Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Big Brakes ABS issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2012, 04:47 PM
Cadex
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Big Brakes ABS issues

Looking at big brakes, likely Wilwoods, on my 08C6 . However, I've a friend with a fairly stock 2009 C6 that has had constanct problems with the Bosch controlled ABS when installing larger brakes. I know 09s used the Bosch system. Anyone have any problems with big brakes on your C6?
Old 03-12-2012, 08:12 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,919 Likes on 5,328 Posts

I run Wilwood W6A calipers on the front of my 08Z with no ABS issues. I know people that run Stop Techs and Brembos as well on 08 and earlier Corvettes. Changing calipers usually will not cause any obvious issue you will notice or would cause an ABS light. You do have to realize the ABS was calibrated as a system based on certain characteristics of each of the system's parts. Those characteristics include the tire's friction, brake pad friction, how fast the calipers react to the pressure modulator, etc. Changing any of these will have some affect although most of the time the affect isn't quantifiable.

I know people who have installed aftermarket calipers on 09 and newer Corvettes with no issue with the Bosch controller so I suspect your friend has done something else that is causing the issues he is having.

Bill
Old 03-12-2012, 08:19 PM
Kubs
Le Mans Master

Received 1,731 Likes on 936 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

What calipers did your friend install? If the piston volume is different by a lot it will "confuse" the ABS. Moving an amount of fluid that the ABS is not calibrated for will result in an error.
Old 03-14-2012, 01:10 AM
morris
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I had what I thought were issues with my pfc brakes, turned out I didn't bed them even though I thought I did and my tires were simply heat cycled out. The brakes are only as good as the tires big brakes are great but if the tires aren't up to it you will get abs kicking in a lot more
Old 03-14-2012, 01:26 AM
fatbillybob
Melting Slicks

Received 204 Likes on 160 Posts

BBK's need to be engineered to work with the stock master. Too many of these are just papernapkin calculated jobs.
Old 03-14-2012, 04:23 AM
longdaddy
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

have your friend try different brake lines. I have heard (several times) of weird electrical issues with some aftermarket brake lines (which are usually matched to a BBK by a seller/distributor, so not necesserily tested).

i could never understand how a brake line can cause electrical issues - static build-up maybe? but I actually met someone who experienced the issue firsthand, so I am reasonably sure this is not old wives tale.

Last edited by longdaddy; 03-14-2012 at 12:20 PM.
Old 03-14-2012, 10:48 AM
96CollectorSport
Melting Slicks

Location: If you don't weigh in you don't wrestle Road America
Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

What size tires is he using? If he changed wheels and tires when he put the brake kit on that could cause ABS/Active Handling issues. Just throwing that out there.
Old 03-14-2012, 11:06 AM
sabastian458
Melting Slicks

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

How large are the Wilwoods?

Not the same as your C6 vette, but I installed C6Z06 brakes onto my C5Z06 with no abs issures. 14in & 13.4in I believe are the sizes.

Have you thought about just picking up a set of those?
Old 03-14-2012, 02:10 PM
JRitt@essex
Supporting Vendor

Received 417 Likes on 271 Posts

Before you pull the trigger on Wilwoods, please take a look at our proven system: The Hardbar/AP Racing T1 setup is on sale right now. More info on the Essex Site (we co-developed with Hardbar).

We took brake bias into account when developing this system, so it works well with the OEM master cylinder. We have a wide array of C6's running/winning races with them without any ABS issues at all. It is a proven system with excellent durability and the lowest long-term running costs on the market, and it has features not found in other systems.

Feel free to email me if you have any questions.
Old 03-14-2012, 09:13 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,919 Likes on 5,328 Posts

Originally Posted by longdaddy

i could never understand how a brake line can cause electrical issues - static build-up maybe? but I actually met someone who experienced the issue firsthand, so I am reasonably sure this is not old wives tale.
I am not sure either but have noticed the following: The stock lines have no have no way of providing a current path from the caliper to the frame. Some braided hoses aren't isolated from the metal fittings at the caliper end thus provide a current path to the frame. These are the ones that seem to give trouble. Don't know why but it might be because some sort of ground loop is set up due to multiple ground points and that affects the ability of the EBCM to read the small signal from the wheel speed sensors.

Bill

Get notified of new replies

To Big Brakes ABS issues

Quick Reply: Big Brakes ABS issues