Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shifter advice for a 05 C6 Z51

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2012, 07:59 PM
Grabbed_Crow_Mobe
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Shifter advice for a 05 C6 Z51

I知 curious if anyone has upgraded to a short throw shifter on a C6 Z51 (or any C6 non Z for that matter). I have read a lot about the C5 owners upgrading to either a C6Z06 shifter or an MGW. I missed a shift or two at my last HPDE. I知 completely willing to accept that I知 just lame but am curious if a new shifter would have helped. I知 considering the MGW.

Any advice? Thanks in advance!
Old 02-26-2012, 08:14 PM
DarkMastyr
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've got one of the older MGWs (35% reduction version I think) that I installed a few years back. It certainly made things more precise, but I don't personally think it's the godsend that the forum makes it out to be. The design made it such that my shifts were way notchier and required more effort. I'm not sure whether the MGW slowed down my shifting, but overall I feel like shifting in my car is a very slow process. I contemplated getting the revised stock shifter box/shifter from '08+ model years, but I think part of the problem is just the T56. The TR6060 is probably a bit smoother. I'm also somewhat spoiled having driven cars with some very nice and smooth shifters (Civic Si, G35, etc.), so perhaps my standard is just a bit high.

The MGW did seem to help slightly with missed shifts though, until I started having some issues missing again, but it turned out that my bushings on my shifter box were worn out. I replaced them with this kit and it seemed to help. http://www.volvette.com/5SH50.html
Old 02-27-2012, 07:09 PM
05C6GAC
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went with the MGW in my C6 Z51!!!
Old 02-27-2012, 09:15 PM
victorf
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by DarkMastyr
I've got one of the older MGWs (35% reduction version I think) that I installed a few years back. It certainly made things more precise, but I don't personally think it's the godsend that the forum makes it out to be. The design made it such that my shifts were way notchier and required more effort. I'm not sure whether the MGW slowed down my shifting, but overall I feel like shifting in my car is a very slow process. I contemplated getting the revised stock shifter box/shifter from '08+ model years, but I think part of the problem is just the T56. The TR6060 is probably a bit smoother. I'm also somewhat spoiled having driven cars with some very nice and smooth shifters (Civic Si, G35, etc.), so perhaps my standard is just a bit high.

The MGW did seem to help slightly with missed shifts though, until I started having some issues missing again, but it turned out that my bushings on my shifter box were worn out. I replaced them with this kit and it seemed to help. http://www.volvette.com/5SH50.html
Caution!

Those bushings in your link appeared to be the one resulted from forum member Mez's (C6 section) research. The price included two sets, but it is rubber, they will suffer under heat and shelf life the same as OEM and they are not purpose built, they are round and squeezed to fit, so they are under constant tension and ready to burst! The one not being used will expire just sitting there!

Better choice is the one from CF Vendor "Zip". He has correctly formed rectangular poly bushings for about $13/set. Backup means nothing especially they will suffer certain early death. Poly is better material, one set will last a longer time.
Old 02-27-2012, 09:45 PM
johninar
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For me when I miss a shift it's from lack of concentration on my part. I love the Z shifter but nothing works like concentrating on what you are doing. YMMV
Old 02-28-2012, 12:00 AM
Grabbed_Crow_Mobe
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by johninar
For me when I miss a shift it's from lack of concentration on my part. I love the Z shifter but nothing works like concentrating on what you are doing. YMMV
Any idea how different the Z shifter is from the base?

Thanks all for the input!
Old 02-28-2012, 12:00 AM
crimlwC6
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts

I like the mgw on my c6. I ocassionally have an issue engaging third with it but overall think it is better than stock.
Old 02-28-2012, 01:07 AM
DarkMastyr
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by victorf
Caution!

Those bushings in your link appeared to be the one resulted from forum member Mez's (C6 section) research. The price included two sets, but it is rubber, they will suffer under heat and shelf life the same as OEM and they are not purpose built, they are round and squeezed to fit, so they are under constant tension and ready to burst! The one not being used will expire just sitting there!

Better choice is the one from CF Vendor "Zip". He has correctly formed rectangular poly bushings for about $13/set. Backup means nothing especially they will suffer certain early death. Poly is better material, one set will last a longer time.
Thanks for the heads up

Get notified of new replies

To Shifter advice for a 05 C6 Z51

Quick Reply: Shifter advice for a 05 C6 Z51