Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harnesses and floor mounting

Old 02-07-2012, 09:32 PM
rtpassini
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '11-'12
Default Harnesses and floor mounting

I need some 5 or 6 point harnesses. not looking for anything special, but would like the know the differences. I will be picking up used. Harnesses are new to me.

Also, Is there a DIY out there on how to make mounts, or how to mount them? the Bar I bought didnt come with any. But it seems like you can just use a piece of steel with holes drilled in them?

Last edited by rtpassini; 02-07-2012 at 09:54 PM.
Old 02-08-2012, 09:57 AM
naschmitz
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by rtpassini
I need some 5 or 6 point harnesses. not looking for anything special, but would like the know the differences. I will be picking up used. Harnesses are new to me.

Also, Is there a DIY out there on how to make mounts, or how to mount them? the Bar I bought didnt come with any. But it seems like you can just use a piece of steel with holes drilled in them?
It depends on whether you are going to autocross or track the car. Most HPDE organizations have specific seat belt mounting requirements. If you are just autocrossing, here's a set of instructions on harness mounting points. The shoulder belts should wrap around your harness bar. http://hardbarusa.com/uploads/image/...lapbeltbar.pdf

You can pick these up new for $165 or used from someone on the forum that has upgraded to race seats.
Old 02-08-2012, 08:20 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,917 Likes on 5,327 Posts

The Bar you bought???? What kind of bar is it? Where are you thinking of putting the piece of steel with holes drilled in it? Are you talking about mounting the lap belts, the sub belts or the shoulder harnesses or all of them?

Not knowing what you are attempting to do I hope this advice helps a little.

What kind of seats will you be using? If you go with Race Seats and Hardbar Seat rails you can fasten the lap and sub belts to the rails. The sub belts can be mounted to the rails by using a floor mount eye bolt mounted so the eye is inside the bar and slightly behind the driver's crotch. Use clip in end links with cotter pins to keep them from coming loose. Lap belts can be fastened to the rails by choosing a spot toward the rear that allows the belt to be at about a 45 degree angle and pass directly through the seat pass through without bending or kinking as it goes across your pelvis. You can buy seat belt shoulder bolts on line for about $10. You will have to slightly enlarge the holes in the Hardbar to get them mounted and you will have to slightly enlarge the holes in the race harness end piece so it will fit over the shoulder bolt. Once you are done the lap belt will swivel on the bolt and move as appropriate. Shoulder belts should be wrapped around the harness bar. Follow guides like the Schroth Competition Harness installation instructions for the proper way to wrap the belts. When done right the belt will pass through the clip three times.

Bill
The following users liked this post:
Ludeaem (03-12-2017)
Old 02-08-2012, 08:32 PM
rtpassini
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '11-'12

Sorry about that. Its an Arizona Speed and Marine Bar. Sparco Evo 2 seats with 6 point crow harnesses.

I was thinking of using a piece of angle iron and drilling two holes on top for the side belts and then two holes on the horizontal part for the anti sub belts.

My other concern is the seat bolts might not be tall enough. is there a cure for that?

I had my rails custom made. so no hardbar seat rails here. And this will be for AutoX. I dont know this car enough for any other event.

Last edited by rtpassini; 02-08-2012 at 08:40 PM.
Old 02-08-2012, 10:02 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

As I remember correctly the ASM bar is OK for autocross but don't try to do HPDEs with it. It isn't strong enough to hold up in a crash.

To mount the lap and sub belts take a look at the BK belt mounts for the C5. You use the stock seat belt mounts and sit on the sub belts. If you don't have the C5 Sport Seats use a sternum strap on the shoulder belts to keep them from sliding off your shoulders.

Bill
Old 02-08-2012, 10:10 PM
rtpassini
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '11-'12

I commented up above saying Im using Sparco Evo 2 seats
Old 02-08-2012, 10:39 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

I commented up above saying Im using Sparco Evo 2 seats
Didn't see that. How are you going to mount the Sparcos to the floor?

The Hardbar rails work just fine to mount them. Then mount the belts to the rails like I mentioned in my post above.

Bill
Old 02-08-2012, 10:49 PM
rtpassini
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '11-'12

I had some rails that I "designed" made up for me. and then some double locking sliders bolted to that.
Old 02-09-2012, 12:35 AM
fatbillybob
Melting Slicks

Received 204 Likes on 160 Posts

Post pic of your seat frame/rails and maybe i can give you some ideas. Your frame steel or aluminum? Oh how thick? The thickest metal you can put on the seat bolts is when the nuts are fully captured by threads of the bolt. Removing some carpet can get you about 2 turns more on the bolts.
Old 02-09-2012, 06:09 AM
Jason
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

My other concern is the seat bolts might not be tall enough. is there a cure for that?
Cut the welds off, knock the studs out, replace with grade8 bolts that are longer. It will save you many, many, many headaches along the way.
Old 02-09-2012, 12:31 PM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
As I remember correctly the ASM bar is OK for autocross but don't try to do HPDEs with it. It isn't strong enough to hold up in a crash.

Bill
Why do you say this?

Get notified of new replies

To Harnesses and floor mounting

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Harnesses and floor mounting