Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to instal Corbeau seats, new brackets but keep stock belts for the street ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2012, 08:46 PM
HeavyRightFooT
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to instal Corbeau seats, new brackets but keep stock belts for the street ?

Hi All !

I am looking at installing Corbeau FX1 pro seats in my 08 C6 z51, discarding the stock power sliders, installing 6pts harnesses, but retaining the stock seat belts for street driving.

The Arizen brackets I am looking at have provisions for lap and sub belts for the harnesses and mounts for seat belts on each side but were initially designed for C5 seats and belts mounts.

I know the mounting points of the stock seat belts are different in c5 and c6 but are the bolts any different ? If there are the same i might just be able to just unbolt the stocks and bolt onto the new brackets.

Anyone with experience of using arizen bracket in a C6 retaining the stock belts and pretensioners ?

Cheers,

O.
Old 02-05-2012, 09:39 PM
landcaster
Cruising

I installed stock seat belt receiver ends on my Corbeaus. It allows me to use street belts on the way to the track. They bolt on the seats and work well. Pick them up from a line Corvette Salvage guy.
Old 02-05-2012, 10:16 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,919 Likes on 5,328 Posts

You will have to run the stock lap belt through the belt notches in the seat for it to be effective on the street. If you run the lap belt over the side of the FX1 it will be above your pelvis instead of riding on it. If it isn't riding tight across your pelvis you may as well not be wearing a belt.

Bill
Old 02-05-2012, 11:03 PM
HeavyRightFooT
Instructor

Do you mean pick up used c5 receiver ends ? Would love to retain the pretensioners of my c6 if possible

Thanks for the idea !

Originally Posted by landcaster
I installed stock seat belt receiver ends on my Corbeaus. It allows me to use street belts on the way to the track. They bolt on the seats and work well. Pick them up from a line Corvette Salvage guy.
Old 02-05-2012, 11:12 PM
HeavyRightFooT
Instructor

Had not thought about that !
Will make sure I pay attention to that.

Thanks

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
You will have to run the stock lap belt through the belt notches in the seat for it to be effective on the street. If you run the lap belt over the side of the FX1 it will be above your pelvis instead of riding on it. If it isn't riding tight across your pelvis you may as well not be wearing a belt.

Bill
Old 02-10-2012, 02:06 AM
Bluefire
Le Mans Master

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts

Default Installed them in a C5

I don't feel the stock belt positioning was compromised. I have the FX1-Pro's installed in my '03 Coupe on the Arizen slider rails. The "crease of my waist" is higher is ~ 1 1/2" higher than the seat edge. The stock seat belt receptacle is ~1/2" lower than my seat edge. It feels very close to stock positioning and the belt only touches my lap. It is barely visible in this pic:

I chopped the rear seat mounting pegs flush with the seat contour to get as low as possible. (note new Sawzall in background)

With respect to the lap harness mounts, I used the provided (outboard) hole on the Arizen rail.

As you can see I chopped off the end of the mounting hole on the rail . I did it for two reasons. First, I have the Brey-Krause harness bar that utilizes the outboard rear seat mounting studs. Second, I personally feel that those rear lap mounting holes are too far rearward. This will place the lap belt at an angle less than the recommended 45 -55 degrees w.r.t the plane of the bottom of the seat.

For the inboard rail I utilized the same hole for the stock receptacle and the lap harness. This turned out to be too long and causes the seat to sit slightly cocked. I will remove the seats and delete the nut and use a washer or two.

All hardware was SAE Grade 8 with the exception of the bolt/nut that attaches the stock receptacle. It was the metric equivilant of Grade 8 (I forget the designation) and sized to the OEM factory mounting stud.

I hope that helps.

Last edited by Bluefire; 02-10-2012 at 02:23 AM. Reason: my typing sucks
Old 02-19-2012, 03:22 PM
HeavyRightFooT
Instructor

Originally Posted by Bluefire
I don't feel the stock belt positioning was compromised. I have the FX1-Pro's installed in my '03 Coupe on the Arizen slider rails. The "crease of my waist" is higher is ~ 1 1/2" higher than the seat edge. The stock seat belt receptacle is ~1/2" lower than my seat edge. It feels very close to stock positioning and the belt only touches my lap. It is barely visible in this pic:
I chopped the rear seat mounting pegs flush with the seat contour to get as low as possible. (note new Sawzall in background)
With respect to the lap harness mounts, I used the provided (outboard) hole on the Arizen rail.
As you can see I chopped off the end of the mounting hole on the rail . I did it for two reasons. First, I have the Brey-Krause harness bar that utilizes the outboard rear seat mounting studs. Second, I personally feel that those rear lap mounting holes are too far rearward. This will place the lap belt at an angle less than the recommended 45 -55 degrees w.r.t the plane of the bottom of the seat.
For the inboard rail I utilized the same hole for the stock receptacle and the lap harness. This turned out to be too long and causes the seat to sit slightly cocked. I will remove the seats and delete the nut and use a washer or two.
All hardware was SAE Grade 8 with the exception of the bolt/nut that attaches the stock receptacle. It was the metric equivilant of Grade 8 (I forget the designation) and sized to the OEM factory mounting stud.

I hope that helps.

Thanks much for the write-up ! Very informative.

I have also shaven the bottom mounting tabs of the seat to get them to seat lower, and as you pointed out I am not worried about the stock belt riding too high as the sides of the seat seem to be just the right height,

I found that using the same tabs as you did to mount the seatbelts should work for me too. The C6 seatbelt receivers have a pretentioner tube that sticks out towards the front, but using the stock nut incorporated in the pretentioner and a properly sized nut it should work.

My last problem to solve would be how to relocate the stock passenger presence system... and reconnect the seatbelt pretensioner so they would work... didnt figure that one out yet.
I see you have a box with wire under the seat in one of your pictures, is that what you did ? Is it a complicated task to do ?

Cheers !
Old 02-19-2012, 03:30 PM
vms4evr
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you're driving to the track in a race seat with harnesses installed. Forget using the factory belt. As Bill said. You have to feed it through the belt hole. Makes getting the 3rd point across your chest a problem. The whole setup is unsafe. You're better and safer just commuting with your 5-6-point harness on.
Old 03-22-2012, 04:15 PM
Car54
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

I started installing my Corbeau FX1 Pro in my 2006 Coupe today. It looks like everything will fit fine on the Corbeau sliders. I am planning on driving to the track so I need the stock seat belts to work. In another post on this thread someone mentioned using C5 seat belt receivers but I never saw an answer that said it works ok. These would be much cheaper to use than the C6 with the explosive charge. Has anyone done that? Do you also have to use a simulator to convince the ECM that you really have your belt fastened???

thanks

bill
Old 03-22-2012, 07:05 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,919 Likes on 5,328 Posts

Originally Posted by Car54
I started installing my Corbeau FX1 Pro in my 2006 Coupe today. It looks like everything will fit fine on the Corbeau sliders. I am planning on driving to the track so I need the stock seat belts to work. In another post on this thread someone mentioned using C5 seat belt receivers but I never saw an answer that said it works ok. These would be much cheaper to use than the C6 with the explosive charge. Has anyone done that? Do you also have to use a simulator to convince the ECM that you really have your belt fastened???

thanks

bill
If you want the pretensioner to work you will have to provide some wiring to it so the SRS module knows it is there and can send the firing signal. Otherwise you may as well go with the stock C5 receiver. You will also be losing the seat position sensors so the driver's air bag deployment will default to the worst case situation. Without the seat position and passenger presence sensors the passenger side air bag will not deploy.

Bill

Get notified of new replies

To How to instal Corbeau seats, new brackets but keep stock belts for the street ?

Quick Reply: How to instal Corbeau seats, new brackets but keep stock belts for the street ?