Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about removing seat belts for harnesses.

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2012, 12:12 AM
Cliff99C5hardtop
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Question about removing seat belts for harnesses.

I just purchased a RSD Roll Bar and Corbeau A4 seats in my C5 hardtop. I want to eliminate the factory seat belts to use just the harnesses that I purchased. I was wondering if anyone knew of a blank pillar to fill in where the seat belt would sit on the floors? I don't want to hack up the stock ones just in case I want to put them back to stock ever. Any help???
Old 03-19-2012, 12:22 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,918 Likes on 5,327 Posts

Why not see if any of the Corvette Used Parts dealers have a set of B Pillar moldings and just cut them to eliminate the section you are talking about. It is a race car so it doesn't really need to look all that pretty. Pretty usually slows a car down.

Bill
Old 03-19-2012, 12:51 AM
Cliff99C5hardtop
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
Why not see if any of the Corvette Used Parts dealers have a set of B Pillar moldings and just cut them to eliminate the section you are talking about. It is a race car so it doesn't really need to look all that pretty. Pretty usually slows a car down.

Bill
That's part of my problem......I want to keep it looking good.

Thanks for the info, I think I may try that idea!
Old 03-19-2012, 07:51 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Just take the 3-point and put it behind your seat, and click it there.
Old 03-19-2012, 11:57 AM
Last C5
Safety Car

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Pretty usually slows a car down.

Bill
In that case I ought to be the fastest thing around.
Thanks for the confidence builder Bill.
Old 03-19-2012, 11:59 AM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 475 Likes on 422 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Will the car still be driven on the street? If so, you could very well get pulled over for no seat belts. Aftermarket 5 and 6 point harness systems are not DOT-approved and I think that every state requires the use of OEM belts on the street.

And using a harness on the street is a PITA especially if you are in and out of the car a number of times per day.

Most harness manufacturers will provide attachment pieces that will allow the continued use of the OEM belts. When I bought my G-Force harnesses, they came with slightly longer bolts for mounting both the OEM belts and the lap harness belts at the factory locations. Same with the shoulder belt mounting bolts. The roll bar should not interfere with the OEM belt mounting points.
Old 03-19-2012, 02:07 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,918 Likes on 5,327 Posts

Originally Posted by Cliff99C5hardtop
That's part of my problem......I want to keep it looking good.

Thanks for the info, I think I may try that idea!
I take it you are trying to get a little more room along the B Pillars. The stock lap belt retractor down by the floor uses a couple of inches of floor space. I know when I put my race seats in my C5Z I was limited to a 17 inch wide seat since the retractor pushed out from the frame right at the rear of the seat mounting rails and severely limited seat mounting options.

Here are some marked pictures of what I think you are trying to cut back.

You probably know you can remove the lower panel separately from the quarter panel piece where the shoulder belt mount is located.

There may be a way to cut the lower panel diagonally so it bends inward toward the frame rail and can be fastened to the frame rail when the retractor is removed. Would still take up room on the B pillar but would give more room on the floor and just above it. That panel attaches to the B pillar with pins that are glued to the back side of the panel so you would have to remove those pins, shorten them some way and then reglue them.

Bill
Old 03-19-2012, 08:10 PM
Cliff99C5hardtop
Burning Brakes

I take it you are trying to get a little more room along the B Pillars. The stock lap belt retractor down by the floor uses a couple of inches of floor space. I know when I put my race seats in my C5Z I was limited to a 17 inch wide seat since the retractor pushed out from the frame right at the rear of the seat mounting rails and severely limited seat mounting options.

Here are some marked pictures of what I think you are trying to cut back.

You probably know you can remove the lower panel separately from the quarter panel piece where the shoulder belt mount is located.

There may be a way to cut the lower panel diagonally so it bends inward toward the frame rail and can be fastened to the frame rail when the retractor is removed. Would still take up room on the B pillar but would give more room on the floor and just above it. That panel attaches to the B pillar with pins that are glued to the back side of the panel so you would have to remove those pins, shorten them some way and then reglue them.

Bill
Great info and pics!!!! I should not have an issue with being legal or not, I am on the job......also, I do not drive this car every day so i should be fine.

Get notified of new replies

To Question about removing seat belts for harnesses.

Quick Reply: Question about removing seat belts for harnesses.