Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Racing rabbits at the old Marlboro Raceway

Old 11-24-2011, 10:52 PM
FastEddy
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Racing rabbits at the old Marlboro Raceway

Who remembers the old Marlboro Raceway in Upper Marlboro Md?? I was 5 when it was shut down in 1970 or so. I thought the Trans-Am series got it's start there?? Well it's still there.....but nothing to race these days, 'cept maybe a few rabbits..... lol.

I found out most of the pavement was still there about two years ago, and swore as soon as I got my car back together again, that I would find a way to get it on the track....and three weeks after getting it running last spring, I did!! I stopped by during a nice fathers day drive.

I was able to run a few laps on the oval, but it was a little dicy with tires slipp'n on the grass!!! The rest of the track is too grown over, but the grandstands and all the pavement is still there - well except for a section that was washed out by a nearby creek during a storm . Of course there were NO trees near the track back in the day. I just wish I had my movie camera - Haven't made it back yet.

The first picture is approaching the start/finish line.
Attached Images       

Last edited by FastEddy; 11-24-2011 at 10:58 PM.
Old 11-24-2011, 11:19 PM
sspeed30043
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cool, just found it on Bing maps, nothing that a weed wacker couldnt take care of...if that was in my backyard i'd be having a ball.

Also looks like it was built on swamp land...

http://www.bing.com/maps/?v=2&cp=qg1...MD&form=LMLTCC
Old 11-25-2011, 08:37 AM
JiminVirginia
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very interesting. About 45 miles from me.

Jim
Old 11-25-2011, 08:54 AM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally built in 1952 by Eugene Chaney (of Chaney Enterprises, a large Maryland-based sand, gravel and concrete producer), MMR started life as an all-dirt oval track. For the 1954 season, a road course (which was later expanded) was added and the track was paved. The facility also featured a karting track in the infield of the oval.

The development of this road course was heavily influenced by the Lavender Hill Mob, a Washington, D.C.-based affiliate of the SCCA. Until 1954, most large-scale road races held in the Capital area took place at airfields and other such temporary facilities. MMR was in operation during the height of Maryland motorsports. Between MMR, Beltsville Speedway (an oval track outside northeast D.C.) and Aquasco Speedway (one of the first 1/4-mile drag strips on the east coast and the first in the Mid-Atlantic area), Maryland played host to many high-profile motorsports events and welcomed many historic figures in automobile racing. Motorsports entrepreneur Roger Penske got his start at Marlboro and many other greats in oval and road racing made their way to "The Grand Lady of the East" to test their stock cars and grand prix racers on its challenging curves and intimidating straights.[5]

Marlboro Motor Raceway -- 1965MMR was also utilized by motorcycle racing circuits and hosted such greats as Gary Nixon.

MMR was not strictly used for racing. The Maryland State Police frequently used the track as a training facility for their high-speed maneuvering and handling courses.

"Marlboro Maroon Metallic", a color available on the 1967 and 1970 Chevrolet Corvette and one of many paint codes named for famous racing venues, was named after Marlboro Motor Raceway

Last edited by 95jersey; 11-25-2011 at 08:58 AM.
Old 11-25-2011, 09:05 AM
CHJ In Virginia
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Great bit of history - thanks for posting. Good looking Vette !
Old 11-25-2011, 09:45 AM
Everett Ogilvie
Melting Slicks

Very interesting, sad to see this happen to tracks.
Old 11-25-2011, 10:49 AM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

I have read a few of these ghost track websites and they all seem to have the same problems in common that resulted in their closure...safety. For this particular track it was stated that a couple of the sections of the course were so close that only several feet of grass median seperated opposing traffic at extremely high rates of speed, with no concrete barriers, just wood fences. Faced with expensive renovations to meet new SCCA safety standards, the owners decided to close the track.
Old 11-25-2011, 11:07 AM
dvandentop
Race Director

Received 583 Likes on 242 Posts

wow pretty neat looking old track
Old 11-25-2011, 01:18 PM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Check out this old track. Meadowdale Intl just outside of Chicago. This one had the famous Monza wall (smaller replica of the Monza wall in Italy).

http://mirpix.homestead.com/fotoguide.html

Take a lap of this "real man's" course.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtOXS...layer_embedded

Recent Pictures

http://mirpix.homestead.com/

Last edited by 95jersey; 11-25-2011 at 01:20 PM.
Old 11-26-2011, 12:50 PM
dvandentop
Race Director

Received 583 Likes on 242 Posts

wow that one is very cool as well back when construction cost were alot cheaper there was alot more tracks, wonder how much track days cost back when these were open? $20 a day?
Old 11-26-2011, 01:19 PM
Everett Ogilvie
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by dvandentop
wow that one is very cool as well back when construction cost were alot cheaper there was alot more tracks, wonder how much track days cost back when these were open? $20 a day?
That is cool isn't it - I wonder if Mike raced on it...... being the old man that he is......

Get notified of new replies

To Racing rabbits at the old Marlboro Raceway

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Racing rabbits at the old Marlboro Raceway