Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Roval tire rotation pattern?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2011, 06:34 PM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

Default Roval tire rotation pattern?

Just finished first day at Daytona HPDE. Did last 2 session on R80s and have 4 more sessions tomorrow. Normally I would rotate tires from front to rear. But seems like I read somewhere that the right rear is the one that wears. Should I rotate tires to where all spend time on right rear, or just split time from right side to left side? Definitely don't want no blowout at 170+.
Old 12-04-2011, 08:06 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 833 Likes on 594 Posts

Hey Johnny - sorry we didn't get to BS for too long, but thanks for stopping by my car. It was great to meet ya'!!!

The event is over, so I guess you got it figured out!!

I ran all 3 days with the same tires on the same side of the car (C6 Z06 - different sizes front and rear).

I was planning on probably needing to swap sides about 1/2 way through the event, but everything looked good with very even wear on both sides, so I just left them all where they were at the start of the event.

I was just running on street tires (I had a set of wheels/tires off my ZR1 on my Z06). They were the OE ZR1 Michelin PS2 ZP tires and they were AMAZING!!!!

I had a brake problem on a front brake today (after my 10th session - almost 5 hours on the track) and I was thinking I'd swap sides, but both I took off the front wheels to swap pads and put a fresh rotor on the right side and new pads in both front calipers, and I decided to just leave the wheels/tires where they were.

I've got about 10,000 street miles on the tires and 8 track days, 4 of them running hard at Daytona, and the tires just kept amazing me every time I went out on the track!!!

I've been through a couple sets of OE Goodyears on the Z06, and they are pretty much completely shot at 10,000 miles of street driving, especially if I've done a few track days on them. I thought the GY's were decent on the track for a street tire, but OMG - these Michelins are so far above the GY's that they are in a totally different league! They grip and they wear!!! After all the street miles and track days, they look like they'll easily go another 8-10,000 miles on the street.

What was crazy at this event was all the Porsches shredding the right rear tires!!!!!!!!!!!!!! There were at least 3, and maybe a couple more than that. The 3 I went and looked at were all Hoosiers. I think only one caused a lot of body/suspension damage. Like you said, it's not something I want to experience at 170+, but I think they were all at high speed on the straights right after coming off the banking. It was pretty amazing that none of them went into the wall - I saw a gray Porsche spinning down the front straight and cutting donuts at about 160 mph!!!

So.....If wear is even, leave them where they are!! Nothing the matter with swapping sides though!!

Again - great to meet you at Daytona!!!

Bob
Old 12-05-2011, 10:47 AM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

Nice meeting you. I tried to find you earlier but didn't know there were garages that far down! I was at the end of my Hoosier R80s but I did not notice any unusual wear on them, plus they were checking them closely on the grid. I probably would have swapped sides with them if I had done one more day.

I wish I could have found you Friday as I did not have an instructor and had to figure track out on my own. I was running sub 2:10 laps by Sat afternoon, but probably could have been there quicker with some help.

Definitely looking foward to next year!

Get notified of new replies

To Roval tire rotation pattern?

Quick Reply: Roval tire rotation pattern?