Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for Detroit Region Club that does HPDE's

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2012, 10:54 AM
cruzin2
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Looking for Detroit Region Club that does HPDE's

Hello Guys,

I am looking for a local club that does HPDE's and goes to some tracks within a few hours driving distance of D-town, i.e. Mid-ohio, Grattan, Gingerman, etc.

I have begun discussions with PCA/SEM and they go to Waterford allot but that track does not have allot of run-off space and is a little cramped for a my Z06. (they do one run at gingerman that I will likely attend)

Can anyone a club a place for me to join. I would like to get to know a group, have them get to know me, my car, my capabilities. I don't like just showing up for a run group and have it be russian roulette with the tech guys.

(I have an '09 with a five pt harness, caravaggio seats, ATE super blue, carbotech pads, DOT tires, front brake cooling. Everything else is stock.)
Old 03-06-2012, 12:47 PM
01Pewter
Melting Slicks

CI 2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10 Vet
CI-X Auto-X Champ (street tires)
Cruise-In IX AutoX Winner

At CCM we do monthly autocross events and one track event on the 4th of July.
Click the competition tab for the schedule.
http://corvetteclubmi.com/

3BallsRacing does HPDEs on tracks around the Midwest.
3BallsRacing.com

Originally Posted by cruzin2
Hello Guys,

I am looking for a local club that does HPDE's and goes to some tracks within a few hours driving distance of D-town, i.e. Mid-ohio, Grattan, Gingerman, etc.

I have begun discussions with PCA/SEM and they go to Waterford allot but that track does not have allot of run-off space and is a little cramped for a my Z06. (they do one run at gingerman that I will likely attend)

Can anyone a club a place for me to join. I would like to get to know a group, have them get to know me, my car, my capabilities. I don't like just showing up for a run group and have it be russian roulette with the tech guys.

(I have an '09 with a five pt harness, caravaggio seats, ATE super blue, carbotech pads, DOT tires, front brake cooling. Everything else is stock.)
Old 03-06-2012, 12:54 PM
MySR71
Pro

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

Hmmm..... I can't answer your question directly as I have run at Gingerman and Grattan with a number of different groups that I'm not really apart of other than NASA. NASA does run quite a few events in the area and they have a Driver's School type mentality where you graduate from one level to the next. However, because they mix racing in on their weekends, you might not get as much track time as with some of the other organizations. However, watching the racing guys is fun.

As for other clubs, I have not run with 3 ***** Racing but you might want to check in with them. Ken is here on the forum. http://forums.corvetteforum.com/auto...gingerman.html

CGI runs a lot of Monday events at Gingerman (basically every other Monday) and has a Driver's School mentality for beginners (class room). My experience is that they are good at having instructors there if you want one. You will get a lot of track time with them and their groups tend to be small. http://www.cgimotorsports.com/

Spectator Racing (ScaryFast here on the forum) puts together events from time-to-time. Here's an example, http://forums.corvetteforum.com/auto...15-2010-a.html. I think they have a newer website here http://www.tracktherapy.com/. ScaryFast also has a lot of experience instructing and running with different groups.

Let's see.... AROC Detroit puts on some good events. http://www.arocdetroit.org/

I'm sure I'm missing a few (Lotus Club, Auto Interests, etc), I usually just look at Gingerman's or Grattan's web site and try and find a group to run with. And yah, running with with Volkswagen group (MIVE) does bring out a different group of drivers than say NASA. After awhile, you start to see some familar faces with the different groups and will make some friends with people (if you are interested).

I've never really had any trouble going through tech. Some are more strict on their checks than others (some don't even check!). I do my own car prep before hand though.

Last edited by MySR71; 03-06-2012 at 12:57 PM.
Old 03-06-2012, 06:24 PM
bb69
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Our group, 3 ***** Racing, is based in the area. We run at Gingerman, Grattan, Mid-Ohio, Waterford, and have also done Calabogie. Shoot me a note if you have specific questions.

I'm just starting to write a guide for track days. The first part is about understanding how a group runs and making sure your ideals and theirs fit. I will be the first to tell you that 3 ***** is not a driving school. We absolutely offer instruction and do everything we can to help beginners, but we don't have a formal process like PCA or NASA. That's why I advertise my events as open track days. Of course, we have had a huge number of first timers come out and do very well.

I don't know your experience level, and I wasn't trying to imply you're a beginner. I just wanted to let you know more of the type of group we are. Tell us a little more about what you're looking for and I'm sure we can get you set up with the right group. I would love for you to come out to a 3 ***** event, but I'm also not oblivious to the fact that there are different strokes for different folks.

Thanks
Ken
Old 03-06-2012, 09:15 PM
Scooter70
Le Mans Master

Received 124 Likes on 98 Posts

3BallsRacing.

We're going to Gingerman the weekends of April 14-15.
Old 03-06-2012, 10:00 PM
YYZ06
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

+1 for 3Balls Racing. Low stress, big fun!
Old 03-07-2012, 08:18 AM
GAS
Instructor

Don't forget NASA Midwest and Great Lakes. They run Grattan, Gingerman, Mid "O", Putnam, and Autobahn. The great thing is when you aren't on track you can watch wheel to wheel racing and when you feel like upping the ante a bit you can join their time trial program. Check em out at http://www.nasamidwest.com/.

Geff
Old 03-07-2012, 01:00 PM
69autoXr
Melting Slicks

Received 209 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by GAS
Don't forget NASA Midwest and Great Lakes. They run Grattan, Gingerman, Mid "O", Putnam, and Autobahn. The great thing is when you aren't on track you can watch wheel to wheel racing and when you feel like upping the ante a bit you can join their time trial program. Check em out at http://www.nasamidwest.com/.

Geff
How much track time is typical for HPDE participants at a NASA event?
Old 03-07-2012, 03:11 PM
cruzin2
Pro

Originally Posted by bb69
I don't know your experience level, and I wasn't trying to imply you're a beginner. I just wanted to let you know more of the type of group we are. Tell us a little more about what you're looking for and I'm sure we can get you set up with the right group. I would love for you to come out to a 3 ***** event, but I'm also not oblivious to the fact that there are different strokes for different folks.

Thanks
Ken
Thanks Ken, I am not an expert racer. I have run waterford in a c5 years ago and spent more of my pre-child years running autocross in the CENDIV region in various classes from H-Stock to A-Stock and then moved up the C-prepared heavy mod class with a full on tube frame truck. We ran nationals when it was still in Kansas. (dates me for sure) From there I moved onto bikes, and ran intermediate at grattan, mid-ohio on a liter bike. I know the tracks for the most part, I like to drive pretty quick but I also like to drive it home without incident. I am looking for a fast but safe group of "adults" that care more about enjoying the cars then shaving off a tenth of a second and pushing me to the outside of the turn when I am already committed. (hence my move back from bikes)
Old 03-07-2012, 05:14 PM
Liquid1
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's a great aggregator of various clubs running track events, searchable by distance from a given area code. HTH

www.motorsportreg.com
Old 03-07-2012, 08:29 PM
YYZ06
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

cruzin2,

Sounds like you'd fit in well with the 3Balls crowd. The number one priority in Ken's morning speech is to drive your car home at the end of the day. The top group is open passing but it's been pretty gentlemanly. Groups 2-4 are point by passing, in designated areas. Group two usually has some very good drivers who are not comfortable with the open passing scenario. I've run with them since '06, and have run with some other groups as well, and can honestly say I really enjoy the the no nanny approach and laid back style at 3Balls events. Ken put's the responsibility on the drivers to keep things in check and I can say 99% of the drivers are up to the task. I can also say because of this, it's easy to spot the 1% and keep away from them...

There are forums on the 3Balls site (www.3ballsracing.com) where you can get acquainted if you choose.

Originally Posted by cruzin2
Thanks Ken, I am not an expert racer. I have run waterford in a c5 years ago and spent more of my pre-child years running autocross in the CENDIV region in various classes from H-Stock to A-Stock and then moved up the C-prepared heavy mod class with a full on tube frame truck. We ran nationals when it was still in Kansas. (dates me for sure) From there I moved onto bikes, and ran intermediate at grattan, mid-ohio on a liter bike. I know the tracks for the most part, I like to drive pretty quick but I also like to drive it home without incident. I am looking for a fast but safe group of "adults" that care more about enjoying the cars then shaving off a tenth of a second and pushing me to the outside of the turn when I am already committed. (hence my move back from bikes)
Old 03-08-2012, 09:01 AM
GAS
Instructor

"How much track time is typical for HPDE participants at a NASA event? "

Typically there are four twenty minute sessions plus all the other stuff going on.

Get notified of new replies

To Looking for Detroit Region Club that does HPDE's

Quick Reply: Looking for Detroit Region Club that does HPDE's