Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

microphones for video on track?

Old 12-04-2011, 09:50 PM
JeremyGSU
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Default microphones for video on track?

Can anyone recommend a good microphone to use with a camera for track use? I just bought the new GoPro Hero and it has an input for a mic. Finally no more wind noise. I'd like to run it to the engine.

Anyone using one?

Thanks!
Old 12-05-2011, 02:29 AM
Last C5
Safety Car

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Get a Sony ECM-MS907. It comes with a mount that it slips in and out of and you can put a piece of self adhesive velcro on the mount and stick it anywhere you want it. I usually position it in the center near the rear of the car on the carpet somewhere. You can get them from B&H Photo on the web.
Old 12-26-2011, 09:03 PM
CDaniel525
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Last C5
Get a Sony ECM-MS907. It comes with a mount that it slips in and out of and you can put a piece of self adhesive velcro on the mount and stick it anywhere you want it. I usually position it in the center near the rear of the car on the carpet somewhere. You can get them from B&H Photo on the web.
Did you hook up this Sony Mic to the new GoPro?? How was the audio??
Im looking for something as well!

Anything cheaper out there? $75 is a bit pricey on Amazon, but I will spend that much if it means I finally get some good audio!!
Old 12-27-2011, 11:03 AM
C66 Racing
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

Have you tried the Go Pro in the car yet? I used mine for the first time this past season and found there was almost no wind noise with my camera mounted centerline in the car (on my roll cage). But, my car now has headers, no cats, an only a small racing muffler to keep me under the SCCA's 103 dB limit - I had no problem hearing the engine with my Go Pro.

C66 Racing #66 NASA ST2, SCCA T2
AMSOIL Dealer (Forum Vendor)
AMSOIL Ordering Information (Retail sales using reference #1206638 benefit the forum.)
AMSOIL Preferred Customer Program (Members buy at Wholesale - a savings of about 25%)
AMSOIL Catalog

Old 12-27-2011, 02:53 PM
Last C5
Safety Car

Originally Posted by CDaniel525
Did you hook up this Sony Mic to the new GoPro?? How was the audio??
Im looking for something as well!

Anything cheaper out there? $75 is a bit pricey on Amazon, but I will spend that much if it means I finally get some good audio!!
No, mine was hooked up to a Panasonic camcorder but the plug is the same size the GoPro uses so there's no reason it wouldn't work.
Yes, there are plenty of cheaper mics out there. It's a case of getting what you pay for.
Old 12-27-2011, 03:54 PM
CDaniel525
Melting Slicks

No, mine was hooked up to a Panasonic camcorder but the plug is the same size the GoPro uses so there's no reason it wouldn't work.
Yes, there are plenty of cheaper mics out there. It's a case of getting what you pay for.

Sounds good... Its on my short list of ones to buy... Do you have any videos on youtube or that you can post here that I can hear!?

Thanks!
Old 12-27-2011, 10:44 PM
Corvee
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Audio-technica ATR3350 has an 1/8th inch mini-plug and should fit the GoPro. Cost ~$25.00 on Amazon. It has a long
lead so you can mount the mic under the seat to decrease the wind noise. -Good unit.

Last edited by Corvee; 12-27-2011 at 10:53 PM.
Old 12-28-2011, 02:36 AM
Last C5
Safety Car

Originally Posted by CDaniel525
Sounds good... Its on my short list of ones to buy... Do you have any videos on youtube or that you can post here that I can hear!?

Thanks!
Old one.

http://youtu.be/JsKVcwgC850
Old 12-28-2011, 08:21 AM
JeremyGSU
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Subdriver
Have you tried the Go Pro in the car yet? I used mine for the first time this past season and found there was almost no wind noise with my camera mounted centerline in the car (on my roll cage). But, my car now has headers, no cats, an only a small racing muffler to keep me under the SCCA's 103 dB limit - I had no problem hearing the engine with my Go Pro.
I've used the GoPro many times. Even with the camera inside with the stock exhaust and no mic you don't hear the car very well. If I were to run the mic into the trunk area I think you would hear the exhaust a lot better.

The other issue is if you use it anywhere outside all you get is wind. I was hoping to run the mic outside and secure the connection to the camera somehow so it won't come out but capture the exhaust sound.
Old 12-29-2011, 08:16 PM
Han Solo
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've got a $10 Radio Shack mic I use to stick under the rear of my Mustang and plugged it into my Sony digital 8 camcorder. Sounded better than the wind noise but not quite as good as the built in mic without wind. If you have to use any adapters or extension cords tape the connections together with electrical tape or they can cause static from vibrations.

Here's an example. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qp1Tp...e8AUAAAAAAAHAA
Old 12-30-2011, 08:41 PM
CDaniel525
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by JeremyGSU
I've used the GoPro many times. Even with the camera inside with the stock exhaust and no mic you don't hear the car very well. If I were to run the mic into the trunk area I think you would hear the exhaust a lot better.

The other issue is if you use it anywhere outside all you get is wind. I was hoping to run the mic outside and secure the connection to the camera somehow so it won't come out but capture the exhaust sound.
I was leaning towards the same thing, sorta... Being able to mount the camera anywhere, front bumper, fenders, inside of car, etc, but be able to run the wired mic to the rear fascia or somewhere underneath the car so itll pickup the exhaust at all times. Worse case scenario, running it in the trunk area!

Only bad thing I read so far is the GoPro has an automatic gain control while using the ext mic... and might turn down the volume of the ext mic if its too loud, guess well see! Regardless its gotta be better getting sounds directly from the source (exhaust)
Old 01-02-2012, 01:32 AM
kentz06
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The plan for my new GoPro Hero 2 is to suction cup the camera towards the front of the hood and put a mic with a foam wind cover into the engine compartment. If it works the camera could be moved anywhere on the car.

Dean
Old 01-02-2012, 09:09 AM
jlutherva
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I just received the Sony ECM-MS907. The plug will not fit the connector on the GoPro Hero. In addition, you will need the new skeleton housing for the GoPro to allow a microphone connection ($39).

Since none of the connections on the GoPro Hero are labeled for an external mike and are labeled as outputs, I asked support at GoPro about using an external mike. Their response was: " The HD Hero original and HD Hero 2 both do not have the capability to have an external microphone that would work properly. You could try a microphone from a third party, but there are no guarantees if it would work."

So does anyone actually have experience using an external mike with the GoPro?

Last edited by jlutherva; 01-03-2012 at 07:32 PM. Reason: Added housing info. and info from GoPro
Old 01-02-2012, 12:22 PM
Californiapch
Instructor

Originally Posted by Corvee
Audio-technica ATR3350 has an 1/8th inch mini-plug and should fit the GoPro. Cost ~$25.00 on Amazon. It has a long
lead so you can mount the mic under the seat to decrease the wind noise. -Good unit.

I have one of these. I will be doing some video footage this week.

I also have professional mics too I might try.

Brian
Old 01-04-2012, 12:09 AM
jlutherva
Drifting

I edited my original post, but let me ask this again - Has anyone actually got an external mike working with a GoPro Hero?

Jim
Old 01-04-2012, 06:48 AM
kunkelb2
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i'm going to be replicating this setup: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pelIZi4kGd0
Old 01-04-2012, 10:33 AM
jlutherva
Drifting

Originally Posted by kunkelb2
i'm going to be replicating this setup: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pelIZi4kGd0
Great, let us know how this works. It's hard to believe that you can plug a mike into a TV output connector and have it work. Do you have the skeleton case? If so, does the skeleton case have an opening for the rear screen on the GoPro?

Jim

Get notified of new replies

To microphones for video on track?

Old 01-04-2012, 10:43 AM
CDaniel525
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by kunkelb2
HMM.. that actually sounds pretty good! I was going to get that ATR-3350 but I wasnt sure that it would work...
Which GoPro do you have??

The original Hero didnt have a ext mic jack and you had to open up the camera and modify it to work, which is what sounds like this guy did if you watch and read more of his videos.

If you have the Hero2 is comes with a ext mic jack, which is stereo.
I believe this means there are connections for the ground, L audio, and R audio.
Not sure the ATR-3350 will work, if you look at the jack plug it is only a mono, see pic below it has ground and single audio.

It may still work though. id hope that the jack on the camera would just accept the mono input in the different L / R inputs. But dont know if the long part of the jack plug is the audio or ground??

If you bought this mic already, please do let me know how you make out! I would love to get that one for my motorcycle...

On a few others advice on there I ended up getting a larger video camera style microphone... Specifically the Audio-Technica Pro24CM. See pic below
This one is definitely a stereo jack plug and has its own battery power to work with the new Hero2. And the Audio-Technica reviews I listened to on youtube were phenomenal over other brands... Even that ATr-3350 sounded great.
It should be delivered today, so if I got time and its not too F'in cold out, ill try to make a few videos with it

jlutherva... What do you mean by plugging in a mic into a TV output??
Do you have the GoPro Hero2 or the Hero... if the original you have to modify the camera to work with a mic like I mentioned above. With the Hero2 it has a ext mic input already, seperate from the TV output.

the skeleton case, does have the sides open to hook up any of the wires, also getting that delivered today.

Sorry for all this long winded stuff but Ive been researching the heck out of this stuff for past few days, still looking to see what others have learned and tried, and trying to help others.

Old 01-04-2012, 03:03 PM
jlutherva
Drifting

CDaniel525,
I have the Hero, not the Hero2, so all I have is an HD TV output, a USB and a TV speaker output - no mike input.

I'm done worrying about this for now. I would like good sounding exhaust audio; however, I'm more interested in just improving my driving.

Jim
Old 01-04-2012, 04:20 PM
AMEENR
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The "autogain" internal GoPro mic is JUNK and gets overwhelmed at anything over 15 mph if the camera is mounted in the wind.

I currently use the GoPro HD plus a separate microphone that I strap to the center console armrest (Zoom H1). Since the camera and mic aren't physically linked, I'll clap or make some noise to aid syncing the audio with the GoPro video afterwards in Sony Vegas.

A few examples:
http://youtu.be/xzle_Vtkstg?hd=1

http://youtu.be/Yn6xObTVgjs?hd=1

http://youtu.be/LhYYlKiRrZA?hd=1

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: microphones for video on track?