Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pros/ Cons to installing oil coolers in this location

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2012, 12:10 PM
GOTHAM VETTE
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Pros/ Cons to installing oil coolers in this location

Good afternoon folks.

In my quest to tackle the heat gremlins in my S/C car, I'm looking to relocate my oil cooler from the front of the car (where it is no doubt preheating the air passing through my IC and then Rad) I'm thinking of moving it to the same location that Nich Yoshkin did (see below).

My questions are as follows:

1) If I fab up a duct from the fog light area that feeds the cooler and is sealed to the face of it, do you think it will be as efficient/ effective as it is when it's mounted at the front of the car?
2) Since I only have a single oil cooler which will be mounted on the drivers side, do you think it will do anything stupid to the aero in that wheel well? I've seen where people cut holes in the top of the wheel arches to reduce the lift in that area, would I need to do something that drastic?

Last edited by GOTHAM VETTE; 01-06-2012 at 10:26 PM.
Old 01-06-2012, 12:38 PM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Fully sealed passage (i.e. a tube and then an end that forms a shroud to the cooler) from the fog light should be fine, but obviously less airflow than from the front.

I doubt the aero will be any worse than stock, but the wheel well air may screw with flow to the oil cooler.

Flip the cooler from how it is oriented in the pics, ideally both fittings should be on top to prevent pockets of air in the cooler.
Old 01-06-2012, 01:36 PM
travisnd
Safety Car

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Yep... you want the fittings going in from the op so the cooler fills up all the way. If mout mout it with the fittings on the side you want the cooler inlet at the bottom.
Old 01-06-2012, 01:39 PM
Black89Z51
Suckin' gas, haulin' ass.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I suppose the only thing I could think of would be if you shredded a tire, that mesh in the wheel well isn't going to stop a big piece of rubber.

You are probably going to have to change the oil pump running that much oil line (one on each side of the car).
Old 01-06-2012, 03:28 PM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

oil pump will do fine.
Old 01-07-2012, 03:16 AM
trackboss
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

A oil/water heat exchanger would package much better.
Old 01-07-2012, 08:04 AM
Rayzzz
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Default mine

B&M trans cooler on my 2005 C6 with an A4 Trans that I installed. after the install my car dropped 30* trans temp.
THANKS RAYZZZ MY CORVETTE LIKES MY MONEY

o

Gutter screen stuff for brake duct hole. Removed the brake duct piping now puts air on cooler.

B&M fan trans cooler (The BIG ONE)

Panel behind the cooler I modded up for air flow

O

Shimmed the fog light back with copper tubing acouple of brackets I made and longer screws

A couple of cuts to the bottom of headlight

o
Old 01-23-2012, 05:19 PM
blkbrd69
Drifting

Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

Great post. Plan on doing the same but using my fog light opening for the A6 transmission cooler, the trans got a bit warm at Sebring even on a cold day.
Old 01-24-2012, 07:28 AM
GOTHAM VETTE
Drifting

I wasn't planning on mounting a fan in my setup, do you think it would be beneficial??
Old 01-24-2012, 10:26 AM
trapp
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GOTHAM VETTE
Good afternoon folks.

In my quest to tackle the heat gremlins in my S/C car, I'm looking to relocate my oil cooler from the front of the car (where it is no doubt preheating the air passing through my IC and then Rad) I'm thinking of moving it to the same location that Nich Yoshkin did (see below).

My questions are as follows:

1) If I fab up a duct from the fog light area that feeds the cooler and is sealed to the face of it, do you think it will be as efficient/ effective as it is when it's mounted at the front of the car?
2) Since I only have a single oil cooler which will be mounted on the drivers side, do you think it will do anything stupid to the aero in that wheel well? I've seen where people cut holes in the top of the wheel arches to reduce the lift in that area, would I need to do something that drastic?
I knew this looked familar: http://www.breathlessperformance.com...productId=1119
Old 01-24-2012, 10:27 AM
travisnd
Safety Car

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

^ Holy overkill extra weight Batman!
Old 01-24-2012, 11:08 AM
Solofast
Melting Slicks

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts

The oil cooler with the connections at the bottom isn't going to have much, if any oil in it unless you have some kind of bleed hole at the top with a return line to the sump somewhere. Mounted like it is, it's just going to have a big air bubble in it, the oil is going to go a short way up into the cooler and then go across the bottom. If you get any air in the oil it's going to collect in the cooler.

Really bad way to mount a cooler.
Old 01-24-2012, 12:56 PM
GOTHAM VETTE
Drifting

Originally Posted by Solofast
The oil cooler with the connections at the bottom isn't going to have much, if any oil in it unless you have some kind of bleed hole at the top with a return line to the sump somewhere. Mounted like it is, it's just going to have a big air bubble in it, the oil is going to go a short way up into the cooler and then go across the bottom. If you get any air in the oil it's going to collect in the cooler.

I agree, the pictures are for cooler locations only. I'll be mounting them with the feed line on the bottom and exit on the top.
Old 01-24-2012, 07:53 PM
blkbrd69
Drifting

Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Solofast

Not quite true, old racer wives tale. Only way this would happen is if the air were the same viscosity as oil.

Many factory coolers are mounted fittings down. Due to the ease of purging air vs oil it works fine, remember you are talking a decent pressure drop across a cooler.

Get notified of new replies

To Pros/ Cons to installing oil coolers in this location

Quick Reply: Pros/ Cons to installing oil coolers in this location