Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another HPDE Insurance Thread

Old 01-07-2012, 10:01 AM
L82Brake
Burning Brakes

Received 122 Likes on 101 Posts

Default Another HPDE Insurance Thread

Hello All -

I realize I probably should simply ask my agent, but I thought I'd pass it by.

I just changed insurance companies to Geico, their "racing": exclusion reads like this:

"any physical damage to an auto being driven in or preparing for any racing, speed or demolition contest or stunting activity of any nature, whether or not prearranged or organized".

What do you think? I have been paying for Lockton for HPDE events and would like to rely on my standard policy.

Thanks for any feedback.
Old 01-07-2012, 10:26 AM
mitchcole
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You'll need a lawyer - but each of the clauses includes the idea of a winner. HPDE events do not have a winner. There is no contest, no race, and no stunts.

But if you do wreck - they'll try not to pay for sure.
Old 01-07-2012, 11:13 AM
JimbeauZ06
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

IMHO it just doesn't make sense to try and use your auto policy for track coverage. That's clearly not what the policy is intended for, and the complications and consequences associated with attempting to get payment for a track related claim have been hashed and rehashed on this forum as well as Rennlist, Bimmerforums and other places I occaisionally hang out.

Lockton has a good program with fair pricing by event or by season, and three of my friends have unfortunately had to process claims with them over the last three years. You pay your part and they pay theirs and there's no hassle or BS.

Just my .02
Old 01-07-2012, 11:55 AM
Sidney004
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JimbeauZ06
IMHO it just doesn't make sense to try and use your auto policy for track coverage. That's clearly not what the policy is intended for, and the complications and consequences associated with attempting to get payment for a track related claim have been hashed and rehashed on this forum as well as Rennlist, Bimmerforums and other places I occaisionally hang out.

Lockton has a good program with fair pricing by event or by season, and three of my friends have unfortunately had to process claims with them over the last three years. You pay your part and they pay theirs and there's no hassle or BS.

Just my .02
and I'm an insurance agent. Insurance companies are not pricing their policies for someone to take at $50,000 car to a racetrack and reach speeds of 120+ mph. The risks of an accident and serious injury merit a much higher premium.

Last edited by Sidney004; 01-07-2012 at 12:07 PM.
Old 01-07-2012, 12:22 PM
jlutherva
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Don't ask you insurance agent - they may just cancel your policy. I asked and was told that "They would be removing my Corvette from my auto policy..."

Check out http://www.ontrackinsurance.com/index.aspx. They also give multi-event discounts.

Jim
Old 01-07-2012, 05:25 PM
L82Brake
Burning Brakes

Received 122 Likes on 101 Posts

Thanks for all the great feedback. I do appreciate it. Ill stick with again paying for insurance next year. I've bookmarked ontrack, Ill check them out too.

Thanks again.
Old 01-08-2012, 01:37 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,918 Likes on 5,327 Posts

Originally Posted by 2005dso
Hello All -

I just changed insurance companies to Geico, their "racing": exclusion reads like this:

"any physical damage to an auto being driven in or preparing for any racing, speed or demolition contest or stunting activity of any nature, whether or not prearranged or organized".

What do you think? I have been paying for Lockton for HPDE events and would like to rely on my standard policy.

Thanks for any feedback.
State Farm has a statement that is very clear. Under the exclusions section of the policy they have the following statement (paraphrased): Coverage for any incident that occurs on a surface meant for racing. That includes all the coverage (medical, liability, etc). No need to drop the insurance it just isn't in affect if you are on the track.

Bill
Old 01-08-2012, 07:18 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 2005dso
Hello All -

Thanks for any feedback.
the words above do not exclude a driving school of which many HPDE are.
Old 01-08-2012, 09:33 AM
PA Z06
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by JimbeauZ06

Just my .02
Agree, I have bought insurance a couple times when I am at a new track
Old 01-08-2012, 12:38 PM
nhpln
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Beware that Lockton does NOT cover you if your laps are timed.
Old 01-08-2012, 01:51 PM
jaa1992
Le Mans Master

Location: Life is just one big track event. Everything before and after is prep and warm-up and cool-down laps GA
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by nhpln
Beware that Lockton does NOT cover you if your laps are timed.
Who in their right mind would expect ANY insurance company to cover a timed event????
Old 01-08-2012, 05:00 PM
longdaddy
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

if you have data logging running, it can be argued your laps are timed. if your friend is sitting at the start/finish with a smartphone and checking your times to compare to his, it can be argued your laps are timed.
even if you just have a video camera setup, and you end up posting a lap on youtube with a title "my fast lap at Thunderhill - 2.02!", it can be argued your laps were timed.
just be careful how your actions can be interpreted if you are planning/hoping to have insurance coverage at a DE event.

one reason I would not recommend (in most situations) to try to claim DE damage under your street insurance - they usually do not process these claims and do not train their employees to do that - so even if you "get paid", some careless clerk may put a note "damaged the vehicle while racing at a driver training event" into your insurance record.

as far as coverage for timed events, i do believe there are companies that will do insurance for race cars while on track (i think this is a lot less of a developed business here than it is in europe) - at least for test&tune usage, but you are dealing with pretty different rules/rates/arrangements, likely negotiated on a case by case basis.
Old 01-08-2012, 10:56 PM
2 GTOs
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '11-'12

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
State Farm has a statement that is very clear. Under the exclusions section of the policy they have the following statement (paraphrased): Coverage for any incident that occurs on a surface meant for racing. That includes all the coverage (medical, liability, etc). No need to drop the insurance it just isn't in affect if you are on the track.

Bill
It is the medical part that has always worried me. I can lose the car, but the medical bills......
Old 01-09-2012, 10:57 AM
Sidney004
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 2 GTOs
It is the medical part that has always worried me. I can lose the car, but the medical bills......
Your personal health care coverage will take care of that.
Old 01-09-2012, 06:57 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Sidney004
Your personal health care coverage will take care of that.
it may be excluded in some policies.

Get notified of new replies

To Another HPDE Insurance Thread

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Another HPDE Insurance Thread