Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Caliper spread at track - C5 Z06

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2012, 09:45 PM
JeremyGSU
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Default Caliper spread at track - C5 Z06

Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone else had consistent bad caliper spread on a C5 Z06. In order for the pedal to be firm at Sebring in every corner I have to essentially double pump the brakes. It gets kind of annoying. Just before entry I quickly tap it once and on the second tap I hold it like normal. Otherwise, the pedal goes down really far before taking effect. Is there any way to fix this? Are my calipers going bad? The car only has 20,000 miles on it and 6 track days.

My setup is:

DBA 4000 F rotors / stock rear
RP2 front pads / XP10 rear
Motul 600 / Doug Rippie brake kit

I'm in the advanced group running on Nitto NT 555 RII's. I burned through the RP2's in 2 days at Sebring.

Is this just the limit of what the stock brakes can do? Think it's time to move to a BBK? I was pushing the brakes pretty hard.

Doesn't Wildwood make a front kit that fits under the oem 17's?

Last edited by JeremyGSU; 04-23-2012 at 10:16 PM.
Old 04-23-2012, 10:23 PM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I haven't ran the RP2 pad in TT or sprint races but going through a set of skinny OEM pads in 2 days is possible if the track is hard braking and you do a ton of laps. CMP comes to mind
Old 04-23-2012, 10:28 PM
rayk
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ran into the funny pedal on my mustang cobra brakes after I installed Speed Bleeders. Are you using speed bleeders?
Old 04-23-2012, 10:33 PM
spdislife
Le Mans Master

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

I have the stock rotors and Carbotechs on mine. As the pads wear I tend to get a bit of a longer pedal. Also depending on how bumpy the track surface is, the pistons will get bumped back into the caliper. That usually happens after a long straight. I just roll my left foot over and tap the brake pedal to set the pistons/pads and remove the excess play before braking in earnest. Also was told that as the pads wear and the pistons are out of the calipers further, the dust boots will tend to pull the pistons back and increase the play. Sounds logical to me.
Old 04-23-2012, 11:19 PM
JeremyGSU
Drifting

Originally Posted by rayk
I ran into the funny pedal on my mustang cobra brakes after I installed Speed Bleeders. Are you using speed bleeders?
No, we manually bleed them each time using two people. I don't want to have to do the "tap" method on every straight away. Gets annoying and I've never driven a car where I have to do that.
Old 04-23-2012, 11:52 PM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by JeremyGSU
No, we manually bleed them each time using two people. I don't want to have to do the "tap" method on every straight away. Gets annoying and I've never driven a car where I have to do that.
Have you checked your brake fluid at the end of the day? If you bleed a little from the front calipers and the fluid comes out black when new fluid is clear, then that will affect pedal height.

I don't engage in this tap stuff. If the pedal is going lower as the day goes on, I just add a shim or 2 to my custom brake pedal cover. But with SRF in system I really don't have to do this at all on the toughest of braking tracks. I'm in ABS most of the way on 2 of the 3 brake zones on the R-II's.
Old 04-24-2012, 12:06 AM
whatcop?
Le Mans Master

Location: Daytona Beach/ Atlanta---- Good Ol' Florida Boy/ Georgia
Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts

Almost sounds like air in the system.
Old 04-24-2012, 12:06 AM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

After several years of this hobby, I'm convinced that the whole "caliper spread" issue is just internet hype. I have hundreds of hard laps on the same calipers over the last 2-1/2 years. During that time I experienced highs and lows with brake performance and none of the bad times were ever related to caliper spread. I've measured brand new calipers against the ones I've beaten the snot out of and they are exactly the same. Brian (travisnd) can confirm the exact same results after measuring his after similar usage.

There was a period of time that lasted about 6 months where I couldn't get a good pedal no matter what I tried. I flushed the system like crazy and even replaced the master cylinder, but never was able to get it right so I assumed the calipers were bad and I removed them.

Well I just put the exact same calipers back on the car and the pedal hasn't felt this good since the day I bought the car. I don't know what it was or what changed, but it obvioulsy wasn't "caliper spread".
One thing for sure is that the system is extremely sensitive to pad taper so I recommend flipping pads and swapping side to side very often.
Old 04-24-2012, 12:36 AM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by sperkins
After several years of this hobby, I'm convinced that the whole "caliper spread" issue is just internet hype. I have hundreds of hard laps on the same calipers over the last 2-1/2 years. During that time I experienced highs and lows with brake performance and none of the bad times were ever related to caliper spread. I've measured brand new calipers against the ones I've beaten the snot out of and they are exactly the same. Brian (travisnd) can confirm the exact same results after measuring his after similar usage.

There was a period of time that lasted about 6 months where I couldn't get a good pedal no matter what I tried. I flushed the system like crazy and even replaced the master cylinder, but never was able to get it right so I assumed the calipers were bad and I removed them.

Well I just put the exact same calipers back on the car and the pedal hasn't felt this good since the day I bought the car. I don't know what it was or what changed, but it obvioulsy wasn't "caliper spread".
One thing for sure is that the system is extremely sensitive to pad taper so I recommend flipping pads and swapping side to side very often.

A certain amount of pad taper is "normal" with sliding caliper brakes, it's just the physics of how it works. I have never seen documentation of permanently spread calipers, due to normal track use. If you have photos of measurable permanent spread, please post them to this thread. Enlighten us all. A soft and or long pedal can be caused by quite a few things.
Old 04-24-2012, 08:29 AM
PushinTheLimit
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sperkins

Last year, I fought a long soft pedal for about 2/3rds of the season. It was very frustrating and cause some tense moments for me out on the track. I was using Carbotech XP12, XP10 pads. After about 5 laps into a race, I would always have to double pump my brakes for all turns.

So I put on some Wilwood SL6 front calipers thinking that would solve the problem... not much better. Then I changed my brake master, no better. I bled my brakes after every single race and just couldn't figure out what was going on with them. So I decided to switch over to Hawk DTC-70 brakes and Ferodo Racing brake fluid and my pedal instantly got better. I ran them at Nashville SS and Roebling Road (5 races total) and never once bled them or even took the calipers off to change pads. I had good brakes even with the pads not having much material left.

The conclusion that I came to was that it wasn't the Carbotech brakes... I think they were fine. I felt it was the fluid. I'm considering going to Castrol SRF next year, but I just wish it wasn't so pricey. But if it keeps a good pedal and not have to bleed after every session... I'm all for it.

Last edited by PushinTheLimit; 05-14-2012 at 08:25 AM.
Old 04-24-2012, 08:39 AM
JeremyGSU
Drifting

Originally Posted by PushinTheLimit
Last year, I fought a long soft pedal for about 2/3rds of the season. It was very frustrating and cause some tense moments for me out on the track. I was using Carbotech XP12, XP10 pads and Amsoil DOT4 fluid. After about 5 laps into a race, I would always have to double pump my brakes for all turns.

So I put on some Wilwood SL6 front calipers thinking that would solve the problem... not much better. Then I changed my brake master, no better. I bled my brakes after every single race and just couldn't figure out what was going on with them. So I decided to switch over to Hawk DTC-70 brakes and Ferodo Racing brake fluid and my pedal instantly got better. I ran them at Nashville SS and Roebling Road (5 races total) and never once bled them or even took the calipers off to change pads. I had good brakes even with the pads not having much material left.

The conclusion that I came to was that it wasn't the Carbotech brakes... I think they were fine. I felt it was the fluid. I'm considering going to Castrol SRF next year, but I just wish it wasn't so pricey. But if it keeps a good pedal and not have to bleed after every session... I'm all for it.
HHHMM, I'm an idiot for not even thinking about trying a different fluid first. My racing buddy has been pushing me to use Amsoil. Maybe I'll give that a shot. Currently I use Motul 600.

I'll try running a number of different fluids and see what happens. Perhaps it is as simple as that.
Old 04-24-2012, 08:40 AM
JeremyGSU
Drifting

Originally Posted by sothpaw2
Have you checked your brake fluid at the end of the day? If you bleed a little from the front calipers and the fluid comes out black when new fluid is clear, then that will affect pedal height.

I don't engage in this tap stuff. If the pedal is going lower as the day goes on, I just add a shim or 2 to my custom brake pedal cover. But with SRF in system I really don't have to do this at all on the toughest of braking tracks. I'm in ABS most of the way on 2 of the 3 brake zones on the R-II's.
Yeah, it was somewhat dirty but not terribly. My student was running Motul 600 that was fresh in the beginning and was dirty towards the middle of the day too.

I think I'm going to try a different fluid and see what happens before swapping calipers, pads, etc. One thing at a time. If a lot of guys are having success with the oem setup then I need to try some different combos.
Old 04-24-2012, 10:12 AM
SoDiezl350
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone else had consistent bad caliper spread on a C5 Z06. In order for the pedal to be firm at Sebring in every corner I have to essentially double pump the brakes. It gets kind of annoying. Just before entry I quickly tap it once and on the second tap I hold it like normal. Otherwise, the pedal goes down really far before taking effect. Is there any way to fix this? Are my calipers going bad? The car only has 20,000 miles on it and 6 track days.

My setup is:

DBA 4000 F rotors / stock rear
RP2 front pads / XP10 rear
Motul 600 / Doug Rippie brake kit

I'm in the advanced group running on Nitto NT 555 RII's. I burned through the RP2's in 2 days at Sebring.

Is this just the limit of what the stock brakes can do? Think it's time to move to a BBK? I was pushing the brakes pretty hard.

Doesn't Wildwood make a front kit that fits under the oem 17's?
I can't imagine the Motul 600 being the culprit here. That's a very good fluid. What it really sounds like to me is pad knockback, something that everyone experiences unless they have anti knockback springs.
Old 04-24-2012, 10:26 AM
TB04TJ
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How fresh are your wheel hub bearings? As they age, the piston knock-back can increase.
A quote from SKF:
'The SKF Corvette Racing Hub unit is designed to provide high stiffness during cornering, thereby reducing piston knock-back and the need to trail brake.'
Old 04-24-2012, 10:57 AM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by TB04TJ
How fresh are your wheel hub bearings? As they age, the piston knock-back can increase.
A quote from SKF:
'The SKF Corvette Racing Hub unit is designed to provide high stiffness during cornering, thereby reducing piston knock-back and the need to trail brake.'
there are lots of items at play, but for sure the SKF seem to do much better in this regard, even with slide rail calipers
Old 04-24-2012, 12:32 PM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Yeah, it was somewhat dirty but not terribly. My student was running Motul 600 that was fresh in the beginning and was dirty towards the middle of the day too.

I think I'm going to try a different fluid and see what happens before swapping calipers, pads, etc. One thing at a time. If a lot of guys are having success with the oem setup then I need to try some different combos.
My opinion is that on agressive braking tracks, the stock system needs SRF. For VIR Full, you can get away w/Motul; there the brakes have a chance to cool between brake zones. I am trying to make the SRF more cost effective by flushing w/it at beginning of year and then topping off the reservoir w/Motul after the 1st-2nd bleed.
Old 04-24-2012, 05:08 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

HHHMM, I'm an idiot for not even thinking about trying a different fluid first. My racing buddy has been pushing me to use Amsoil. Maybe I'll give that a shot. Currently I use Motul 600.

I'll try running a number of different fluids and see what happens. Perhaps it is as simple as that.
SRF end of story last longer so don't go by the price per bottle compare by the $/fluid oz. Also consider oz per mile. For me cheapest per mile is SRF.

Wheel bearing can do it also.

Get notified of new replies

To Caliper spread at track - C5 Z06

Old 04-24-2012, 07:01 PM
JeremyGSU
Drifting

Originally Posted by John Shiels
SRF end of story last longer so don't go by the price per bottle compare by the $/fluid oz. Also consider oz per mile. For me cheapest per mile is SRF.

Wheel bearing can do it also.
What is SRF?
Old 04-24-2012, 07:14 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

What is SRF?
racing brake fluid. You can get it from DRM dougrippie.com
Old 04-24-2012, 07:29 PM
Racingswh
Melting Slicks

Received 1,073 Likes on 644 Posts

Originally Posted by TB04TJ
A quote from SKF:

Replace your wheel bearings and see how you make out. I can almost guarantee the condition will diminish significantly if not cure the problem all together. I have gone through the exact same issue.

Quick Reply: Caliper spread at track - C5 Z06