Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

average/best lap times at hpde events

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2012, 06:08 PM
sla07
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default average/best lap times at hpde events

is there any way to find the average and/or best lap times at hpde events?...would be interested to see what the average and/or best one is at different locations...for the moment it would be homestead's track...would be cool to see how the different corvettes do around that track, base, z51, gs, z06, zr1, etc...
Old 03-11-2012, 06:38 PM
heavychevy
Safety Car

Received 179 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by sla07
is there any way to find the average and/or best lap times at hpde events?...would be interested to see what the average and/or best one is at different locations...for the moment it would be homestead's track...would be cool to see how the different corvettes do around that track, base, z51, gs, z06, zr1, etc...
No. But you can go to the track and hand time them. I used to do that before I stepped up to advanced group, and still do from time to time if I just go to spectate.
Old 03-11-2012, 07:12 PM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

Received 297 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'08

You could probably find YouTube videos of each track which would give you an idea of times for various drivers.
Old 03-11-2012, 08:01 PM
Corvee
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Personally, I don't believe DE times are meaningful due to timing inconsistency and disparity between cars and drivers. However, you can search NASA Time Trial records by class and get a good idea of what a times are put down by the better drivers, based on car classification by weight/HP (i.e. C6Z06/ZR1 = TTU, stock C5Z06, base C6 = TTA etc.)The times are recorded by track transponder. Here is a link to Fla region but other regions on the same page (Texas is not updated here): http://www.nasa-tt.com/Florida_Track_Records

Last edited by Corvee; 03-11-2012 at 09:11 PM.
Old 03-11-2012, 08:52 PM
sla07
Melting Slicks

Holy moly!!! 1:35 for TTA class, then again it is a 911 lol

Thanks for the input guys...will check out the different options
Old 03-12-2012, 07:23 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

DE or HPDEs should not be timed. that creates too competition and racing.

DEs are EDUCATION events. Education events are should not be based on timing. Comp and TT schools are differnt.

PLUS and this is the big one the major insurance carries for HPDEs does not allow timing. If there is timing, there is no insurance coverage.

That said, if a club wants to do lapping days, then time away and that club can get insurance but at a higher rate.

NASA TT plus SCCA qualifications are about the best way

for the most part the C5Zs are still the fastest on "just about" any track.

Last edited by AU N EGL; 03-12-2012 at 07:26 AM.
Old 03-12-2012, 09:15 AM
taken19
Track Junky

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
Tech Contributor

Holy moly!!! 1:35 for TTA class, then again it is a 911 lol

Thanks for the input guys...will check out the different options
Yeah, we have a LOOOOOONG way to go. Remember that these cars are on good suspension setups and Hoosiers (or similar). We are still running stock springs, shocks, bushings and street tires. All that makes a pretty big difference.

I was playing around with alignment during my last event and found some settings that seem to work well. Toe can be adjusted in the pit in 5 min or less per axle.
Old 03-12-2012, 09:40 AM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Traffic makes them worthless even in advanced/instructor groups. It will give you an idea of the overall pace of the run group, but not the individual driver. I can't remember an event I went to in the last 2-3 years (outside time trials) where I actually had the ability to run a few hard laps. That was one of the contributing factors in my decison to go into semi-HPDE retirement.
Old 03-12-2012, 11:03 AM
Bill32
Melting Slicks

Received 69 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
DE or HPDEs should not be timed. that creates too competition and racing.

DEs are EDUCATION events. Education events are should not be based on timing. Comp and TT schools are differnt.

PLUS and this is the big one the major insurance carries for HPDEs does not allow timing. If there is timing, there is no insurance coverage.

That said, if a club wants to do lapping days, then time away and that club can get insurance but at a higher rate.

NASA TT plus SCCA qualifications are about the best way

for the most part the C5Zs are still the fastest on "just about" any track.
Tom, we don't have a problem with insurance in our SCCA events (TT and HPDE in the same event). But, you're right about no timing, should be educational.

We run:
PDX (HPDE) - no timing, with instructors, 2 or 3 groups, Novice, advanced.
Club Trials - Street Cars, timed with transponders.
Time Trials - Mostly Race Cars - timed with transponders.
Old 03-12-2012, 11:34 AM
sla07
Melting Slicks

maybe i asked it incorrectly...i get that there is no timing at a professional level or anything...im just talking about my own timing with an iphone app...im assuming at some level that is shunned upon...which is why i asked the instructors what the policy was...they stated that it depended on the instructor ultimately...for me, i just wanted to see where i was in relation to last time i was out there and if i was speeding up on my own by just hitting the corners correctly and braking at different points...the last session i did where i shaved off time i asked the instructor to ride along with me so he can see what im doing and point anything out that i could adjust...needless to say, when he suggested the better braking points, i shaved off time instantly...my line was maintained and everything was ran pretty smoothly the rest of the way...

i assumed at some level taking a car to the track, insurance goes out the door unless you purchase track insurance?...the responsibility is ultimately on me and i "get" that...
Old 03-12-2012, 12:03 PM
DarkMastyr
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've got some lap times that I've collected here and there just to keep some notes, and it would be nice to compare to other folks to see where I stack up. 2:00 at Sears, 2:13 at THill, 1:49 at Laguna. Unfortunately very few other people around here are driving bone stock C6 Z51 on street tires, so all I can conclude is that I'm SLOW compared to everyone else lol!
Old 03-12-2012, 12:05 PM
sla07
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by DarkMastyr
I've got some lap times that I've collected here and there just to keep some notes, and it would be nice to compare to other folks to see where I stack up. 2:00 at Sears, 2:13 at THill, 1:49 at Laguna. Unfortunately very few other people around here are driving bone stock C6 Z51 on street tires, so all I can conclude is that I'm SLOW compared to everyone else lol!

thats what im trying to find out as well...ive only done homestead...and so far 1:49.63 is my best lap time...im on street tires and just upgraded brake pads for the track...z51 as well
Old 03-12-2012, 12:07 PM
sla07
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by taken19
Yeah, we have a LOOOOOONG way to go. Remember that these cars are on good suspension setups and Hoosiers (or similar). We are still running stock springs, shocks, bushings and street tires. All that makes a pretty big difference.

I was playing around with alignment during my last event and found some settings that seem to work well. Toe can be adjusted in the pit in 5 min or less per axle.
yea it looks like we are way off lol...but, i cant imagine those cars are bone stock though...thats the thing...trying to compare apples to apples in this scenario and doesnt seem like thats feasible to even find out since you technically shouldnt be concerned about times anyway...
Old 03-12-2012, 12:54 PM
meldog21
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you as an individual time your own HPDE laps for the purpose of evaluating your improvement then I think timing is beneficial. If you are trying to compare your lap times with other drivers/vehicles then it is probably not such a great idea. HPDEs are not a race or competition.

I personally like the idea of timing during HPDEs so you can see the result(s) of better driving, suspension changes, better tires, etc. New drivers are always amazed at the end of the day when they find out they shaved 40 seconds or something similar off their beginning laps. It is great incentive to have a tangible result rather than just a more confident feeling at the end of the day. Although I think times are a valuable tool for newer drivers, newer drivers should never look at times on track, times may not even be valuable until later in the day, maybe end of morning sessions and end of day.

Dog
Old 03-12-2012, 01:21 PM
taken19
Track Junky

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
Tech Contributor

Dog, great point. I was thinking that in my last post but it didn't come across that way. I have timing myself to look for improvements. Seeing lower lap times with different alignment settings is helping me see what works and what doesn't work. Since I'm so new to this, I know that I have a lot to learn and I feel this is the best way to stay on track.
Old 03-12-2012, 02:18 PM
sla07
Melting Slicks

couldnt agree with you guys any more...its more of timing myself to see how i can do better and keeping things consistent...if im consistently doing between 1:49-1:52, i think that speaks volumes...next step from there would be maybe making a change to the way i turn into some of the corners, or brake differently...i want to maintain stock so my overall goal is to see how well and how consistent i do with my car, as-is...
Old 03-12-2012, 04:19 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

When we teach guys to NOT worry about lap times, but just concentrate on driving, and being constant. Hit your same marks lap after lap after lap. 5 - 7 laps in a row. Almost to the point of being so board and smooth that you could do your quarterly taxes...

Guess what? you just dropped your lap time

Then it is time to make a minor change one one part of the track.

and repeat.

Get notified of new replies

To average/best lap times at hpde events

Old 03-12-2012, 04:42 PM
jstout
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Chattanooga Area Events Coordinator

some of the best improvement i have gained in my personal driving performance has come after downloading the data from my traqmate. lap times from an I phone are one thing, but it is very different to see each lap, broken into segments, and see where you have done well, and not so much. If you have a camera filming where you can actually see what you were doing when you drove a particular segment of the track, and how you managed to improve, then it makes it much easier to go out and do it again. It is like having an instructor in the car, if you pay attention to the data. I recently shaved 4.5 seconds off my lap times at Road Atlanta simply be evaluating the data after each session. My .02 worth. Jerry Stout
Old 03-12-2012, 04:45 PM
jlutherva
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

TrackDaze is offering a "data tag" that provides lap timing ($20/event) but not in the car. Times are posted after the session.

Jim
Old 03-12-2012, 04:51 PM
sla07
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
When we teach guys to NOT worry about lap times, but just concentrate on driving, and being constant. Hit your same marks lap after lap after lap. 5 - 7 laps in a row. Almost to the point of being so board and smooth that you could do your quarterly taxes...

Guess what? you just dropped your lap time

Then it is time to make a minor change one one part of the track.

and repeat.
i get what youre saying, but some people need to have a visual aid to see their progress...i can drive around a track and not really "get" where im making a mistake or how im keeping consistent with speed, turns, etc without being able to look at the video afterwards or how my times compared to before...thats what i was getting at...

Originally Posted by jstout
some of the best improvement i have gained in my personal driving performance has come after downloading the data from my traqmate. lap times from an I phone are one thing, but it is very different to see each lap, broken into segments, and see where you have done well, and not so much. If you have a camera filming where you can actually see what you were doing when you drove a particular segment of the track, and how you managed to improve, then it makes it much easier to go out and do it again. It is like having an instructor in the car, if you pay attention to the data. I recently shaved 4.5 seconds off my lap times at Road Atlanta simply be evaluating the data after each session. My .02 worth. Jerry Stout
agree with you here...i had a gopro for this weekend and i have been looking at the videos since then...from when i had my check off ride with the chief instructor, going solo a couple of sessions, and then with the instructor to point out what areas i can improve on...theres a noticeable difference in where i am turning into turns, where i am braking...from the first few videos to the last one (and the one i had as my fastest lap time)...

Originally Posted by jlutherva
TrackDaze is offering a "data tag" that provides lap timing ($20/event) but not in the car. Times are posted after the session.

Jim
how are they doing it then?

Quick Reply: average/best lap times at hpde events