Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Halfshaft install...

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2012, 10:20 PM
rmackintosh
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 13 Posts

Default Halfshaft install...

Installing halfshafts.....

Sorry for the rookie question, but my car has come in pieces, and I am working on most of it for the first time. I have the new RSG diff and trans....just got today. The stub axles have a little cheap looking spring clip on them but the halfshaft does not seem to want to pop in.

Is there a trick to popping them in?

Thanks
Old 02-09-2012, 11:14 PM
wallyman424
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rmackintosh
Installing halfshafts.....

Sorry for the rookie question, but my car has come in pieces, and I am working on most of it for the first time. I have the new RSG diff and trans....just got today. The stub axles have a little cheap looking spring clip on them but the halfshaft does not seem to want to pop in.

Is there a trick to popping them in?

Thanks
Brute force. Just engage the splines and you have to give it a good bit of oomph to get it to click into place.
Old 02-09-2012, 11:19 PM
fatbillybob
Melting Slicks

Received 205 Likes on 161 Posts

What wally said but not that much force if you make sure to line the shaft spline to the diff spline very square and it will slide right in with a quick pop toward the diff. The force you need is like what they teach in CPR doing a chest compression. Then do the hub side.
Old 02-10-2012, 08:58 AM
CHJ In Virginia
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

It also helps to liberally coat the spring clip area on the halfshaft with gear oil before inserting in the diff. Oil helps it slide past the "click" point.

Get notified of new replies

To Halfshaft install...

Quick Reply: Halfshaft install...