Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HPDE Paint Protection

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2012, 05:31 AM
QWKSRT
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default HPDE Paint Protection

Wondering if it's ok to use a standard "bra" or if anyone does it? I recently went to an HPDE and didn't see anyone using them. Most guys have clear bras, one guy had what looked like a roll of cellophane wrapped around his car (was great for a chuckle) and some (like me) did a crap load of blue painters tape. Was thinking a traditional bra would be a quick on/off then hit the mirrors and other exposed areas with tape. Seems like it would be a lot quicker than taping the front end up each race day but then again I didn't see anyone using one. Is this not a popular solution? I will do a clear bra but not until I have the front-end reshot which won't be for a while.

Old 03-04-2012, 06:19 AM
taken19
Track Junky

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
Tech Contributor

Lowes or Home Depot sells a clear carpet tape (probably the cellophane you mentioned above). It's 24" wide by 50' or 100' long and costs about $12. Not the prettiest thing out there, but easier than painters tape to install (mine went on in 3 peices) and not quite as noticeable at the painters tape. A good inexpensive option.

There are materials made exactly for this application but are much more expensive and time consuming. Run a search for options.
Old 03-04-2012, 07:17 AM
QWKSRT
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Ya the more I think about it the more I think we'll be doing a lot of taping. A regular bra clips on or snaps in which I'm not sure is secure enough for track days.
Old 03-04-2012, 08:12 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

sand can and does get under the normal bra. That sand will scratch the paint under the bra.

3M use to make a clear paint protector for the nose, rocker panels and fender edges
Old 03-04-2012, 09:37 AM
PaConehead
Burning Brakes

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

I have used a bra on the nose during HPDEs and didn't have any problems with it. But the above comment about scratching is a valid concern - also mine attaches pretty secure and I have added it to my check list after each session.

I also use clear Contact brand shelf paper - removable variety - on the lower panels and behind wheels. It's not so pretty but works well, comes off easy. I put a coat of wax on before, and the little bit of residual adhesive cleans off easier.

My only bad experience with the removable Contact paper .was that it did damage the OEM hood stripes on my Z-16 (an expensive lesson). I may try the collision wrap next time out - it's a stretch wrap type product available from body shop and wrecker suppliers
Old 03-04-2012, 10:10 AM
JimbeauZ06
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Depending on who you run with, conventional "bras" may not be allowed. My PCA region doesn't allow them. I don't know that there's any real basis for this, just theoretical possibility it could come off at high speed.

I've done blue tape, shelf paper, carpet "tape", etc. Finally after a few seasons I just got over it.
Old 03-04-2012, 11:52 AM
thatonedude1
Racer

Last time out I did a ton of blue painters tape. This time I will try the road warrier roll on coating. Comments?
Old 03-04-2012, 12:11 PM
Bakerking31
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Why not plasit-dip it?
Old 03-04-2012, 12:43 PM
betelgeuse
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm going to try this.

http://www.madshadowcustompaint.com/rwp.htm

Greg
Old 03-04-2012, 01:36 PM
morris
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

3M clear bra was my solution no off and on and it protects on the street and track
Old 03-04-2012, 02:48 PM
gpuglisi
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by morris
3M clear bra was my solution no off and on and it protects on the street and track
Same here, been using it for years on multiple cars.
Old 03-04-2012, 03:06 PM
DarkMastyr
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All the Norcal groups I've run with allow me to run a normal GM bra with no issues.
Old 03-04-2012, 03:16 PM
RDnomorecobra
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I use a bra on my c5z. Have not had a problem yet with PDA/NASA, SCDA, HOD, BMWCCA.
Old 03-04-2012, 03:19 PM
RDnomorecobra
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by RDnomorecobra
I use a bra on my c5z. Have not had a problem yet with PDA/NASA, SCDA, HOD, BMWCCA.
Old 03-04-2012, 04:40 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

I used to use the GM Bra on my two C5s. Great fit and stayed on the cars at speeds up to 150 mph. They don't make them for the C6Z. I was using the green body shop tape as shown in my Avatar which is tougher than the blue stuff but since then I went to collision wrap. It goes on easy and comes off easy, is 3 mils thick and transparent except for the Collision Wrap Logos. A box 18 in wide by 100 ft long lasts me a 20 track day season. I do the front and the complete side from the rear of the front well to the front of the rear wheel well (the area where most debris rash occurs). I can put it on on the day before and then be at the track for the next 10 days without issue. After the last session I pull up to the trailer and pull it off while the car is warm.

Bill
Old 03-04-2012, 09:44 PM
jstout
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Chattanooga Area Events Coordinator

Guys, I am in the final stages of development of a roll on temporary paint protection specifically designed for track use. When it is finished, you will be able to roll it on like paint with a trim roller, it will dry quickly, resist the stuff that damages your paint at the track, and when you get home, peel it off and have a perfectly clean car with no negative effects on your paint. We are testing our 7th batch, and getting very close to having a finished product. Hopefully ready by May at latest. Jerry
Old 03-05-2012, 04:35 AM
QWKSRT
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks for all the responses guys. Great info for me to think about.

Get notified of new replies

To HPDE Paint Protection

Old 03-05-2012, 09:26 AM
NOSLO6
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

There was a pretty good thread here not long ago about roll on paint protection. I have no personal experience with it, but it struck me as interesting.
Old 03-05-2012, 09:54 PM
jstout
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Chattanooga Area Events Coordinator

I have used some of our test batches on my c6z06 at the track. Used to tape like crazy. Would take me 2 hours to tape my car for an event. Now 15 min to put it on, 15 min to pull it off, and the paint is left perfect. It is amazing stuff. Jerry
Old 03-06-2012, 12:21 AM
db2xpert
Drifting

Received 61 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by jstout
Guys, I am in the final stages of development of a roll on temporary paint protection specifically designed for track use. When it is finished, you will be able to roll it on like paint with a trim roller, it will dry quickly, resist the stuff that damages your paint at the track, and when you get home, peel it off and have a perfectly clean car with no negative effects on your paint. We are testing our 7th batch, and getting very close to having a finished product. Hopefully ready by May at latest. Jerry
Please let us know when it's available.

Quick Reply: HPDE Paint Protection