Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Castrol SRF brake fluid

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2011, 12:48 PM
Canam
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Castrol SRF brake fluid

Anyone else use it? My car is full of it and I'm told its the best to prevent fade. Is there any cheaper alternative or should I just keep with it. Stuffs pretty expensive but if its that good I'm fine with it.
Old 11-24-2011, 01:18 PM
SLandstra_Z06
Pro

I've used it exclusively for my track-only Z06. I've never had a problem with boiling fluid and use the car hard. I'm a believer.

Steve

Last edited by SLandstra_Z06; 11-27-2011 at 09:09 PM.
Old 11-24-2011, 01:31 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Expensive by the can, but will cost less over the year of use.

best Brake / clutch fluid on the market
Old 11-24-2011, 03:08 PM
C5ZEE06
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Btw.... Whose making deals on SRF at the moment ?
Old 11-24-2011, 04:58 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by C5ZEE06
Btw.... Whose making deals on SRF at the moment ?
try DRM
Old 11-24-2011, 07:54 PM
Gray Ghost GS
"AlohaC5" Senior Member

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

After years of using ATE Super Blue/Gold fluid, I'm going to Castrol SRF for the 2012 season.
Old 11-24-2011, 09:08 PM
dvandentop
Race Director

Received 583 Likes on 242 Posts

it is awesome , show up on ebay for a good price usually per bottle or drm has great prices on it
Old 11-25-2011, 08:20 AM
RaleighSS
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think SRF is the best fluid out there and it can not be beat. From What I understand racers who use it only bleed the caliper before an event then top off... If you are using the car monthly or more I think it is good... But I have had HPDE students in green group who do 2 events a year say they used SRF ... way overkill for that.
Old 11-25-2011, 11:32 AM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Why is it the best? Highest wet boiling point of anything else out there. Very close to the highest dry boiling point.

About 3-4 years ago, there was a huge shortage of SRF in the US. The phone calls from top teams in every form of Motorsports started calling us. Nascar, indy, ALMS, grand am, sprint cars, drag racers, motorcycles, karting, and etc. They all use this stuff by the case.

Why do we sell it at a damn good price? Because we can't sell other things if your car is piled up in the tires at the end of the straight

http://dougrippie.com/?p=430

Thanks
Randy
Old 11-25-2011, 12:29 PM
Scooter70
Le Mans Master

Received 124 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by RaleighSS
I think SRF is the best fluid out there and it can not be beat. From What I understand racers who use it only bleed the caliper before an event then top off...
What do you top it off with? Do you keep enough fluid in the bottle to bleed for the next few times or open a new $80 bottle and leave that on the shelf? Everyone always says that as soon as you open the bottle it's no good to save.

For me, it's easier (and cheaper) to just flush the whole system with ATE a few times a summer. I've never had an issue with boiling fluid doing it this way on my C5Z or LS2 GTO (big, heavy pig with small rotors running race pads).
Old 11-25-2011, 01:07 PM
Everett Ogilvie
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Scooter70
What do you top it off with?
I top off with the partial container. Brake fluid IS hygroscopic, meaning it absorbs moisture, but within a sealed container it can only absorb whatever moisture is in the container once you seal the cap back up.

The reason I don't worry about it is - my car has Tilton master cylinders for the brakes and the clutch and they are mounted right down by the pedals. There is a remote mounted fluid reservoir for the DOT4 fluid which feeds all 3 master cylinders as the fluid level moves down. Within this remote reservoir, there is air above the fluid and the cap is vented to atmosphere, so apparently my fluid is always absorbing moisture. Oh well, if the Tilton system is good enough for real race cars it is good enough for me (although some would probably say one needs to replace all the fluid in the system pretty regularly I suppose).

I will say I have never boiled the fluid yet.
Old 11-25-2011, 01:16 PM
steponc
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '14

Default Brake fluid

Originally Posted by AlohaC5
After years of using ATE Super Blue/Gold fluid, I'm going to Castrol SRF for the 2012 season.
Same here. Bought mine a few days ago.
A factor for me was avaiablity also.
Old 11-25-2011, 01:17 PM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Scooter70
What do you top it off with? Do you keep enough fluid in the bottle to bleed for the next few times or open a new $80 bottle and leave that on the shelf? Everyone always says that as soon as you open the bottle it's no good to save.

For me, it's easier (and cheaper) to just flush the whole system with ATE a few times a summer. I've never had an issue with boiling fluid doing it this way on my C5Z or LS2 GTO (big, heavy pig with small rotors running race pads).
Top off with the SRF from the open can if it's within a few months of when it was opened. This is ok if you have a bunch of DE in close proximity in the summer. I've also topped off with a fresh unopened can of Motul. But this is just a little in the reservoir; what matters is what's at the calipers.

Where SRF really shines (at least compared to the Motul I also use) is that it allows you to skip bleeding at the track/after day 1 of a 2 day event. I found this to be true even on a track that was hard on brakes. At VIR, easy on brakes, the motul still needed a bleed after day 1.

Do you like working on the car, even on hot days? How much is your time/sweat worth to you???
Old 11-25-2011, 09:35 PM
RaleighSS
Drifting

In regards to topping it off... Never used the stuff my self ... I purge system fully before each monthly session ... use about 1/2 can of ATE which is about 7 bucks a bleed and puts me at about 100 bucks a year in fluid. I have never had a fluid problem at track with the speeds / pads I use... I had only spoken to people who used SRF and recall they said they bleed the calipers before an event and add additional fluid as needed not sure of shelf open life.
Old 11-26-2011, 11:22 PM
Canam
Pro

I've always used super blue and never had a problem either but well, how safe do you want to be. I'l run the SRF for awhile and take it from there.
Old 11-26-2011, 11:26 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

You guys who run srf for a whole season, does it get dark? I know that doesn't mean it's bad, but I just was wondering.

I must admit I like fluid I can see thru to the bottom of the mc.

Old 11-27-2011, 02:03 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,919 Likes on 5,328 Posts

I use the Ford fluid and Wilwood 570. Flush before each event unless they are only a week apart and then I just bleed the calipers. In 19 years I only boiled brake fluid once when I ran with a very thin set of pads.

Bill
Old 11-29-2011, 08:57 AM
Gering
Tolero Apto Victum
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Randy@DRM
Why is it the best? Highest wet boiling point of anything else out there. Very close to the highest dry boiling point.

About 3-4 years ago, there was a huge shortage of SRF in the US. The phone calls from top teams in every form of Motorsports started calling us. Nascar, indy, ALMS, grand am, sprint cars, drag racers, motorcycles, karting, and etc. They all use this stuff by the case.

Why do we sell it at a damn good price? Because we can't sell other things if your car is piled up in the tires at the end of the straight

http://dougrippie.com/?p=430

Thanks
Randy

Thanks for the info.
Old 11-29-2011, 09:36 AM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Really expensive and we use it in the ST2 car because it came set up with it. Cannot really tell the difference from cheaper fluids used in my other cars.

Get notified of new replies

To Castrol SRF brake fluid

Quick Reply: Castrol SRF brake fluid