Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Star Car Sports and Chuckwalla Valley Raceway

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2012, 09:47 PM
boltvette
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Star Car Sports and Chuckwalla Valley Raceway

I'm in the process of planning an 8-event track day series for Corvettes and Pony Cars at tracks in SoCal and Spring Mountain in NV. The first event is scheduled for Feb. 25 & 26.

I had intended to have that first event be at Chuckwalla, as part of the Star Car Sports track day weekend. I've never benn there, and neither have the others whom have expressed and interest in the series. Over the past 3 weeks, I have contacted SCS five times and never got past the woman who answered the phone. Every time I was promised a return call that never came.

My last call was on Tuesday. I explained to the woman what I was requesting and she promised to have Mark (?) call me no later than the end of the day today. She said she would also call me Wed. (yesterday). Again, no calls.

I understand that Mark needed to talk to the owner of Chuckwalla (Micky?) before making a commitment, but why he couldn't be bothered to pick up the phone is beyond me. My only conclusion is that either their events are so full that they don't need the business, or they are just flat out incompetent.

Has anyone out there had a similar experience? I would like to give them the benefit of the doubt, but what about just plain common courtesy?
Old 01-19-2012, 10:48 PM
MJM
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've only been there once but they seemed like nice people. Try calling again at different hours and maybe you will get through to the right person.
Old 01-20-2012, 12:14 AM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

Received 355 Likes on 222 Posts

I have a few comments:
  1. Micky runs the track. I would talk to him. Mark Gallardo is a great guy and involved with Mickey, but I don't think you want to start with him. They both drive C6 Z06s.
  2. Chuckwalla is a fun track.
  3. An eight series Corvette Challenge type event is going to be tough when we already have 10 2012 Cal Club Corvette Challenge by Speed Ventures events ( http://forums.corvetteforum.com/sout...on-opener.html) this year along with 20 SCCA T1 races in SoCal and an assortment of NASA ST2 races. You better be offering something really unique.
  4. Getting track dates in SoCal can be a really big challenge. All the established sanctioning bodies have all of the best dates.
  5. All the local tracks know the regular organizers and trust them. They are leery of the the new guys on the block.
  6. Keep at it though, it will take some work, commitment and staying power to get this going.
Oli

Last edited by Olitho; 01-20-2012 at 12:18 AM.
Old 01-20-2012, 01:20 AM
boltvette
Racer

Thanks for the input. I called SCS because they're the ones running the event. But I'll try calling Mickey in the morning. And yes, Matt, I did call at different times of the day, with the same outcome.

I know about the Corvette Challenge, SCCA and NASA. What I'm putting together is a series of track days for those of us who aren't has hardcore as those who participate in those events. They're a good bunch of guys, but there's no way I (or most of my friends) can compete with them. I'm a high intermediate running my very stock daily driver C5 with street tires. I could drop another couple of grand (or more) on my car and still be in the CC "stock" class. But I don't have that kind of money right now.

What I'm planning is a series for the rest of us. And all participants will get discounts on the registration fees, rather than paying extra. I'm finding that there are quite a few Corvette and Pony Car owners like me. We're not ready to have dedicated track cars, but we still enjoy competing.

I'm not trying to compete with Speed Ventures or any other track day organizer. I'm not going to be creating the events, just getting the group to attend events scheduled by others - one by Speed Ventures, five by Extreme Speed, one by the Las Vegas Porsche Club, and I was hoping, one by SCS. Now it looks like we'll be attending two SV events instead.

It isn't a money-making venture. I'm not taking a dime from the series participants. I already have a business related to track days. The series will just be a way to get some publicity and have some fun.

Craig
Old 01-20-2012, 01:51 AM
muskamatt
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have personally run with the Star car sports guys at chuckwalla and I can tell you it was one of the most enjoyable type of track days I have ever been to. It was my first time at Chuckwalla but having gone to other track events, Star car sports was absolutely awesome. Very laid back (which is good when for me when I am just looking at track times, and getting behind the wheel as much as I can). Also, they allowed more track time than my tires could possibly handle. Seriously, by the end of the day it was pretty much whoever wanted to go out whenever they wanted to, could go out. Never a traffic jam, always laid back, great people, awesome individuals who could sit passenger and tell you about your line blindfolded.

If you are having difficulty in regards to contact that may be another situation. I feel Chuckwalla is looking for some serious enthusiasts that are also serious about having a home track for their people to go to. I couldn't speak more highly of what they have in mind for their facility, however they are still growing and just having one event their may not be their cup of tea.

Honestly, boltvette, plan some large group (10-12) trial days at chuckwalla and we would likely be able to rent out the track and have some of the best track experience ever. Please, PM me if you ever even think about doing this. I have 2 sign ups in a heart beat.
Old 01-20-2012, 01:52 AM
muskamatt
Heel & Toe

PS my Dad and I are in North County SD. PM me if you ever go to any car events, shows, track days, etc. etc. glad to be talking to someone with the same interests!
Old 01-20-2012, 11:09 AM
boltvette
Racer

I have heard nothing but good things about SCS and Chuckwalla, which is why I had planned on kicking off the series there. So maybe they believe they don't need to do any marketing or offer any group discounts to their events. I just don't understand why they can't seem to return phone call (or five) to tell me that.
Old 01-20-2012, 02:20 PM
boltvette
Racer

Just got off the phone with Micky, and you guys are right. He seems to be a really good guy and is offering us a great deal for the Feb. 25/26 track day weekend. Thanks again for your input! Diligence does pay off.

Anyone wishing to join us, please feel free to PM. The series is open to all Corvettes, Camaros, Mustangs and Challengers with street-legal tires. I can send you the 8-event schedule, division definitions and list of "perks" you can receive as a participant.
Old 01-20-2012, 10:11 PM
muskamatt
Heel & Toe

feel free to send me the info. sounds like fun.
Old 01-23-2012, 07:16 PM
steve J06
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm interested in the details. Do you have a web page set up?
Old 01-23-2012, 08:34 PM
boltvette
Racer

Originally Posted by steve J06
I'm interested in the details. Do you have a web page set up?
The schedule is on the Blog at www.angelwingstech.com. Send me your email to craig@angelwingstech.com and I'll send the division definitions and the "perks" list as well.

Get notified of new replies

To Star Car Sports and Chuckwalla Valley Raceway

Quick Reply: Star Car Sports and Chuckwalla Valley Raceway