Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harness certification

Old 12-31-2011, 11:49 AM
2 GTOs
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '11-'12

Default Harness certification

For HPDE purposes, is it a problem to use a harness that is past the certification date?
Old 12-31-2011, 12:19 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 475 Likes on 422 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

It will depend entirely on who is hosting the event and what their rules are. Some events may only check the webbing for condition and how they are mounted. Some will go right to the label and look for the date. Also some events will check to see that the belts are routed properly and proper seats are used with them. If you take passengers or an instructor, some events require that the passenger seat has exactly the same set-up.

I have G-Force 5-point lap link style harness sets in my 87 and they offer a re-certification service for around $50. Last August, I sent my old belts back for re-certification and they simple sent a brand-new set of belts back to me. Got all new hardware too!! The program is listed on their website. Summit Racing sells G-Force belts.
Old 12-31-2011, 01:15 PM
longdaddy
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

facts:
most tech/self-tech forms for DEs simply mention that the harness must be in "good condition". That would leave it up to the driver to decide if the belt that is older than various standards allow can be considered to be in a good condition.

PCA DE tech inspection form for my region states that 5/6pt harness must be less than 5 yrs old (due to UV degradation) in order to pass - so expired harness would (at least in theory) preclude you from attending track events ran by PCA.

opinion:
most rules are there for a reason, and bending them too much too often may lead to learning what that reason is exactly, in an unpleasant way.
Old 01-01-2012, 10:03 AM
DRKCYDE
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Cruise-In VII & IX Veteran

http://www.crowenterprizes.com/Pages/Recert.html

Get notified of new replies

To Harness certification

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Harness certification