Miami Homestead? Those boys need an ARK.......
Old 04-29-2012, 04:59 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Corvettes in GT2 is ALMS

http://www.alms.com/teams/corvette-racing

http://www.alms.com/

http://www.alms.com/tickets
Old 05-01-2012, 09:28 PM
killain
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 512 Likes on 312 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23
Oldtimer

Default Corvette Racing !

This is great. I'm more interested in "Team Corvette" which I believe runs in the endurance racing like the 245 hours of Daytona and the LaMans series. I believe I read that Team Corvette, modified stock cars changed the class in and to GT2 series races. Am i correct and it the races I'm interested in. I love to attend the LaMans series.
Old 05-01-2012, 09:54 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by killain
This is great. I'm more interested in "Team Corvette" which I believe runs in the endurance racing like the 245 hours of Daytona and the LaMans series. I believe I read that Team Corvette, modified stock cars changed the class in and to GT2 series races. Am i correct and it the races I'm interested in. I love to attend the LaMans series.
If you're only interested in the factory team, you won't see them at Daytona - as mentioned in an earlier post, the Rolex 24 is part of the Grand-Am series.

Also as already mentioned, the factory team competes in the ALMS races, and the endurance races they run in are basically the 12 hour Sebring race and the 24 hours of Le Mans.

Take a look at these sites for more info:

http://www.corvetteracing.com

Http://www.americanlemans.com

Bob
Old 05-02-2012, 06:42 AM
TLGunman
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Everett Ogilvie
Speaking of Grand Am, how about those conditions for the race today at Miami Homestead? Those boys need an ARK.......
Swamp buggy races in Naples had less water!
Old 05-02-2012, 02:07 PM
gbvette62
Race Director

Received 2,029 Likes on 1,315 Posts

Originally Posted by killain
As BEZ06 and AU E NGL have indicated, there are 2 different distinct series, the American Le Mans Series (ALMS) and the Grand-Am. I think your getting confused by this.

The yellow factory backed GT class Corvettes run in the ALMS, and compete at such tracks as Le Mans and the Sebring 12 Hour. They do not participate in the Daytona 24 Hour, which is part of the Grand-Am Series.

The ALMS is made up of 5 classes: P1 (prototypes), GT (where the factory Corvettes compete against Ferrari's etc.), P2 (similar to the P1 prototypes, but smaller and less powerful), Prototype Challenge (a spec series of identical prototype cars) and GT Challenge (a spec series for identical Porsche 911 GT3 cars).

Grand-AM runs 2 classes; DP (the Daytona Prototypes, which includes 5 "Corvette Prototypes") and GT (for production based cars such as Corvettes, Camaros, BMWs, RX7's, etc.). The Grand-Am GT class is where the actor Patrick Dempsey competes.

If you want to see the yellow factory Corvettes race, you don't need to go all the way to Le Mans. The ALMS will be at Lime Rock Park in Connecticut July 6-7 (3 1/2 to 4 hours from southeastern PA) and on the streets of Baltimore Sept. 1-2. Check them out at www.limerock.com and www.2012baltimoregrandprix.com.

If you want to see the Grand-Am and the Corvette Prototypes, they will be competing at NJ Motorsports Park in Millville NJ next weekend, May 11-13. For info go to www.njmp.com.

Below are pictures of 2 of the Corvette prototype DP racers at this years Daytona 24 Hour, as well as the Whelen Corvette competing at NJ Motorsports Park last year. These 3 cars, and many others, will be at NJMP next week. There's usually a number of Forum members at this race, as well as Lime Rock and Baltimore.

Get notified of new replies

To 24 hours of Daytona ?

Quick Reply: 24 hours of Daytona ?