Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

modify stock seats for 5pt be legal for scca/nasa time trials?

Old 02-27-2012, 12:12 PM
rithsleeper
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default modify stock seats for 5pt be legal for scca/nasa time trials?

Have a 1989 c4 -& I want to move to a 5/6 pt harness in my c4. The cinch button doesn't work on my stock belts and im convienced the clutch wouldn't in a crash either. I think the safest thing would just be upgrade to a 5pt. However I have all the parts for new seat covers/foam and carpet so I want to keep my stock seats.

I was planning on cutting holes for the belts in the back of the seats and then the stitching to get the belt through and in the right spot. However some of the other guys thought it might not pass tech.

I autocross in scca, and do some hpde/pdx. If I can make a nasa event I will. Do any of you have anything like this or know if it will pass tech if done right? (I know I need to do both seats.) I personally think racing seats are tacky in a dd, or even a Sunday driver so I want to avoid them.
Old 02-27-2012, 12:22 PM
Kubs
Le Mans Master

Received 1,722 Likes on 931 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

If you do not want to change seats I would get the cinch mechanism replaced instead. With stock seats you are safer using the 3 point belts that were designed for them. If you want to use a 5 or 6 point get a seat that was meant for a harness. I dont like the idea of mixing safety systems.

That being said, I have seen setups like the one you describe pass tech.
Old 02-27-2012, 02:19 PM
crimlwC6
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts

I'd email your local Nasa safety tech or post on their forum. I looked at this route for a c6 and was told it was fine. I also heard ford sells grommets for harnesses passed through seats.
Old 02-27-2012, 02:25 PM
Jason
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

As I was so often told when I was trying 50 different street/track compromises:

"Sure go ahead, build it then bring it to tech and we'll look it over and decide if we'll let you run it. If we decide "no" your entry fee is non-refundable. See you at the track."

Every track, every organization, every weekend there was a question mark of will I get to run or not. Compromises suck.
Old 02-27-2012, 04:23 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,917 Likes on 5,327 Posts

It is getting harder to have those kinds of mods approved. One thing you would have to do is make sure the pass through holes in the seat are lined up correctly so the shoulder belts can follow a straight line from your shoulder to their mounting points. If the pass through hole impinges on that straight line in any manner the seat becomes part of the harness and most groups will not allow that. Then you have the problem of the subbelt. It has to pull on the lap belt directly opposite of the direction the shoulder belts are pulling so the lap belt is tight over your pelvis. That means it has to pass through the seat bottom (springs, seat track hardware, etc) and be mounted to a solid mounting point under the seat. If you run it over the front of the seat cushion you may as well not use it at all since it does more harm than good in that position.

Bill
Old 02-27-2012, 07:36 PM
Sgt.Gator
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default SCCA Rule

From the SCCA Solo Rules, Stock Category:
"J. Driver restraints as outlined in Section 3.3.1 are allowed. Seats may
not be cut to allow for the installation of alternate seat belts or harnesses."

I'm sure the no cut rule applies to all classes, not just Stock.

Get notified of new replies

To modify stock seats for 5pt be legal for scca/nasa time trials?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: modify stock seats for 5pt be legal for scca/nasa time trials?