Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I'm installing my own alignment shop in my garage

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2012, 11:53 PM
Hercules Rockefeller
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I'm installing my own alignment shop in my garage

OK, I've had it with my local alignment shop. They can't put my car on their rack without damaging the front splitter, and they want to charge my $85 to align a car that only needs a toe adjustment for one wheel. I'm done with paying for alignments, and working around the shop's schedule. So I bought this: http://www.bbxracing.com/

It looks awesome, I can't wait to get my hands on it and do my own alignments. Anyone have any experience with this setup? I got an extra set of adapter plates so I can use it to align my Z06 and my F1000 car.
Old 02-29-2012, 01:08 AM
Sidney004
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't forget to buy a tire changer while you are at it.
Old 02-29-2012, 01:19 AM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

Received 355 Likes on 222 Posts

I have seen those before and been intrigued. I thought about getting them. Now I will just borrow yours. ;-)

Oli
Old 02-29-2012, 01:26 AM
2002rich
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would be interested in your assessment. Looks like a great product.
Old 02-29-2012, 05:17 AM
trackboss
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I have not yet used those, but have known of similar setups well before they were made commercially available. You still need to use a level surface and you also need to run parallel strings at hub center height with car at ride height to use correctly. What those do is replace the wheel and allow a whole lot more access to make the job easier. To set the toe properly you need to measure at what would be the tire radius (at hub centerline). Mitler has a similar product:
http://www.mittlerbros.com/index.php...nt-system.html
Old 02-29-2012, 09:32 AM
travisnd
Safety Car

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Very nice... I know Drivinhard has a set of those hubstands and they appear to make tweaking the car 100x easier.
Old 02-29-2012, 10:12 AM
Hercules Rockefeller
Pro

Well I admit I was a bit on the fence at first about whether it was worth the investment, but now I'm sure it will be a good decision. It solves all my alignment problems that I've been having with the vette, and any problems I would have had aligning the F-car. Just think:

I can align my car on the night before a track day
My alignment shop is never closed or busy
My alignment shop really cares about getting the job done right
No more worrying about my cars being "too low"
No more paying for alignments, especially small jobs and tweaks

Don't forget to buy a tire changer while you are at it.
That would be sweet, but a tire changer and balancer looks really expensive...
Old 02-29-2012, 10:13 AM
Hercules Rockefeller
Pro

Originally Posted by Olitho
I have seen those before and been intrigued. I thought about getting them. Now I will just borrow yours. ;-)

Oli
Anytime you want to come over and give it a try you're more than welcome Oli.
Old 02-29-2012, 11:27 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Originally Posted by trackboss
I have not yet used those, but have known of similar setups well before they were made commercially available. You still need to use a level surface and you also need to run parallel strings at hub center height with car at ride height to use correctly. What those do is replace the wheel and allow a whole lot more access to make the job easier. To set the toe properly you need to measure at what would be the tire radius (at hub centerline). Mitler has a similar product:
http://www.mittlerbros.com/index.php...nt-system.html
Those are neat. Lower cost than the Hubstands and have a built in way to make sure the car is level.

Bill
Old 02-29-2012, 12:16 PM
Kubs
Le Mans Master

Received 1,754 Likes on 941 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

Those certainly look cool! Waaaay out of my price range though. I do my alignments with home made angle toe plates, a level and a square.
Old 02-29-2012, 12:28 PM
John B
Pro
Pro Mechanic

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

I saw those a while ago & thought there was no way for suspension to settle with out setting them on turtables. I see now they are rubber mounted & allowed to lean & pivot. Very Cool. I made 4 3ft. tall tables with screw in feet. I laser leveled & mark floor. I set turn plates & scales on them. Put car on hoist & set down on slip plates on tables. The scary part is rolling from slip plates to scales. They are very cumbersome for 1 guy. It does end up very accurate. Would be way easier to buy the hub stands. I don't see how guys can do home alignment adjustments without. If you lift the car up to adjust now what unsettled & start over.
Old 02-29-2012, 02:57 PM
geerookie
Drifting

Originally Posted by John B
I saw those a while ago & thought there was no way for suspension to settle with out setting them on turtables. I see now they are rubber mounted & allowed to lean & pivot. Very Cool. I made 4 3ft. tall tables with screw in feet. I laser leveled & mark floor. I set turn plates & scales on them. Put car on hoist & set down on slip plates on tables. The scary part is rolling from slip plates to scales. They are very cumbersome for 1 guy. It does end up very accurate. Would be way easier to buy the hub stands. I don't see how guys can do home alignment adjustments without. If you lift the car up to adjust now what unsettled & start over.
I use 4mil garbage bags folded in 1/4's on top of each scale. No rolling on and off required. You would be amazed at how slippery they are. I left the car on them one time when a friend came over. We were drinking a beer or three while talking and I was leaning against the car and it slid off the scales. sideways
Old 02-29-2012, 07:03 PM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by geerookie
I use 4mil garbage bags folded in 1/4's on top of each scale. No rolling on and off required. You would be amazed at how slippery they are. I left the car on them one time when a friend came over. We were drinking a beer or three while talking and I was leaning against the car and it slid off the scales. sideways
do you make sure you deduct the weight of the 4 bags greg?
Old 03-01-2012, 08:42 AM
geerookie
Drifting

Originally Posted by drivinhard
do you make sure you deduct the weight of the 4 bags greg?
Hey! Are you making fun of my "condition"?

I found a 1" x 12" area that didn't need paint on it so I removed it. That had to save at least .05 ounces and it was on the drivers side
Old 03-01-2012, 12:26 PM
RacePro Engineering
Tech Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Limitations . . .

Every system (Did I say EVERY SYSTEM?) has its limitations. The beauty of what you are doing is exactly what you mention: You are doing it, your way, and to your specs. Just don't be afraid to fill in the blanks with the steps that method does not do well enough.

Ed

Last edited by RacePro Engineering; 03-01-2012 at 12:31 PM. Reason: Spellink
Old 03-01-2012, 01:00 PM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Received 54 Likes on 23 Posts

Coat the scales with KY Jelly or Astro Glide.

It can be used later for its intended use, just get the grit out of it.
Old 03-01-2012, 01:22 PM
travisnd
Safety Car

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Falcon
It can be used later for its intended use, just get the grit out of it.
I'm sure you buy it in bulk for the BPKATP
Old 03-03-2012, 12:23 AM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

I use 4mil garbage bags folded in 1/4's on top of each scale. You would be amazed at how slippery they are.
I do the exact same thing during alignment adjustments using my 4-post lift. I actually get very nervous that the car is going to slide off the lift, hit one of the center support beams and knock the whole house down.
Old 03-03-2012, 08:26 AM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by sperkins
I do the exact same thing during alignment adjustments using my 4-post lift. I actually get very nervous that the car is going to slide off the lift, hit one of the center support beams and knock the whole house down.
make sure you got a camera on a tripod rolling

Get notified of new replies

To I'm installing my own alignment shop in my garage

Quick Reply: I'm installing my own alignment shop in my garage