Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1st gear grinding??

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2012, 10:02 PM
thatonedude1
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1st gear grinding??

Just got back from a Chin Motorsports day. I noticed after the last session, the car is grinding when I try to engage 1st gear. All the other gears shift normally and smoothly. What's wrong? Clutch?
Old 03-17-2012, 11:30 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by thatonedude1
Just got back from a Chin Motorsports day. I noticed after the last session, the car is grinding when I try to engage 1st gear. All the other gears shift normally and smoothly. What's wrong? Clutch?
That's not much to go on.

Clutch not disengaging will usually show up in more than one gear.

First gear syncro wear is also not usual.

Here's what I suggest:

Change tranny fluid Redline D4ATF.

Do shifter alignment procedure.

Do Ranger clutch fluid exchange, until it remains clear. Use at least 500 f dry fluid. 600f is better.

Check back after all that & update

That all will cost you about 30 bucks & 1 hour time.

Old 03-19-2012, 10:05 AM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

Pilot bearing. $8 part, but a lot of labor to replace.
Old 03-21-2012, 09:12 PM
thatonedude1
Racer

Default Pretty sure it's the syncro

I'm pretty sure it's the syncro. If I hold in the clutch for about 5 seconds while leaning lightly on the shifter, I can feel the gear slow down and it let's me into first.
Old 03-22-2012, 02:24 AM
rustyguns
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I'm pretty sure it's the syncro. If I hold in the clutch for about 5 seconds while leaning lightly on the shifter, I can feel the gear slow down and it let's me into first.
change your tranny fluid.. I like GM syncromesh or royal purple syncromax. G/L
Old 03-22-2012, 04:53 PM
cire96
Burning Brakes

The first gear syncrornizer only comes into play when the car is moving. Sitting still, it has no function. What I fear you have is a clutch that is not fully disengaging and which is letting the input shaft continue to rotate with limited torque. When you lean on the shifter, you are applying friction that eventually overcomes that drag.
Cire
Old 03-22-2012, 06:13 PM
froggy47
Race Director

I'd like to follow up with a 1st gear question that may evolve the thread into a solution for the OP.

When I engage 1st gear, I get the slightest forward movement of the vehicle. If you are not actually paying attention to it, you would not notice it.

What do you think that's from?

Original drive train 45k miles 2004 z.

EVERYTHING is maintained 100 %.

Some tranny guru probably has an idea.
Old 03-22-2012, 07:45 PM
rustyguns
Le Mans Master

Default input shaft

Originally Posted by cire96
The first gear syncrornizer only comes into play when the car is moving. Sitting still, it has no function. What I fear you have is a clutch that is not fully disengaging and which is letting the input shaft continue to rotate with limited torque. When you lean on the shifter, you are applying friction that eventually overcomes that drag.
Cire
my money is on the clutch slave cylinder
Old 03-22-2012, 08:38 PM
UstaB-GS549
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by froggy47
I'd like to follow up with a 1st gear question that may evolve the thread into a solution for the OP.

When I engage 1st gear, I get the slightest forward movement of the vehicle. If you are not actually paying attention to it, you would not notice it.

What do you think that's from?

Original drive train 45k miles 2004 z.

EVERYTHING is maintained 100 %.

Some tranny guru probably has an idea.
My experience w 2002 Z06 28,000 miles, plenty of track hours:

Can't get car in gear with engine running. First or reverse. Shut engine off, restart with shifter in first or reverse and clutch works fine. Problem goes away.

Months later similar. Car pulls ahead just a tiny bit with shifter in first and clutch all the way in. Problem goes away.

Months later, problem is back with a vengeance. It comes and goes. I drop it off at dealer and it works perfectly. Replace everything and find that tabs are broken off pressure plate.
Old 03-22-2012, 09:24 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Originally Posted by UstaB-GS549

Can't get car in gear with engine running. First or reverse. Shut engine off, restart with shifter in first or reverse and clutch works fine. Problem goes away.

Months later similar. Car pulls ahead just a tiny bit with shifter in first and clutch all the way in. Problem goes away.

Months later, problem is back with a vengeance. It comes and goes. I drop it off at dealer and it works perfectly. Replace everything and find that tabs are broken off pressure plate.

Mine is a little different, it moves a very small amount going into gear (easily) but does not creep forward at all once in gear with clutch down.

Old 03-23-2012, 12:31 AM
rustyguns
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by UstaB-GS549

welcome to the world of the crappy self adjusting GM clutches. 99 % of all the smart track junkies replace the GM clutch
Old 03-23-2012, 11:49 PM
thatonedude1
Racer

Originally Posted by cire96
Cire
Cire, what you describe seems to fit, because as I lean on the shifter lightly it seems to move right to the edge of gear engagement, and I can "feel" the gear still rotating, and feel it slowing down. Once it slows down and stops (after about 5-7 seconds), it engages easily. Am I ultimetely going to need a new master or slave cylinder?
Old 09-12-2013, 11:26 AM
shrddr
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you ever find out what caused this problem, and what the fix was?
Old 10-14-2013, 10:11 PM
thatonedude1
Racer

Never did figure this out. I replaced the fluid yesterday with the prescribed GM fluid. 8500 miles now. The stuff coming out seemed to be okay. Still pretty clear, red, and with lubricity. It seems to be the same with the fresh fluid. It's odd because all other shifts are really good, especially when warmed up. I may take it to the dealer, but I'm afraid they will just screw me because of MGW shifter, headers and tune.
Old 10-15-2013, 12:07 AM
froggy47
Race Director

Never did figure this out. I replaced the fluid yesterday with the prescribed GM fluid. 8500 miles now. The stuff coming out seemed to be okay. Still pretty clear, red, and with lubricity. It seems to be the same with the fresh fluid. It's odd because all other shifts are really good, especially when warmed up. I may take it to the dealer, but I'm afraid they will just screw me because of MGW shifter, headers and tune.
Did you try putting a stock shifter back in?

Get notified of new replies

To 1st gear grinding??

Quick Reply: 1st gear grinding??