Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fire Suppression System Install Suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2011, 08:57 AM
DansBlkonBlkZ06
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fire Suppression System Install Suggestions

I'm putting in a fire suppression system this winter. Does anyone have some photos on their install? Where is the best place to put the extinguisher as well as the pull handle? Where is the best location to go through the front with the tubing? Any DIY threads out there? Thanks for any suggestions.
Old 12-24-2011, 09:53 AM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 709 Likes on 490 Posts

the main goal of a small system is to protect the DRIVER, not the car. You only get a few seconds of spray, so don't go crazy covering the engine bay and fuel tanks with a bunch of nozzles, or the driver will get nothing.

they usually come with soft aluminum tubing that is easily cut and bent. You can mount the bottle in the passenger floor, or in the back, totally up to you and your weight needs. It's really not a complicated process
Old 12-24-2011, 10:39 AM
MySR71
Pro

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

I have the big system (5.0 liter) from ESS Fire. It is the double pull handle mechanical system with an aluminum tank. I didn't do the install but here's a few pictures.

The tank is located behind the roll hoop and rear cage support bars.

One pull handle is on the dash so the driver can reach it. The dash panel where the pull handle is mounted in made of metal.

The other pull handle is accessible through the passenger's side window. I was hoping that this handle could be mounted on the same pad as the electric kill switch but the cable wouldn't really route there. That's one of the downsides of the mechanical systems. The cables are harder to route and offer fewer options.

My system has four nozzles. The driver, over the transmission, and two to the engine bay.

Driver

Engine bay

One other thing to note, which may not be a problem in SC, is that the ESS Fire system uses AFFF which has a lot of water in the tank. Since I am in Michigan and my garage gets below freezing in the winter, I have to remove the tank each winter.

There's some more pictures from different people here:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/auto...e-mounted.html
Old 12-24-2011, 11:50 AM
WNeal
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In Veteran VII
Cruise-In Veteran VIII
"Slower Azz Dog"
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09

run the tube through the fire wall where all you main electrical comes through. There should be a rubber seal that easily penetrated.

Zip ties will be your friend. After making sure the bottle is nice and secure, the rest of the install is very easy
Old 12-24-2011, 12:55 PM
BERETTA
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 113 Likes on 78 Posts

Mine came with 6 nozzles, so I put 3 on me and 3 on the engine.

Old 12-24-2011, 07:23 PM
travisnd
Safety Car

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

I went with the Spa Technique 4.0 AFFF system from OG Racing. It has 6 nozels and two mechanical pulls... hope I never have to test it. I put one nozzel on the rear diff/trans, one on my feet/legs, one on my torso and 3 on the engine bay. Since I have the HVAC unit and dash out of the car I was able to use one of the pre-existing holes in the firewall that was on the right center. It was where one of the attachment studs for the HVAC unit had passed through; worked perfectly. The brackets for the nozzels are just aluminum flat-bar you can get at most any home improvement store. I used a combination of nutserts, rivets and nut/bolts it install them depening on what worked best for the area they were in.

Driver's side pull

Passenger side pull

Bottle mount

Rear diff/trans nozzel

Feet/legs/torso nozzel

Engine bay nozzels

Last edited by travisnd; 12-24-2011 at 08:11 PM.
Old 12-28-2011, 10:35 PM
RacePro Engineering
Tech Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Dan,

Based on your question, it sounds like you are a ways away from actual racing, but here is something to keep in mind:

SCCA (and I am certain, other sanctioning bodies as well) has some fairly specific rules about the placement of spray nozzles, based on how many the system has. For instance, the halon system in our ITE car has 4 nozzles, and two MUST be directed at the driver, and at least one MUST be directed at the motor.

If you ever plan on racing, doing it according to the regs right at the start could save some time later.

A bottle of a fire supression system has significant weight, so placing it as low as possible in the cockpit is never a bad thing.

Ed
Old 12-29-2011, 12:19 AM
rmackintosh
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by davidfarmer
the main goal of a small system is to protect the DRIVER, not the car. You only get a few seconds of spray, so don't go crazy covering the engine bay and fuel tanks with a bunch of nozzles, or the driver will get nothing.

they usually come with soft aluminum tubing that is easily cut and bent. You can mount the bottle in the passenger floor, or in the back, totally up to you and your weight needs. It's really not a complicated process
This....driver is #1, #2 and #3 options....goal is to get you out....let the corner workers save the car!
Old 12-31-2011, 03:26 PM
yooper
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Get notified of new replies

To Fire Suppression System Install Suggestions

Quick Reply: Fire Suppression System Install Suggestions