Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wiring up Spal fan in a C5? Where can I get the connector?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2012, 11:33 PM
travisnd
Safety Car

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Wiring up Spal fan in a C5? Where can I get the connector?

Ok... so the new Spal is in...

I'd really like to get the proper male OEM connector to replace the Spal connector. Anyone know where I can get one? I took one of the fan motors apart and took that plug out, but it's a pretty funky thing and attaching two wires to it in a compact manner would be tough.

The other option is to get the proper female connector to mate with the one already on the Spal fan, but that's not a nice weather pack connector like the OEM.

So anyone know where I should hunt for something like this?

Old 01-10-2012, 08:38 AM
3X2
Melting Slicks

Received 466 Likes on 361 Posts

I think they are metri pack 630 sealed connectors p/n 12034269. You will also need terminals,seals, and a TPA. Try terminalsupplyco.com.
Old 01-10-2012, 09:07 AM
travisnd
Safety Car

Educate me... what is a terminal and a TPA and why do I need them? I just want to cut the existing plug off the fan, wire up the correct GM plug and plug it into the existing female connector already on the car.

Thank you for the link and P/N etc.

EDIT - Here's the connector in the OEM fan motor. It's big and bulky and I'd like a more compact connector in the area the wires actually hook up vs. having the terminals spread out like this...

Last edited by travisnd; 01-10-2012 at 09:14 AM.
Old 01-10-2012, 09:20 AM
3X2
Melting Slicks

The connector is the black plastic piece, the terminals would be crimped onto your existing fan wires. The TPA is for terminal position assurance. It is a little plastic piece that snaps onto the wire end of the connector and keeps the wires from backing out of the connector.

This may help to visualize the needed pieces
http://terminalsupplyco.com/Store/De...228#Categories
Old 01-10-2012, 09:23 AM
travisnd
Safety Car

Thanks... surfing terminal supply co's website now... it all makes sense. I cut the Spal connector off, put on the terminals, then slide the wires into to the new plug and use the TPA to secure it all.
Old 01-10-2012, 09:27 AM
3X2
Melting Slicks

Don't forget to put the seals onto the wires before crimping on the terminals, get the correct size terminals for whatever gauge wire the spal fan wiring is and make sure you put the wires in the correct cavity of the connector so the fan blows the correct direction.
Old 01-10-2012, 09:28 AM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Received 54 Likes on 23 Posts

B. let me know how you end up wiring that into the harness. I've got one going in my car and will need to wire it up.
Old 01-10-2012, 09:31 AM
travisnd
Safety Car

Originally Posted by 3X2
Don't forget to put the seals onto the wires before crimping on the terminals, get the correct size terminals for whatever gauge wire the spal fan wiring is and make sure you put the wires in the correct cavity of the connector so the fan blows the correct direction.
Thanks again for your help... learned a little today Need to check the gauge of the wires before I order anything so I get the correct size terminals.

Originally Posted by Falcon
B. let me know how you end up wiring that into the harness. I've got one going in my car and will need to wire it up.
Will do Jody... I think I'm going to order the bits from terminal supply Co. to make it plug and play with the OEM plugs.

The other option is to cut the Spal plug off, install blade connectors and just stick them into the female slots (lol) on the OEM female connector.

I'm going to jumper the passenger side plug by just cutting it off and soldering the two wires together. Cheaper, easier and more durable than a jumper
Old 01-10-2012, 09:41 AM
3X2
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by travisnd

The other option is to cut the Spal plug off, install blade connectors and just stick them into the female slots (lol) on the OEM female connector.
They WILL fall out and/or corrode.

I'm going to jumper the passenger side plug by just cutting it off and soldering the two wires together. Cheaper, easier and more durable than a jumper
Just seal the end of the unused fan connector so no moisture can get in.
Old 01-10-2012, 09:45 AM
travisnd
Safety Car

I was going to cut the plug off (the one that goes to the passenger side fan that no longer exists) and just connect the two wires, solder and seal them. It's free and nothing to come apart. You have to jumper them to make the single fan work correctly in addition to removing various fuses and a relay.
Old 01-10-2012, 09:53 AM
3X2
Melting Slicks

Why?? I've never done that when converting to a single fan. Have your tuner disable the second fan and change the turn on/turn off temps for the one fan.
Old 01-10-2012, 10:09 AM
travisnd
Safety Car

Originally Posted by 3X2
Why?? I've never done that when converting to a single fan. Have your tuner disable the second fan and change the turn on/turn off temps for the one fan.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/auto...-oem-fans.html

Because the electrical engineers on this forum told me to and explained it to me as such

You can wire the fan to the passenger side circuit and just set the high speed fan temps lower to the operating paremeters you want. Or, you can wire it the driver's side and jumper the passenger side. This way the fan will receive the full 12V and run off the low speed operating temps.

I'm doing it this way so I don't have to take the car to my tuner or pay for a house call to change anything. My fan will run at full speed as controlled by the low speed fan setting already in the PCM.
Old 01-10-2012, 10:21 AM
GOTHAM VETTE
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks again for your help... learned a little today Need to check the gauge of the wires before I order anything so I get the correct size terminals.

Will do Jody... I think I'm going to order the bits from terminal supply Co. to make it plug and play with the OEM plugs.

Please post where you end up getting everything from, I mounted my fan up over the weekend and just need to finish up the wiring. If you can't source things individually and need to buy bulk, I'll buy my stuff from you if you want.

Thanks
Old 01-10-2012, 10:24 AM
travisnd
Safety Car

Will do... I think I'm just going to order from Terminal Supply Co. After a quick search I can't find anything locally. I just need to measure the gauge of the wires on the Spal fan when I get home from work tonight to ensure I get the correct terminals.
Old 01-10-2012, 10:27 AM
3X2
Melting Slicks

Understood. I, too, learned something today.
Old 01-10-2012, 10:48 AM
GOTHAM VETTE
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Travis, after quickly reading through that other thread I'm still wondering which method is the best for wiring, what did you decide to go with?
Old 01-10-2012, 11:12 AM
travisnd
Safety Car

I'm wiring it to the driver's side circuit. If you have your own HPTuners or want to pay a tuner $50 to reprogram the high speed fan settings to the lower temps you want then I'd do it to the passenger side and just remove relay 45. Either way works.

Get notified of new replies

To Wiring up Spal fan in a C5? Where can I get the connector?

Old 01-10-2012, 11:14 AM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Use 16ga.
Just get a male and female weatherpak connector and ignore trying to match the stock connectors.
You need the crimping tool ($30) if you are starting from a the bare weatherpak connectors and pins.
Old 01-10-2012, 11:15 AM
travisnd
Safety Car

Hmmmm... so you just cut the OEM connector out and replaced both sides then? I'm going to hit up a local electronics supply place and see if they have what I need at lunch.
Old 01-10-2012, 11:19 AM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Right, this is what I did. And what I have been doing whenever a connector fails (like the ABS connectors). I bought a bunch of weatherpaks (2/3/4 pin versions) and the crimper and it is easy and looks OEM.
Weatherpaks are widely available online and I got the crimper from amazon (I think there is a $100+ dollar version, but the $30 one works fine). There is a little technique involved, so read the instructions if you are rolling your own.

Quick Reply: Wiring up Spal fan in a C5? Where can I get the connector?