Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HSR Event at Daytona

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2011, 08:22 PM
Locke
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Default HSR Event at Daytona

I hoped to see several Vettes at the Historic Sportscar Racing Event at Daytona Speedway last weekend. Alas, it was a pleasure to finally meet Jim Glass and see his C2 run but would have loved to see more.
If you liked Mustangs and Porsches, it was a great day.
Here's one of Jim:

As you look at the other pictures, you'll notice I was visiting two of my retired SE Toyota friends running their Toyota World Sportscars so don't be too disapointed that most of the pictures are of Fred and Ray.
It was kinda neat to be standing there and have EFR ride up on his bicycle and start talking with my friends. I tried to be cool and not grin like a grade schooler but

Here's the entire album in Photobucket:
http://s606.photobucket.com/albums/t...intage%20Race/

Locke McCormick
North Florida Corvette Assn., NCCC
Buccaneer Region, SCCA
Jacksonville, FL

Last edited by Locke; 11-15-2011 at 07:26 AM. Reason: Link to photobucket picture didn't work as planned
Old 11-14-2011, 09:17 PM
gbvette62
Race Director

Received 2,024 Likes on 1,313 Posts

Thanks for posting the pic of Jim. I wanted to be there with him last weekend, but I had a State audit of my business scheduled, that I couldn't get out of (it had already been postponed a couple times).

He called me this morning, on his way back to NY. It was his first trip to Daytona, but I don't think it will be his last! It sounds like he had a ball. He told me they clocked him at 162 mph on the straight early in the weekend, but he figured he went quicker by Sunday, because he knocked another couple seconds off his lap times by then. The only problem he had was the buffeting of his head/helmet, caused by the cut down windshield. If he goes back, he said he'd like to put a stock, full size windshield frame on the car.

Jim is supposed to send me a couple in car videos from the weekend. I'll try to post them, when I get them.

Here's a pic of Jim's 65, I took at NJ Motorsports Park, about 3 years ago.

Old 11-15-2011, 08:33 AM
Locke
Racer

Default HSR Daytona

Another event Jim might consider is coming to the Central Florida Region's Thanksgiving Regional on the Long Course at Sebring. CFR has several Vette drivers who run in the Vintage Class, including the car I built being run by Marge LaPoja.
Here's the registration link:
http://cfrscca.org/?page_id=488

If you guys come south for another HSR event and would like another crew member, I'm volunteering!
I crewed SCCA and IMSA for a couple of Vettes in the middle 70s till I went off to Air Force Basic Training.

Locke McCormick
North Florida Corvette Assn. NCCC
Buccaneer Region, SCCA
Jacksonville, FL
Old 11-15-2011, 09:51 AM
gbvette62
Race Director

Originally Posted by Locke
Another event Jim might consider is coming to the Central Florida Region's Thanksgiving Regional on the Long Course at Sebring.
I think if he goes anywhere Thanksgiving weekend, it will be the Turkey Bowl vintage race at Summit Point WV, put on by The Vintage Racers Group (VRG). Summit's a little bit closer (6 hours for him, 3 for me, vs 18-20 hours to Sebring), and the VRG puts on some real fun, racer friendly events. They offer plenty of track time and an easy going, laid back, race weekend.

I've never been to Sebring, but I plan on getting there someday. The driver I crewed for in the 80's, had a house on Marathon, and in the winter would take the car down to run SCCA events at Sebring and Moroso. I could never get out of work in the winter, to go down with him, so the only time I ever got to Florida for races, was when we ran the Trans-Am's at St. Pete and Tamiami Park, Miami.

If you guys come south for another HSR event and would like another crew member, I'm volunteering!
Thanks for the offer, I'll make a note of it, and pass it along to Jim too. Actually, you can email him at jimglasscorvette@gmail.com, or reach him through his web site: www.jimglasscorvette.com.

If you go to the NCRS show at Old Town in Kissimmee (January 26-29), Jim and I will both be there. I'll be vending and he'll be there to shop and hang out, though we may load up Saturday night and go to Daytona, to catch the end of the 24 Hour on Sunday!

PM me and we can get together there, for a couple beers and a little "bench racing"

Last edited by gbvette62; 11-15-2011 at 09:53 AM.
Old 11-15-2011, 11:25 AM
Locke
Racer

Whoops! CFR isn't running the Vintage Group in November but will be including them again in February.

Summit is a whole lot closer than Sebring (maybe not as warm) and it will be funner for you guys running a dedicated Vintage event vs. a Vintage Group at a SCCA Regional.

Who did you crew for in the 80's?
I crewed for Lamar Mann and Dick Boystan out of Daytona from 1973 to 1978. After that I worked grid up at Roebling till the twins were born.
We ran Lamar's car with the ALCAN group at Taimami in Miami. We won but they folded camp at the end of the race like a band of Gipsies and the prize money never arrived.

Last weekend was my first time at an HSR event. I've already bought my ticket to the 24 Hours. We (the Club) just got a message a couple of days ago that there will be a Corvette Corral this year. I guess they wouldn't like mine on a trailer as it's a work in progress and I hope to have the suspension back on by then.

Locke
Old 11-15-2011, 04:23 PM
gbvette62
Race Director

I crewed for an independent driver, Jerry Kuhn from NJ.

Jerry started out in 79, racing a Corvette in SCCA Solo II, and moved up to road racing with a GT-1 Corvette in 82. For 84, we built a tube frame Camaro, and ran some SCCA Club races with it, before moving up to Trans-Am in 85. We ran Trans-Am, and the occasional IMSA GTO race, from 85-89. He also drove in a couple IMSA Firehawk races, and even co-drove a Pontiac Fiero, with John Oates (of Hall & Oates), in the "Longest Day of Nelson" Nelson Ledges showroom stock race. Jerry had to give up racing in 1990, when he was seriously injured in a highway accident.

We actually had 2 different Camaros. The first was a Dave Watson chassis, that we raced with both a Camaro and Firebird body on it. After the factory backed wide-body ProtoFab Camaros were introduced, we re-bodied it with a Kevlar ProtoFab Camaro body. Later, we built our own frame, loosely based on the ProtoFab chassis, with a little bit of help from Chevrolet and ProtoFab. The first Camaro ran a 310 V8, while the second one had a 4.3 V6 in it.

Below is a pic of the second Camaro, at an IMSA GTO race, at Summit Point in 88.

Glenn

Get notified of new replies

To HSR Event at Daytona

Quick Reply: HSR Event at Daytona