Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS3 survival mods

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2011, 08:40 AM
bsalie99
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Default LS3 survival mods

I have a 2002 Z06 with a LS3 swapped in. The car is mostly used for autox with some street driving. I dont do any open track events yet.
The car car came to me with the swap done, and they installed a big Vengance racing stage 3 LS3 cam. the car makes good power( 453 RWHP, 414 tq on a mustang dyno), But the cam is a bit much to live with( peaky hard to modulate on the autox course) I was going to swap it out for one with better manners and a bit more TQ under the curve. I was looking at the PRC LS3 new casting heads as a way to make up for the lost power and add a bit. Can any mods be done to help the oil drain back ( coatings, polishing returns etc) to help the LS3 live on hoosier A6 tires. I really dont want to dive into a Drysump system just for autox and I need to keep all my amenitites such as A/C( rules from the wife, and I am heat sensitive, so I need A/c or my race days end early( not running it on course, )
They fit the LS3 in the car using the LS6 batwing pan and front dress. the motor was a stock pull out from a camaro and they upgraded the cam, lifters, headbolts, valvesprings and pushrods, heads are stock

thanks
Old 11-16-2011, 08:57 AM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

From what I've read, the dry sump is the sure-fire solution. Understand auto-x is not as harsh with the turns not being sustained for so long. Maybe try an accusump? You're going down the right path changing the cam, go with one that has substantially less than 0.600" lift (w/1.6 rr) and be sure to put in good valve springs (PAC). I would over fill the dipstick by 1/4-1/2 qt also even thought the C6 doesn't say so, the C5 does, and that's your oil pan.
Old 11-16-2011, 09:44 AM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,397 Likes on 749 Posts

I've never known any LS engine to have oiling problems during an autocross. I do run a half-quart to full quart over though.

HTH, and have a good one,
Mike
Old 11-16-2011, 11:59 AM
alextz
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I know of LS6 cars that have blowed up doing a 300ft skidpad
Old 11-16-2011, 03:36 PM
J.R.
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

You can review some of the previous postings by trackboss under dry sump and LS3 engine questions.

I have had good luck with my previous C5/LS3 with:
champhering head oil return passages
drilling 1/8 in holes in lifter trays
using smith bros. or trend restricted opening push rods
3 qt. accusump

Note: Correct dry sump is the ultimate solution

Get notified of new replies

To LS3 survival mods

Quick Reply: LS3 survival mods