Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best Car Numbers for Track Days

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2012, 05:24 PM
JTRANTHA
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best Car Numbers for Track Days

Hello,

I have a C6 and will be using it for prob a half dozen track days this year and I am looking for some decent numbers that will stay on at track speeds. I have used the cling film from Kinkos before but once they get a bit of dirt on them, they wont stick and fly off. Can anyone recommend any good ones.

Thanks, Jason
Old 01-10-2012, 06:04 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

I have used the same set of static cling number for 6 years now. But I got them from a local graphics shop that does that type of work. I don't think I would consider a place like Kinko's.

The trick is to make sure the car surface (door, quarter panel) is clean and free of dust. I wipe the area on my doors down with a wet sponge and then dry with a clean soft towel. Then I wet the area with a squirt bottle containing water and apply the static cling piece. I then use a piece of heavy paper stock to push out the water and any air bubbles. Once you push the water out, the static cling is on pretty solid. One thing I did with mine was to cut the square corners into a round shape. Having a square corner edge that is not completely down can allow air to get under them.

I can use my static clings for track days too. They have yet to come off even with 130+ speeds. I have done autocross events on one day and track day the following day and no problems.

The trick is to keep the back side of the plastic material clean and to keep them on a plastic covered piece of backer paper when not in use. I will occasionally use a mild dish soap and a clean sponge to clean the surface, dry it and place it on the backing sheet.

If you want a good source for reuseable adhesive vinyl numbers, look here
Old 01-10-2012, 06:31 PM
jlutherva
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The Ben Franklin hobby shop carries packs of numbers. They are about 6" tall and are reusable.

For larger numbers, I understand that David Farmer can custom make whatever you want.

Jim
Old 01-10-2012, 06:52 PM
Vettechris996
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I ran some reuseable vinyl numbers from iZoomGraphics for this season of autoX, worked great and stayed on well even to and from events in the rain. I have no doubt they'd handle track day speeds
Old 01-10-2012, 08:05 PM
JTRANTHA
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks for all the responses. I really appreciate it. I have my first event of 2012 coming Feb 11!!!!

Get notified of new replies

To Best Car Numbers for Track Days

Quick Reply: Best Car Numbers for Track Days