Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chasing Michael Smith (goldeneagle_10) at Road Atlanta... my most exciting race yet.

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2011, 01:31 AM
travisnd
Safety Car

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Chasing Michael Smith (goldeneagle_10) at Road Atlanta... my most exciting race yet.

I figured this deserved its own thread

Saturday's Thunder race at Road Atlanta running with NASA at the Toy Run. This is the most fun I've had on track in my entire life. Michael and I are duking it out for 3rd place here. Stinks it had to end with a crash for Michael... that was tough to watch unfold; shook me up quite a bit.

PS: Yes... I do yell at my car to go faster at times and I may or may not have said, "I want my tire Bitch" in the esses at one point

Last edited by travisnd; 12-05-2011 at 01:55 AM.
Old 12-05-2011, 06:16 AM
Jason
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

There is nothing like the battle.
Old 12-05-2011, 06:51 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Old 12-05-2011, 07:52 AM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

man it was epic to watch, we were up on top eyes glued with "oohs and aahhs" during your T1 battles.

looks like michael just nipped the inside curbing, that's probably what upside the car. I've done that, it'll really kick the rear around.
Old 12-05-2011, 09:25 AM
BERETTA
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 113 Likes on 78 Posts

Very nice good job by both of you Looked like great fun, I hate it for Michael-very glad he is ok
Old 12-05-2011, 10:46 AM
PushinTheLimit
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by drivinhard
man it was epic to watch, we were up on top eyes glued with "oohs and aahhs" during your T1 battles.

looks like michael just nipped the inside curbing, that's probably what upside the car. I've done that, it'll really kick the rear around.
I was having a blast out there. I was very surprised to be that high in qualifying with all the fast ST2 cars that showed up this weekend. Thats really the third weekend I've ever driven Road Atlanta

I was watching my mirrors very closely and was using some of the racecraft I learned this year to manipulate the traffic to my advantage over Brian. I thought if I could just keep him behind for the first 3/4's of the race, I could manage the final laps and come home 3rd. My car was driving very good and was starting to get a little loose on me toward the last couple of laps... but nothing that I wasn't used to or couldn't manage. I actually backed up turn 12 slightly to get a run to the inside of the blue CMC mustang so I could protect the inside going into turn 1. But as soon as I went full throttle, it just came around and I just closed my eyes waiting for the impact. Surprisingly enough it didn't hit nearly as hard as I thought it would. Alot of energy was absorbed with the left front.

We've already stripped the car down quite a bit and all the panels except the doors, roof and front/rear windshields will need to be replaced. The front frame rails are bent pretty good and two of my CCW's will need to be repaired or replaced (might be able to salvage the inner ring on both bent rims). The radiator looks to be ok but I haven't got that far yet... which would be very surprising to me. There was a slight oil and water leak when we got it in the garage but nothing too major. I'm thinking those leaks are in the lines themselves.

So in while doing this, I'm going to change springs, shocks and pick up a wing and splitter while I'm at it. I've decided to hang on to some of the other stuff I have for it that was going to go on it this winter and just get them installed when I can. I'll be down for a few months, but if things aren't too bad... I might be able to have it back together before 2013. We shall see.

But I'm ok... just disappointed in myself. Just glad I didn't take you out with me Brian. Enjoyed racing with you and looking forward to a rematch.

Originally Posted by BERETTA
Very nice good job by both of you Looked like great fun, I hate it for Michael-very glad he is ok
Thanks Dennis... I picked the worst place to try and knock a wall down. I'm going to use your aero thread as my inspiration for my rebuild... I'll eventually start my own thread for that in the next few days.

Last edited by PushinTheLimit; 12-05-2011 at 10:54 AM.
Old 12-05-2011, 12:25 PM
Kubs
Le Mans Master

Received 1,722 Likes on 931 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

Wow!! I used up most of my lunchtime but I was on the edge of my seat the whole time!! That was an awesome battle, and too bad the way it ended but I am glad everyone is OK. It sounds like you will be back out in no time though goldeneagle.
Old 12-05-2011, 12:29 PM
Brent Dalton
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Michael, you may want to give Jerry a call. He and Yoder can probably square you away on the bent frame rails.

Glad you are alright man. Let me know if I can do anything to help.
Old 12-05-2011, 12:35 PM
PushinTheLimit
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Brent Dalton
Michael, you may want to give Jerry a call. He and Yoder can probably square you away on the bent frame rails.

Glad you are alright man. Let me know if I can do anything to help.
That's who I had in mind I'll be calling him soon and discussing some stuff once I completely strip all the torn up stuff on the car.
Old 12-05-2011, 03:13 PM
jaa1992
Le Mans Master

Location: Life is just one big track event. Everything before and after is prep and warm-up and cool-down laps GA
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by Kubs
Wow!! I used up most of my lunchtime but I was on the edge of my seat the whole time!! That was an awesome battle, and too bad the way it ended but I am glad everyone is OK. It sounds like you will be back out in no time though goldeneagle.
It was even more awesome watching from spectator hill. Was able to see turn 3 thru 7 between these two guys and the three white rustangs it was an awesome race until the red flag

At least Thunder got the most green laps on Saturday.
Old 12-05-2011, 03:42 PM
BERETTA
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 113 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Brent Dalton
Old 12-05-2011, 03:44 PM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

Old 12-05-2011, 03:52 PM
TmillerC5
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

That did look like a lot of fun. Nothing like, simular powered cars to play with.
Old 12-05-2011, 04:55 PM
Z06Tracker
Pro

I noticed the same thing. I am glad he is ok.

Originally Posted by drivinhard

Old 12-05-2011, 07:34 PM
PA Z06
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Great racing, was tuff to watch the end, glad you are ok
Old 12-05-2011, 07:40 PM
Painrace
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 63 Likes on 48 Posts

Good driving guys. It brought back a lot of great memories!

Jim
Old 12-05-2011, 09:11 PM
BFoster
Burning Brakes

Received 132 Likes on 49 Posts

WOW what a race! Thanks for posting, very fun to watch!

Aannnd you're not the only one yelling and screaming at your car for more power. I have a video racing Spec Miata several years ago where I was screaming, and pounding my fist on the dash of the car trying to make it go faster on the straights. Didn't work, so I just had to dive-bomb the corners!

Get notified of new replies

To Chasing Michael Smith (goldeneagle_10) at Road Atlanta... my most exciting race yet.

Old 12-05-2011, 09:49 PM
71corv
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Enjoyed the video. Glad no one was hurt. Thanks for posting.

Gene
Old 12-05-2011, 10:00 PM
diddiyo
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

great racing! that track looks like a lot of fun with all the elevation changes!
Old 12-05-2011, 10:13 PM
Jason
Team Owner

CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

Originally Posted by diddiyo
great racing! that track looks like a lot of fun with all the elevation changes!
"Road Atlanta is a bit like mid ohio but its mountains instead of hills and you are going 95mph where instead of 70mph"

Quick Reply: Chasing Michael Smith (goldeneagle_10) at Road Atlanta... my most exciting race yet.