Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

At what mileage am I worried? (LS swap for DE car)

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2011, 02:31 PM
Steve85
Melting Slicks

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts
Cruise-In V Veteran

Default At what mileage am I worried? (LS swap for DE car)

Done with the old, ready to swap in a stock LS1 from an early C5.

Looking at the options, everything from 30K - 150K+ miles are available. 50-60K miles run in the $3 - 3.5K range and drop to about $2K in the 110K mile range. (searching ebay and car-part for pricing, let me know if you have something cheaper )

The car will see a few drives during the week and a few track days + autox a year.

At what mileage am I pushing my luck with a few track days a year + maybe 5K casual miles? We're talkin street tires, HPDE 1 to 2 in a C4. Assume an average care level - armor all every 3K and oil every 7K.
Old 11-10-2011, 02:42 PM
Zenak
Terminal Vette Addict
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 36 Likes on 12 Posts

Im not sure what you are asking? You want to put an LS! into your C4 and you want to know how many miles is ok on the engine you are buying? Honestly an LS! wqill run forever that was just streeted without track days.

If you are asking about how many street miles is ok to put on your HPDE car, who cares. Street miles on a well maintained LS1 mean nothing. one weekend on a nasty track put more stress and strain on an engine than a year worth of light weekend street use.

If you are worried about longevity... bigger radiator and external oil cooler. Lots of frequent oil changes and buy the good stuff. Keep the motor CLEAN inside. Dont drag the block.

My 2 cents.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/auto...e-learned.html
Old 11-10-2011, 03:03 PM
Steve85
Melting Slicks

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts
Cruise-In V Veteran

Originally Posted by Zenak
Im not sure what you are asking? You want to put an LS! into your C4 and you want to know how many miles is ok on the engine you are buying? Honestly an LS! wqill run forever that was just streeted without track days.
Sorry for the confusion...I had words in my head that didn't make it into the question.

This one, wanting to know if there is an upper limit to the mileage I should be looking at when buying an LS1 to be used for a few track days a year.

Within reason of course, no sense getting something with 200K if I can swing something with under 100K. I just don't know if starting with an engine with 100K street miles would be a bad move. Yes, starting with 30-50K would be better, but if not necessary I will put the $1K difference between a 50K mile motor and 100K motor into safety/seat time.

Sounds like I should be OK, assuming I don't get something that's been thrashed for 100K and take care of it.

I do currently run a DeWitts radiator and oil cooler so should be good there.
Old 11-10-2011, 04:32 PM
jaa1992
Le Mans Master

Location: Life is just one big track event. Everything before and after is prep and warm-up and cool-down laps GA
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '12

Any used engine should be looked at as a ticking time bomb because you don't have a clue on prevous maintenance.

Get something you feel comfortable with. If it was me I'd then pull the valve covers and oil pan and check it out. Might even be tempted to pull the heads and check the bores, but a compression and leakdown test might give enough info.

Get notified of new replies

To At what mileage am I worried? (LS swap for DE car)

Quick Reply: At what mileage am I worried? (LS swap for DE car)