Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ACR @ the ring

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2011, 10:25 AM
GS023
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default ACR @ the ring

Looks like the ZR1's gonna have to pick it up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4-e3uSYPpg

Old 11-12-2011, 12:57 PM
mikeCsix
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 178 Likes on 160 Posts

Sure looked like a handful...
Old 11-12-2011, 02:04 PM
BuckeyeZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 48 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by mikeCsix
Sure looked like a handful...
You have to be a real man to drive a Viper.
Old 11-12-2011, 06:59 PM
rasrboy
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

That was a handful!

He did one major thing wrong though, he was not wearing a HANS device. Never leave home with out it, at those speeds anything can happen.
Old 11-12-2011, 10:50 PM
Corvee
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by GS023
Looks like the ZR1's gonna have to pick it up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4-e3uSYPpg

Is this the ACR-X? If so it is not street legal. Put a better aero package including a wing on the ZR1 and Z06 and send them back!

Last edited by Corvee; 11-13-2011 at 07:54 AM. Reason: Additional comments
Old 11-13-2011, 01:22 AM
96solo
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jeez, what a handful! I love my Corvette, thank you. What sawing of the wheel was necessary, and a couple 1/2 turn correction for torque steer! Wow! Yes, on the Hans device!
Old 11-13-2011, 10:13 AM
Z06trackman
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Awesome video. I would not be so quick to call the Viper ACR a "handfull". I watched this, then the 7:19 yellow ZR1 lap, then the ACR again. The Corvette driver had at least 4 very big lifts on corner exit, including at 177mph or so under The Bridge. Jeez!!!!! The Viper driver never lifted on a corner exit followed by a straignt. Bushing compliance, tire sidewall stiffness and especially driver style make a big difference on how much wheel movement is used. I have driven with many drivers who produce a lot of wheel movement that is not felt in the car. Other drivers are more "economical" with the steering and go as fast. Also, all the comparos between the ACR and the Vette I have read claim the ACR is world's more stable on the racetrack. It is afterall set up solely for the track whereas the ZR1 is "also designed to be comfortable on the street" (a quote from the ZR1 Nurburgring video).
Old 11-13-2011, 11:02 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Fastest production car not in production. I guess the new Viper will be coming before you know it.
Old 11-13-2011, 11:14 AM
Solofast
Melting Slicks

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts

If you put equal tires on the Vette it would be a whole nother story...
Old 11-13-2011, 04:50 PM
mcar00
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Solofast
If you put equal tires on the Vette it would be a whole nother story...
I thought the ACR and the ZR1 both had Michelin Pilot Sport Cups?
Old 11-13-2011, 07:23 PM
Rednels
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Corvee
Is this the ACR-X? If so it is not street legal. Put a better aero package including a wing on the ZR1 and Z06 and send them back!
No, its the regular ACR. The ACRx would have been quite a bit faster with its factory Michelin Slicks.

As with any 600+ hp car, the Viper can be a handful, but with its aero, the ACR is amazingly well planted. Its pretty cool that you can buy a car from the factory and it be that fast.

It would be nice if GM would make a track version of the vette, I bet that would sell pretty well also.
Old 11-13-2011, 08:11 PM
mcar00
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Rednels
No, its the regular ACR. The ACRx would have been quite a bit faster with its factory Michelin Slicks.
I think the ACR-X did the ring in 7.03.XX or something like that.

The thing I can appreciate about manufacturing the ACR is this. I picture a bunch of suits sitting around a conference table and someone says,"With the suspension we're going to create a somewhat harsh riding car and with the aero package we're going to reduce gas mileage, acceleration and top speed and with the limited number of cars we will sell there is hardly a business case to support this vehicle. The only thing it will be good for is going around a road course quickly."

Of course then someone else chimes in and says,"OK, let's build it".
Old 11-13-2011, 10:45 PM
BuckeyeZ06
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by mcar00

The thing I can appreciate about manufacturing the ACR is this. I picture a bunch of suits sitting around a conference table and someone says,"With the suspension we're going to create a somewhat harsh riding car and with the aero package we're going to reduce gas mileage, acceleration and top speed and with the limited number of cars we will sell there is hardly a business case to support this vehicle. The only thing it will be good for is going around a road course quickly."

I've met the "decision makers" with the Viper, and how you describe it isn't too far off how it actually happened.

Even the record-setting effort was done on the proverbial paper napkin, and the person who started it all wasn't even a Dodge employee (Ben Keating co-owns Tomball Dodge in Texas).

The SRT group is a group a hard-core "car guys." Look I started my car life as a GM guy, and never likes Mopars. But these guys are really cool. You'd all like them, trust me.
Old 11-14-2011, 08:34 AM
Z06_BluByU
Race Director

Received 39 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by BuckeyeZ06
The SRT group is a group a hard-core "car guys." Look I started my car life as a GM guy, and never likes Mopars. But these guys are really cool. You'd all like them, trust me.
Same thing happened to me...

The SRT guys are tops! I've really liked many things Ralph has done.. They are a very passionate and enthusiastic group of car guys!
Old 11-14-2011, 09:48 AM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If it is an American car that is all that matters!!
Old 11-14-2011, 10:32 AM
heavychevy
Safety Car

Received 179 Likes on 112 Posts

Corvette needs someone like Ralph at the helm. That would be awesome. Ralph is the man!
Old 11-14-2011, 12:15 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by mcar00

If only those guys worked at GM.

Get notified of new replies

To ACR @ the ring

Old 11-14-2011, 05:16 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 95jersey
If it is an American car that is all that matters!!
nuff said
Old 11-14-2011, 07:56 PM
Corvee
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Rednels

As with any 600+ hp car, the Viper can be a handful, but with its aero, the ACR is amazingly well planted. Its pretty cool that you can buy a car from the factory and it be that fast.

It would be nice if GM would make a track version of the vette, I bet that would sell pretty well also.
Reason I asked the car in the video was an ACR-X, it had a "radio delete" panel and wondered if it may have the X's 640 HP and suspension. At any rate, the ACR is a great car and I enjoy running with the guys that bring them to the local tracks.

With regard to a production-based "track-ready" C6 - what happened to the Z06X and why didn't GM have a go at the ring with it?
Old 11-14-2011, 09:34 PM
BuckeyeZ06
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Corvee
Reason I asked the car in the video was an ACR-X, it had a "radio delete" panel and wondered if it may have the X's 640 HP and suspension. At any rate, the ACR is a great car and I enjoy running with the guys that bring them to the local tracks.

With regard to a production-based "track-ready" C6 - what happened to the Z06X and why didn't GM have a go at the ring with it?
The ACR has a "hard core" option that deletes the radio and a few other items to reduce the weight. The ACRX is another version all together.

Quick Reply: ACR @ the ring