Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Slow air pressure leak around rim?

Old 02-03-2012, 06:46 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Default Slow air pressure leak around rim?

This is an A6 scrub on a 12 inch ccw14.

I had it mounted about 3 weeks ago & went to put it on today & it's flat.

I put 40psi in and showered it with water mist & some dilute purple power to get bubbles.

It has about 6 sections on both faces of tiny air leaks.

3 other similar rims/tires are fine.

Any ideas?

If there is some trick to get it to seal better I'd like to know before I take it back to be redone.

This place uses beaucoup lube on the tires to get them over the rim.

I will tell them to clean it up & try again.

Thoughts?

Old 02-03-2012, 10:06 PM
Black89Z51
Suckin' gas, haulin' ass.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

You could try scuffing the bead and cleaning the bead area on the rim. I've heard of some people using rubber cement around the bead before. Can't see what it would hurt, honestly.
Old 02-03-2012, 10:39 PM
fatbillybob
Melting Slicks

Received 204 Likes on 160 Posts

Hoosier has cappy flash treatment. There is often rubber flash on the bead. This get trapped on the wheel and leaks air. Classic hoohoo problem.

Either clean that off or use bead sealer. Sometimes you get lucky just break bead and re-inflate and the flash moves to a different spot and you are OK.
Old 02-03-2012, 11:27 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Old 02-04-2012, 02:03 AM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

I have an air leak on stock C6Z06 wheel with NT05 tire. The shop could not find any air boubles so dismounted and remounted tire. It was good for several days. Now its back to adding air every 2 days. I have to go back. Any ideas ??????????????

DH
Old 02-04-2012, 02:12 AM
fatbillybob
Melting Slicks

Come to palos verdes and have lunch with me and frank and I'll fix it for you.
Old 02-04-2012, 02:23 AM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Originally Posted by fatbillybob
Come to palos verdes and have lunch with me and frank and I'll fix it for you.
Thanks for the offer CarlBut thats a long way to go for a leaking tire.

I'm hoping its not the wheel itself. Do you have some advise on what to look for and how ???

DH
Old 02-04-2012, 09:45 AM
fatbillybob
Melting Slicks

Yes. Take the wheel off car. Use soapy water in a spray bottle and spray it on the inside around bead and out side aroud bead the on running surface. Then all over the tire if you have not found it. Spray water on the valve stem and the inside of the stem on the filler tip. Look for air bubbles. It is easier to find the leaks in a water tank that they have at gas stations and put a good 40psi in the tire helps too. The problem is much more likely in the tire/valvestem than the wheel. On a 3 piece wheel you need to spray soapy water on the seams but I thought your wheels are 1 piece.
Old 02-04-2012, 11:52 AM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Yes. Take the wheel off car. Use soapy water in a spray bottle and spray it on the inside around bead and out side aroud bead the on running surface. Then all over the tire if you have not found it. Spray water on the valve stem and the inside of the stem on the filler tip. Look for air bubbles. It is easier to find the leaks in a water tank that they have at gas stations and put a good 40psi in the tire helps too. The problem is much more likely in the tire/valvestem than the wheel. On a 3 piece wheel you need to spray soapy water on the seams but I thought your wheels are 1 piece.
They did all that !!!!!!

I will let you know if they find anything else. And I will make sure they clean the bead good.

Yes stock wheels.

DH
Old 02-04-2012, 12:45 PM
fatbillybob
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Dirty Howie
They did all that !!!!!!

DH
But they did not do it right. There are few places for the problem to hide. Have them rock the rubber valve stem and shoot the soap on it. Put more air in the tire during testing. Offer still stands if you want to make the drive. I got tire changer.
Old 02-04-2012, 07:59 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

But they did not do it right. There are few places for the problem to hide. Have them rock the rubber valve stem and shoot the soap on it. Put more air in the tire during testing. Offer still stands if you want to make the drive. I got tire changer.
I was too lazy to get over there today and they are 7 minutes from my house. So what do you think the chances of me getting out to you are

DH
Old 02-04-2012, 08:37 PM
rasrboy
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I hope it's just a valve stem or a crusty rim lip not sealing. I have seen some rookie tire mounting guys that dont know or forget to make sure the tire bead is below rim drop center when mounting.

If not, it stretches the tire and can rip/tear a bead if they try to force it. Then they will take a razor blade & cut off the torn rubber section trying to hide their mistake.

I saw this in person at the races years ago. I told the owner what I witnessed and had them dismount it in front of him. They ended up buying that person a new Hoosier tire after they saw the torn bead on a brand new tire.

Just something to to watch out for.

Aaron

Get notified of new replies

To Slow air pressure leak around rim?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Slow air pressure leak around rim?