Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tire width increase vs lap times: General opinions?

Old 11-09-2011, 04:53 PM
Tech Contributor

Location: I tend to be leery of any guy who doesn't own a chainsaw or a handgun.
Received 766 Likes on 548 Posts

Default Tire width increase vs lap times: General opinions?

Just looking for general opinions from the experiences here. What laptime improvements have you seen when increasing the tire widths on your car? Assuming a same/reasonably similar compound, if possible, to reduce the variables for this discussion. Assuming a width increase of 10 percent (or whatever percent you changed), what was the (percentage) laptime reduction? I understand there are variables such as how much of the track is corners versus straight, or if your tire width increase was also contributing to the overall suspension width (outside sidewall to outside sidwall, so to speak), etc, etc.
I'm just trying to get a better handle on the "ROI" when I get some new tires over the winter.

Thanks for any constructive information.
Old 11-09-2011, 05:05 PM
Jason
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

It depends.
Old 11-09-2011, 05:07 PM
RacePro Engineering
Tech Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Hi Mike,

As you know, it is generally agreed that wider is better. We would even go so far as to assert that, with the torque and weight of a Corvette, it would be difficult to fit tires that are "too wide".

That said, the biggest gains in lap time will be achieved by refining BALANCE of the racer, and some of this refinement might be found in fitting wider tires at one end, or the other, or BOTH ends. (The rear might benefit from the additional power-on traction, while the front may gain something from the wider track to which you allude.)

Of course, the tricky part is that the converse is also true: One can screw up the fine balance of a car that uses 9½" wheels on all four corners by changing to 11" wheels in the rear. The result will be HIGHER lap times.

Our tire testing typically involves trying different compounds of tires, against different suspension settings, and has never included back-to-back comparison of solely tire widths. So this is only an educated guess:
IF the camber and toe settings "like" the wider tire, and IF the F-to-R balance of the car is already very good, then an additional 1" in tread on each corner could be good for 1 to 2 seconds on most tracks. Of course, like everything else, the driver would need to fully utilize that additional grip.

(I probably should have simply agreed with Jason, because he is so right!)

Ed LoPresti

Last edited by RacePro Engineering; 11-09-2011 at 05:53 PM. Reason: Additional
Old 11-09-2011, 05:16 PM
2K3Z06
Burning Brakes

Location: KADS- If it has wings or an engine, I can break it. Dallas TX
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Look for an article in Grassroots Motorsports, a few months back. They did this tire test, which they do every year. To get the straight dope on the newest tires.

One of the questions they tested was, are wider tires automactically faster due to increased grip? yes, to a certain point. and then times fell off, if you get crazy wide.

Very good article
Old 11-09-2011, 05:20 PM
2K3Z06
Burning Brakes

Location: KADS- If it has wings or an engine, I can break it. Dallas TX
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ed LoPresti, do you guys make parts for high performance/racing aircraft? I'm a new pilot, and I have seen that name for high performance aircraft parts.
Old 11-09-2011, 05:30 PM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Jason's right...what's end goal? time attack, couple of suicide laps and then in? average speed over a 15 lap sprint race? average speed over a 2 hr enduro?

In my personal testing there is no real outright speed difference between a 10.3" tread tire, 10.8", and a 11.4" (A6 275-295-315). You can even throw the really wide 255 A6 in there for at least some tracks in terms of equal speed. Lots of variables though (proper wheel width, style of track, track surface, etc).

My opinion is that you get to a point based on your car's weight/wheel width/power, where you have "enough tire". Anything beyond that is just dragging around extra weight.

I can tell you this, how the tire fits on the rim, how the sidewall works, tire height, sidewall height, etc. may be MORE important than just measuring the tread width.
Old 11-09-2011, 05:50 PM
RacePro Engineering
Tech Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 2K3Z06
Ed LoPresti, do you guys make parts for high performance/racing aircraft? I'm a new pilot, and I have seen that name for high performance aircraft parts.
Hi Robert,

Although I am certain we have common connections back to "the old country", the only similarity between the aircraft LoPrestis and us is our common interest in aerodynamics. (Get this - they run their wings UP-SIDE-DOWN!)

Actually, I wish we were in that industry -- we might be MAKING money . . . . .

Ed
Old 11-09-2011, 08:43 PM
Tech Contributor

Location: I tend to be leery of any guy who doesn't own a chainsaw or a handgun.

Originally Posted by RacePro Engineering
Hi Mike,

As you know, it is generally agreed that wider is better. We would even go so far as to assert that, with the torque and weight of a Corvette, it would be difficult to fit tires that are "too wide".

That said, the biggest gains in lap time will be achieved by refining BALANCE of the racer, and some of this refinement might be found in fitting wider tires at one end, or the other, or BOTH ends. (The rear might benefit from the additional power-on traction, while the front may gain something from the wider track to which you allude.)

Of course, the tricky part is that the converse is also true: One can screw up the fine balance of a car that uses 9½" wheels on all four corners by changing to 11" wheels in the rear. The result will be HIGHER lap times.

Our tire testing typically involves trying different compounds of tires, against different suspension settings, and has never included back-to-back comparison of solely tire widths. So this is only an educated guess:
IF the camber and toe settings "like" the wider tire, and IF the F-to-R balance of the car is already very good, then an additional 1" in tread on each corner could be good for 1 to 2 seconds on most tracks. Of course, like everything else, the driver would need to fully utilize that additional grip.

(I probably should have simply agreed with Jason, because he is so right!)

Ed LoPresti
Hi Ed,

I appreciate your intelligent and mature response (), versus the smartass post before yours. I'm a design engineer (a couple decades at one of the big 3) and I enjoy discussing the technical details of the parts I use.
As a general rule we all try to run some decent tires (width and compound), but what's the general/average curve of width vs grip? For example, I think we all agree that the C6 Z06 is a great car (and it has a lot of tire). How much of the car's cornering performance is the tire versus the other items (weight, ride height, etc) that the base C6 and Z51 models don't have? Or, take this same Z06 and put similar brand/compound tires on it, but with 10% less tread width (20-30 mm skinnier), what happens to the skidpad results? In a perfect world the answer would be simple (ie: 10% slower around the pad), but what's the actual number? Is it 8%, or 12%, or ???. I know there's no definitive all-encompassing answer, but I'm fine with educated guestimates with reasons to support that answer.

Again, I appreciate your sincere reply.
Old 11-09-2011, 09:17 PM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by drivinhard
In my personal testing there is no real outright speed difference between a 10.3" tread tire, 10.8", and a 11.4" (A6 275-295-315). You can even throw the really wide 255 A6 in there for at least some tracks in terms of equal speed. Lots of variables though (proper wheel width, style of track, track surface, etc).

My opinion is that you get to a point based on your car's weight/wheel width/power, where you have "enough tire". Anything beyond that is just dragging around extra weight.

I can tell you this, how the tire fits on the rim, how the sidewall works, tire height, sidewall height, etc. may be MORE important than just measuring the tread width.
Most accurate statement that's ever been made on the internet.
Old 11-09-2011, 09:33 PM
travisnd
Safety Car

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 69427
, versus the smartass post before yours.
How is it a smartass post? He's right... most of us in TTA have been getting faster and faster going down in tire size. Less rotational weight, lower overall diameter creating a better effective gear ratio, less friction drag/rolling resistance etc.
Old 11-09-2011, 09:42 PM
Solofast
Melting Slicks

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by drivinhard
Jason's right...what's end goal? time attack, couple of suicide laps and then in? average speed over a 15 lap sprint race? average speed over a 2 hr enduro?

All of this is absolutey true. Once you have "enough" tire you don't get much more grip by just going wider, at least that is my experience too. As Ed noted balance counts too, and changing from one tire size at one end more or less than another can mess things up and require retuning.

While a wider tire might not give a faster best lap time, sometimes some additional width helps the tire run cooler and overheat less. This can be a double edge sword, sometimes better after 20 minutes of track time, but in an autocross the wider tire won't warm up as fast and is harder to get hot, so sometimes you are throwing away more than just the first run because you aren't getting the tires up to temp.
Old 11-09-2011, 09:58 PM
geerookie
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Another thing to consider is that a wider tire does not inherently give you a larger contact patch. (Sometimes quite the opposite)
Usually a taller tire will give you a larger contact patch which will improve lateral grip and therefore increase cornering speeds. It can also help exit speeds/out of corner grip. This assumes proper gearing ratios for the tire height.
Depending on the track this may make a larger difference in lap times.
As stated by others, generally a wider tire will help manage heat so if you are only doing autocross, TT or Time Attack then a just wide enough (narrow) tire will be the faster setup.
Old 11-09-2011, 09:58 PM
Jason
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

Hi Ed,

I appreciate your intelligent and mature response (), versus the smartass post before yours.
Everybody here has given you accurate answers. Now you change the question. Do you want to talk about lap times or skid pad numbers? 2 very different things.
Old 11-09-2011, 10:01 PM
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by travisnd
How is it a smartass post? He's right... most of us in TTA have been getting faster and faster going down in tire size. Less rotational weight, lower overall diameter creating a better effective gear ratio, less friction drag/rolling resistance etc.
Simple. There was absolutely no thought or information contained in that response.
Old 11-09-2011, 10:06 PM
ScaryFast
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Keep in mind that in a competition class (TTA in this case) there is also a penalty for a wider tire. So yes, you're getting faster with the 255 width, because that allows you to do other things to the car which help more than the narrow tire hurts.

As with anything, there is no easy curve that shows tire vs lap time. Sooo much depends on set-up to go with the tire, and so much depends on whether you are using the tire. I tend to have similar lap times when I run 275 sq versus 315 square. Does that mean there is no difference? Of course not. It could be that I'm not taking advantage of the wider tire as a driver, it could mean that my 315's were older than the 275's, it could simply mean that the track and temperature were faster one day over the next.

My best guess, however, is that while the car probably had more "ultimate grip" in steady state, the increased lag in steering and overall lower response of the car in transition may have hurt as much as ultimate grip was helped.

And yes, jason is a smartass (and occasionally even funny), but the man speaks the truth. It depends.
Old 11-09-2011, 10:07 PM
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by Jason
Everybody here has given you accurate answers. Now you change the question. Uh, no I haven't. Do you want to talk about lap times or skid pad numbers? 2 very different things.
I'm aware of that. However, the great majority of us do not have access to a skidpad, so I opened up the discussion to include laptimes (where I added the "disclaimer" that the straight/curve ratio of the track would dilute the accuracy of the tire width contribution).
Old 11-09-2011, 10:11 PM
ScaryFast
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by geerookie
Another thing to consider is that a wider tire does not inherently give you a larger contact patch. (Sometimes quite the opposite)
Assuming the same overall diameter, contact patch is a function of air pressure and tire width has no effect. A wider tire has the same contact patch in square inches, but the CP itself is wider (and of course therefore thinner along the longitudinal axis), and thus more effective in lateral loading, aka "grip".

Get notified of new replies

To Tire width increase vs lap times: General opinions?

Old 11-09-2011, 10:17 PM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by ScaryFast
I tend to have similar lap times when I run 275 sq versus 315 square. Does that mean there is no difference? Of course not. My best guess, however, is that while the car probably had more "ultimate grip" in steady state, the increased lag in steering and overall lower response of the car in transition may have hurt as much as ultimate grip was helped.
When I tested a 315 T1 set up vs 275s (both scrub A6s) at Roebling last year (which is a high speed skid pad) I felt the car had really good stick mid corner loaded, but just sucked in the transient stuff. Felt terrible. A lot of it I think was the 315 cram'd on a 10" wheel, a lot of it was the CCW wheels were heavier than the OEM Speedlines, but the 315's are much heavier to. I weighed them all in at something like 10 lbs more per corner. Heck if you just threw 40 lbs in the car by itself it would be 4 tenth slower. This makes a huge difference in unsprung weight and also the driveline is having to rotate all that stuff, this matters on a track like Road Atlanta where your WOT on time is approaching 70% of the lap.

Autocross (or even a tight road course) is a totally different animal.

Jason's answer was probably the most accurate, he just didn't elaborate.
Old 11-09-2011, 10:29 PM
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by ScaryFast
Keep in mind that in a competition class (TTA in this case) there is also a penalty for a wider tire. So yes, you're getting faster with the 255 width, because that allows you to do other things to the car which help more than the narrow tire hurts. I'm inferring from this that someone in the sanctioning organization has come up with a "formula" equating tire width changes to weight/hp/aero/etc changes in order to level out the competition or laptimes. I posed a question similar to that (tire width changes versus weight changes) a few months ago, but didn't get much feedback on that topic. My original question was an attempt to find out what sort of "formula" or rule of thumb fellow drivers use to get an idea of what cornering/laptime change is commonly seen with increases or decreases in tire width.

As with anything, there is no easy curve that shows tire vs lap time. Sooo much depens on set-up to go with the tire, and so much depends on whether you are using the tire. I tend to have similar lap times when I run 275 sq versus 315 square. Does that mean there is no difference? Of course not. It could be that I'm not taking advantage of the wider tire as a driver, it could mean that my 315's were older than the 275's, it could simply mean that the track and temperature were faster one day over the next.

My best guess, however, is that while the car probably had more "ultimate grip" in steady state, but the increased lag in steering and overall lower response of the car in transition may have hurt as much as ultimate grip was helped.

And yes, jason is a smartass (and occasionally even funny), but the man speaks the truth. It depends.
I appreciate your serious contribution to this discussion.
Old 11-09-2011, 10:46 PM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

[COLOR="Blue"]I'm inferring from this that someone in the sanctioning organization has come up with a "formula" equating tire width changes to weight/hp/aero/etc changes in order to level out the competition or laptimes.
They try but a big problem is you can't just go by what's on the sidewall. All "275" tires are not the same width, and they vary in actual size wildly. On a 10.5" rim, a Hoosiers 255 is slight wider than their 275. Their 295 should be 20mm wider but it's only about 8-10mm wider, etc

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tire width increase vs lap times: General opinions?