Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shocks - where do I go from here?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2012, 10:47 AM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

Default Shocks - where do I go from here?

Car keeps chewing up front bump stops on my Pfadt adj shocks. $80 ea to repl so they gotta go. I liked the adjustability of track setting and street. I was thinking of doing the LG GT2s. Car is a dd but tracked about 12 times a year. I have the T1 bars, David Farmer alignment, and track with square 18" Z06 wheels with Hoosier R80s. Will the coilovers be overkill? What other options are available? Search results seem to be about50/50 leaf vs coilovers. I am open to changing sways if necessary. Thoughts?
Old 02-01-2012, 11:01 AM
travisnd
Safety Car

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Just grab the factory bump stops from your stocks hocks and put them on the pfadts. They're far superior to the stuff that comes on almost all aftermarket shocks. I had the same thing happen to Bilstien sports and Koni FSDs. Ended up grabbing my stock ones off some old shocks and it never happened again.
Old 02-01-2012, 12:06 PM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Aren't R80s the super sticky Hoosiers? How much do they cost/last?
Old 02-01-2012, 01:44 PM
Pfadt Racing
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Given the amount of grip your car is generating with the R80 compound slicks anything you can do to increase the spring rate and put a little more platform under the car is going to be a much better situation. Whether it's getting stiffer leaf springs or moving to coilovers you probably need more spring under the car.

With our coilovers you will also end up with not only more spring rate for handling improvements on track with your sticky tires, but overall much more shock travel to work with at the same ride height. The combination of more spring rate to keep the car from rolling heavily with the amount of grip you have on the slicks, and the extra shock travel will keep the car from using the bumpstops nearly as much as they are currently being used. Typically we see bumpstops being chewed up by folks at really aggressive ride heights, but with the amount of grip you're seeing on track it's very possible the car is rolling onto the bumpstops instead of being forced there by ride height.
Old 02-01-2012, 02:21 PM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by RX-Ben
Aren't R80s the super sticky Hoosiers? How much do they cost/last?
These are my first slicks so don't know about super sticky. I bought 12 scrubs from a forum member for $500. So far, I have gotten 23 sessions on first set and no cording in sight. It is probably more tire than I need, but just too good a deal to pass up. The R888 scrubs I bought for 2x as much barely lasted 12 sessions. They are more tire than I need, but too good a deal.

Originally Posted by Pfadt Racing
With our coilovers you will also end up with not only more spring rate for handling improvements on track with your sticky tires, but overall much more shock travel to work with at the same ride height. The combination of more spring rate to keep the car from rolling heavily with the amount of grip you have on the slicks, and the extra shock travel will keep the car from using the bumpstops nearly as much as they are currently being used. Typically we see bumpstops being chewed up by folks at really aggressive ride heights, but with the amount of grip you're seeing on track it's very possible the car is rolling onto the bumpstops instead of being forced there by ride height.
I am actually baffled with the bump stop thing. At the track I am at most 8/10ths pushing my car, hence the 23 + sessions on slicks. Honestly, the only time I really lean on these tires is stopping - everyone speaks of the cornering with these tires, but the stopping grip is incredible. -.73gs with BFGs and -1.3g with R80s. I looked at the Pfadt c/o as there are a few good deals on some used sets, but for some reason my car just does not like the Pfadt stuff. It has literally chewed up your HR sways and spit them out in the street and same with the shocks. Pfadt has been great helping with them, but ready to try something different now.
Old 02-01-2012, 03:50 PM
redtopz
Melting Slicks

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts

R80/R100 are great tires. Excellent grip and they do seem to last a long time too.

You need stiffer springs like Pfadt said. I would keep the shocks and install stock bumpstops like travisnd said. If you can find a set of T1 springs then I would go with those and make sure your ride height is OK (give your suspension some travel room). A T1 car is a great handling car and can turn some amazing lap times. Poly bushings just made it an even better car and easier to drive. If you can't find T1 springs then go with stiffer leaf springs or coilovers.
Old 02-01-2012, 07:21 PM
RonnieM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What size are the R80 that you are running?
Old 02-02-2012, 08:42 AM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

305/645/18 - does that matter?
Old 02-02-2012, 06:19 PM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by redtopz
R80/R100 are great tires. Excellent grip and they do seem to last a long time too.

You need stiffer springs like Pfadt said. I would keep the shocks and install stock bumpstops like travisnd said. If you can find a set of T1 springs then I would go with those and make sure your ride height is OK (give your suspension some travel room). A T1 car is a great handling car and can turn some amazing lap times. Poly bushings just made it an even better car and easier to drive. If you can't find T1 springs then go with stiffer leaf springs or coilovers.
Would I need the stiffer T1 rear spring also or would just the front T1work?
Old 02-02-2012, 06:30 PM
Solofast
Melting Slicks

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by waddisme
Would I need the stiffer T1 rear spring also or would just the front T1work?
You need to balance the springs (similar increase in rates) at both ends, if you do just the front it's going to push like a pig.
Old 02-02-2012, 07:30 PM
RonnieM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by waddisme
305/645/18 - does that matter?
I was wondering on the size since I'm going to need some tires

Get notified of new replies

To Shocks - where do I go from here?

Quick Reply: Shocks - where do I go from here?