Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need some info on CF driveshafts

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2012, 06:43 PM
cb63
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need some info on CF driveshafts

Plan on getting a CF driveshaft this summer along with some other driveline upgrades. Anyone have experience with any of the ones I have found

Pfadt $2000 and comes with its own giubo's This is the only one I have heard comments on and they have all been good

LG $1400 and looks like you need to buy their guibo's at $130 ea

Drive Shaft Shop $1300 no guibo's needed with theirs

Zip $1300 and $300 for guibo's

Pfadt's are the most expensive. I have a ton of Pfadt products on my car and like them but are they that much better than the others

Any real life experience with any of these would be appreciated
Old 03-19-2012, 07:52 PM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Is the DSS shaft carbon?
Old 03-19-2012, 07:56 PM
Black89Z51
Suckin' gas, haulin' ass.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I think Pfadt put a video out of them intentionally breaking one of their driveshafts. Somewhere around 1400 lbs of torque to do it.
Old 03-20-2012, 12:33 PM
Pfadt Racing
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Our carbon fiber driveshaft is about as strong as you could ever possibly need for a Corvette. We definitely do have a durability video of our driveshaft finally yeilding, but 1400lbs is just half the story.

During our testing we repeatedly cycled a single driveshaft over 500,000 times at 1350lbs with no signs of fatigue. We then decided to find out exactly how much force it would take to fail one of these Military spec driveshafts. At 4500ft/lbs the bond between the machined shaft end and the carbon tube finally broke... if you can generate 4500ft/lbs of torque at your torque tube you've definitely got a MONSTER build!

Durability is a key feature for this upgrade, and by eliminating the factory rubber couplers on both ends of the driveshaft and replacing them with a custom designed flex disk you can expect not only less overall maintenance, but improved performance and less deflection in the driveline. The key reason the factory includes 2 large rubber couplers is to take into account angular discrepencies between the engine and transmission, by using the giubos as a bushing it prevents harmful loading on the bearings and driveshaft it's self. Our Flex Disk system also allows for this, while remaining solid in rotation. This gives you the best of both worlds, the performance of a solid billet coupler without the potential damage to bearings and the shaft it's self under long term use.

The Carbon Fiber driveshaft is one of my favorite products we sell. Not only will you eliminate 4 pounds of weight from the factory driveline, but dramatically improve durability at the same time. We have applications for most C5/C6 Corvettes, but to ensure that we have the proper length for your particular year and transmission combination it's best to give us a call.

Check out the video below for the Torque yield results:

A close up of the Hardened studs included in the kit, as well as the flex disk as it sits on the shaft:

Last edited by Pfadt Racing; 03-20-2012 at 12:41 PM.
Old 03-20-2012, 04:20 PM
cb63
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The DSS shaft is CF

Get notified of new replies

To Need some info on CF driveshafts

Quick Reply: Need some info on CF driveshafts