Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steering Rack

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2012, 01:59 PM
vms4evr
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Steering Rack

So my steering rack in my 02 Z06 is leaking and the high pressure hose is also pretty well gone.

Should I just replace with OEM or is there a good HiPo aftermarket one I should use?

I run wide Hoosiers up front, 315s. So no doubt harder on the rack. Yep it's a track car.
Old 03-14-2012, 02:32 PM
travisnd
Safety Car

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Turn One will re-build them to their spec. Quick turn-around and good prices. You can get a new OEM C5 rack anymore; only reman.

Out of curiosity where is it leaking from?
Old 03-14-2012, 08:26 PM
yooper
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

subscribed
Old 03-14-2012, 08:33 PM
vms4evr
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not sure where it is leaking from. I'm not taking it apart. It's in the shop getting some work done and while they have it apart I asked them to check. It leaked again. The high pressure hose is also rotted and messy. Having both parts replaced. It acted up when I got home from the last event at VIR at the end of last year. So timing was good.

Thanks for the info on Turn One. I called them, it's 10-14 days. Doesn't include time to ship there and back. That's closer to 3 weeks. Don't have that much time. We're getting a reman unit here in a couple of days. I may keep the original core and send it out to them later.
Old 03-15-2012, 12:51 AM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Turnone is the way to go!
Old 03-15-2012, 10:59 AM
96CollectorSport
Melting Slicks

Location: If you don't weigh in you don't wrestle Road America
Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

There is a hard plastic shell inside the steering rack that encases the sensor inside the rack. If that plastic shell cracks there is nothing that they can do about it. I had a rack in one of our ST2 cars that was leaking and we sent it to Turn 1 they rebuilt it but told us it was still going to leak because of the shell inside the unit. We tried sealing it off from the outside but nothing took. Now I typically get racks for around $150 rebuilt/exchange and they have them in stock. Unfortunatly you never know how good the exchange unit is going to be.

A couple more helpful hints are to take some rubber hose and put that on the hard lines that are on the rack itself. This softens the vibration on the lines that can lead to the line cracking at the fitting. Sometimes the racks I get on exchange have lines that are beat up from shipping or removal so I usally just use the best two lines out of the four and put them on the rack that's going in.

Another good upgrade to the C5 ps system is to upgrade to the LS2 style ps pump pulley. The C5 pulley is hard plastic that is bonded to a steel hub, the bond let go on one of our cars and we replaced a pump we didn't need to. The LS2 style pulley is all steel and have "windows" which make removing the pump easier.

Get notified of new replies

To Steering Rack

Quick Reply: Steering Rack