Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bilstein autocross shocks - 87 Corvette

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2012, 02:04 PM
mbfan72
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bilstein autocross shocks - 87 Corvette

We compete in BSP-S and at local Corvette Club events.

I have heard that Bilstein makes shocks for my car specifically for autocross use. I currently have a 1-year old set of Bilstein Z-51 gas shocks on the car.

I went to the Bilstein website but could find no listing for an autocross shock - just the shocks that I already have.

I had order a pair of rear shocks that were listed for autocross but when I received them they were the same as what I already had.

Do the autocross shocks actually exist?

Thanks.
Old 04-27-2012, 02:59 PM
SteveC68
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can send your oem Z-51 Bilstein shocks back and have them custom valved. That's about as close as you are going to get from Bilstein. Price is around $60-$80 per shock and they will want some information from you about your car in order to do the custom valving.
Old 04-27-2012, 03:55 PM
shakedown067
Le Mans Master

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Van Steel I believe have custom valved bilsteins. Paul or Dan will take care of you!

Last edited by shakedown067; 05-20-2013 at 09:04 PM.
Old 04-27-2012, 06:51 PM
Solofast
Melting Slicks

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts

Bilstein used to make the spec shocks for the Corvette Challenge series. Those shocks were brutally stiff and would literally shake a C4 to pieces if you drove them on the street. They weren't any faster than Koni's, I know I had a set and used them for autocross. Coupled with stiffer springs they might work, but a set of double adjustable shocks are tunable and the Bilsteins aren't.

Invest in a good set of adjustable shocks and get them dialed in and go from there.

Since you are in BSP you probably don't have the stock springs anyway, so you need to get a set of shocks valved and matched to your springs and with some adjustability and you should be able to get there.
Old 04-30-2012, 09:56 PM
Locke
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Give Paul at Van Steel a call.
He will ask what you have already, including spring rates and bars and recommend a shock package which fits what you plan on doing with the car.
I ran the Bilstein Sport shocks on my '96 with stock springs and Z51 bars since the car was going to see street use. I liked that set up but realize Z51 springs would have given it a little extra grip on smooth surfaces.
I've driven the 'Moroco Valving' (at least that's what they were referred to) which were alot stiffer and they would not be good for street use.
Paul has a special valving available and has talked with lots of autocrossers to get feedback which is helpful to us all.
One work of caution, Paul will not know what is legal in the sanctioning body you choose. Let him know limitations that may effect his recommendation.

Locke
North Florida Corvette Assn., NCCC
Buccaneer Region, SCCA
Jacksonville, FL
Old 05-01-2012, 09:56 AM
GS023
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Call Bilstein. They do very good work. If you have more than one set you can several different valvings. C4 shocks swap easily.

http://www.bilsteinus.com/products/s...e/service.html

Old 05-12-2013, 04:41 PM
Steve Goetsch
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have just installed rear autocross Bilstein shocks for my 96 Vette, I put new Heavy Duty Bilstein on the front. The Autocross can be purchased from Ecklers or Corvette South, but they actually come from Corvette Brakes in Florida For about $120.00 a shock. I have had the autocross shocks on for one weekend and they are coming off. Wayyyyyyyy to stiff and harsh for the street! Something on the car will break, there is no suspension exept for the springs and tires because the shocks dont give. Mine are for sale for 120.00 pair.
Old 05-13-2013, 10:59 AM
rfn026
Safety Car

Received 272 Likes on 214 Posts

I've had Bilstein build me several different sets. Right now I'm running the Corvette Challenge springs. The shocks have a bunch of rebound. I'm not sure I would like this package on the street but it works fine at Sebring.

I've got a new column coming out in the next issue of Vintage Motorsport that deals with shocks. It should be available in about 6 weeks.

Richard Newton
Facebook

Last edited by rfn026; 05-13-2013 at 07:52 PM.
Old 05-13-2013, 03:16 PM
Ecklers Vette Tech
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good afternoon,

We have a set for the rear, but nothing specific for the front for autocross.

http://www.ecklerscorvette.com/corve...1984-1987.html

Your best bet if you are looking for something stiffer for the front, is what everyone else is mentioning, having your current Bilstein's revalved, to suit your needs!

Thank you, Eckler's Family of Automotive parts.
Old 05-15-2013, 02:36 PM
rigit
Instructor

if your BSP and want to run pimp shocks, specifically Bilstien, I think this is what your looking for. http://www.gmpperformance.com/index....ail&PID=200066

beware, they are about $1500 a corner.
Old 05-18-2013, 08:33 PM
l98tpi
Max G’s
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 73 Likes on 63 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

I just purchased Koni's due to the ability of adjustment. And Koni has a very good reputation and produce a quality product. I just ran them for the first time last weekend and they compliment my set up perfectly. And they will be easy to adjust on the front. I do wish there was easier access to the rear besides removing them. Keep in mind the shocks are there to help control the oscillating of the springs not really intended for increasing spring rate, although several people do use them for that purpose.
Old 05-20-2013, 09:07 PM
shakedown067
Le Mans Master

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Originally Posted by rfn026
I've had Bilstein build me several different sets. Right now I'm running the Corvette Challenge springs. The shocks have a bunch of rebound. I'm not sure I would like this package on the street but it works fine at Sebring.
Mine likes a TON of rebound too! Not too bad on the street. I'm running coil overs too though.
Old 05-28-2013, 02:13 PM
ninety4formula
Racer

Would the Bilstein autocross shocks not be a good choice for an otherwise stock Z51 suspension? I do some driving on the street with some crappy roads (NY) but I might not consider the ride to be as stiff as other people would. For the same money is the general opinion that the Koni sports are a better choice? What about the QA1 single adjustable shocks and struts?
Old 05-28-2013, 04:18 PM
rfn026
Safety Car

Received 272 Likes on 214 Posts

Bilstein can make you anything you want. They built a set of street shocks for me. They were great. You just tell them what you want and they'll build it for you.

btw - I've got a new article coming out this month that deals with shocks. Most manufacturers feel we should stay away from adjustable shock. One company won't even sell you 4-way adjustable shocks unless you have an engineer on the team.

Most often cars end up worse with adjustable shocks. We just don't have enough experience to get it right. It's not easy folks.

Richard Newton
Old 05-29-2013, 05:25 PM
Steve Goetsch
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I will sell you a new rear set of Bilstein Autocross shocks to fit C-4. I found the ride to harsh for me, someone else may like it, these are definitely race shocks. I put Heavy Duty Bilsteins on all 4. $120.00 plus shipping for the pair of Autocross Shocks.

Get notified of new replies

To Bilstein autocross shocks - 87 Corvette

Quick Reply: Bilstein autocross shocks - 87 Corvette