Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Conversion of Early Dry Sump (8qt) to the Late model (10½qt)

Old 02-10-2012, 08:27 PM
QIKSLVR
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Conversion of Early Dry Sump (8qt) to the Late model (10½qt)

Has anyone had any experience with converting their 8qt dry sump to the newer 10½ qt dry sump? I am considering the change because at greater than 1.3 g's the bearings can become oil starved. And since I track the car using Hoosiers, I was advised that sooner is better than later.

I notice that the GM 10½ qt dry sump appears to have a different oil cooler compared the earlier Z's.

Was wondering if the older oil cooler must be swapped out in favor of the newer one when the oil tank reservoir is changed to the larger capacity reservoir?

Any comments would be helpful.
Old 02-10-2012, 09:22 PM
KENS80V
Melting Slicks

Received 124 Likes on 102 Posts

You can send it in to Lingenfelter to have it enlarged or bolt in the new larger tank. The 09 Z06 has the new style tank with the old style of cooler I believe. The 2010 or 2011 was the first year Z06 to get the oil pan mounted cooler like the ZR1.

I have the new style of factory tank for sale if you are interested. I took it apart cleaned it and reassembled it with new gaskets.

Last edited by KENS80V; 02-10-2012 at 09:25 PM.
Old 02-10-2012, 10:50 PM
CorvetteZ51Racer
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I just did the Lingenfelter tank and have had no issues. I've run mine on both Hoosiers and Pirelli slicks.

If you can find the new style OE tank user, that may be the least expensive. Getting it new is a lot more than the Lingenfelter tank.

Either oil cooler will work.
Old 02-10-2012, 10:56 PM
QIKSLVR
Instructor

Thanks for the response guys.
Old 02-11-2012, 09:00 PM
jlutherva
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I upgraded my 07Z dry sum tank to the 09Z tank. Only problem was that the temp sensor is in a slightly different location and it takes some "adjustments" to get it plugged in correctly. Easy installation.

if doing this upgrade, you may want to consider the aviaid baffle for the inside of the tank. It is supposed to improve de-aeration of the oil.

Jim
Old 02-11-2012, 11:07 PM
QIKSLVR
Instructor

Originally Posted by jlutherva
I upgraded my 07Z dry sum tank to the 09Z tank. Only problem was that the temp sensor is in a slightly different location and it takes some "adjustments" to get it plugged in correctly. Easy installation.

if doing this upgrade, you may want to consider the aviaid baffle for the inside of the tank. It is supposed to improve de-aeration of the oil.

Jim
Jim - -

Thanks for the reply. By the way, why did you choose to go with the '09 oil reservoir instead of the Lingenfelter product? Cost w/Lingenfelter is substantially lower. Just curious
Old 02-12-2012, 09:09 AM
jlutherva
Drifting

Originally Posted by QIKSLVR
Jim - -

Thanks for the reply. By the way, why did you choose to go with the '09 oil reservoir instead of the Lingenfelter product? Cost w/Lingenfelter is substantially lower. Just curious
I have the extended warranty and I didn't want any grief in the event of a failure.

Jim
Old 02-12-2012, 09:34 AM
QIKSLVR
Instructor

Originally Posted by jlutherva
I have the extended warranty and I didn't want any grief in the event of a failure.

Jim
Very good point. I do as well. I think you made my decision for me.
Thanks!
Old 02-12-2012, 02:16 PM
jlutherva
Drifting

Glad to help!

Jim
Old 02-12-2012, 03:32 PM
CorvetteZ51Racer
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by QIKSLVR
Very good point. I do as well. I think you made my decision for me.
Thanks!
Check with the local dealership. I did, and they told me that they would honor the powertrain warranty as long as I didn't reflash the PCM or get into the heads/cam. Headers, intake, injectors, CAI, oil system, etc were all ok as long as I didn't go smaller. They even covered suspension issues under warranty when I had a full Pfadt setup on the car.
Old 02-14-2012, 05:38 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,917 Likes on 5,327 Posts

Originally Posted by CorvetteZ51Racer
Check with the local dealership. I did, and they told me that they would honor the powertrain warranty as long as I didn't reflash the PCM or get into the heads/cam. Headers, intake, injectors, CAI, oil system, etc were all ok as long as I didn't go smaller. They even covered suspension issues under warranty when I had a full Pfadt setup on the car.
Problem is if you blow the engine the dealer doesn't make the call. The GM Rep does. If you drop a valve the rep may not care which reservoir you used but if you spun the bearings they just make an issue out of it.

Bill

Get notified of new replies

To Conversion of Early Dry Sump (8qt) to the Late model (10½qt)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Conversion of Early Dry Sump (8qt) to the Late model (10½qt)