Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best place to buy a Tech 2?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2011, 08:51 AM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Best place to buy a Tech 2?

I think it is time for a tech 2 in the toolbox. Where can I find one and how do I know it is OK? Also is it possible to service one and who does it?

The C5 Mafia needs one....
Old 11-09-2011, 09:29 AM
JDIllon
Melting Slicks

Received 297 Likes on 78 Posts

I have seen several on E-bay in the past but you need to know exactly what model and stuff to go with it for your use. JD
Old 11-09-2011, 09:48 AM
Jason
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

Old 11-09-2011, 10:14 AM
BERETTA
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 113 Likes on 78 Posts

I have had mine for over 10 years, I do have to send it in more often than I would like, but it is used everyday by 4 different techs. I always send mine into Bosch/Vetronics fo repairs. You want need the Candi module unless you want to scan C6's if so its about another $500.00 and we have had trouble with our Candi module 2 or 3 times . You might contact them and see if they have any refurbished units. 1-800-321-4889. We also use a Mastertech Scan tool which is the old Tech 1. I recently had to replace it with a refurbished one because it was 14 years old. I update our Tech 2 every fall for software updates, we also program so that requires a subscription every year. It is a valuable tool to have on a GM vehicle. Here is a link http://www.boschdiagnostics.com/test...ges/Tech2.aspx
As mentioned above you may be able to find a used one but be aware if it has problems or old software you could spend $1-$2 k on it.
Here is another link to a good price-but check what comes with it because it is probably stripped down http://www.gmdesolutions.com/equipme...00&s=804&p=280
Old 11-09-2011, 10:42 AM
BERETTA
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Also I forgot to mention, I received some info from AC Delco yesterday about a new PC based application called Tech2Win. You can install this on your lap top, it is not available yet but will be released soon. It will be 20-70% faster than the Tech 2 scanner but will require an MDI (multiple diagnostic interface), this may not be cost effective in your case because the MDI is $995.00, I am not sure about the price on the software but I have heard around $1,400.00. Plus a monthly subscription is required. I can let you know later on this if you don't end up with a standard Tech 2.
Old 11-09-2011, 11:26 AM
SoDiezl350
Burning Brakes

From what I've read make sure you don't buy the one from Hong Kong/China. Supposedly they are really flaky and obviously not real Bosch units.
Old 11-09-2011, 04:05 PM
travisnd
Safety Car

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Hang our around Dennis or if you're around VIR find Norbert Watts. Was trying to help Oyishdog diagnose his car when it cut off at VIR and wouldn't re-start. Tried everything I could think of and found Norbert. He says, "Let me go get my Tech II"... "Of course you would have one of those" was my response

Ended up not helping because the car had broken the timing chain, but died so quickly Ryan thought it had just cut off. No codes were present so the Tech II didn't pick anything up.
Old 11-09-2011, 09:18 PM
sspeed30043
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

check out the NAPA tool catalog, or make a friend at a dealership and see what kind of deal they can get for you.

Do you really need a tech2? you can find some pretty good lap top
based scan tool programs now, if you need to program PCM's there is software for that also.

Last edited by sspeed30043; 11-09-2011 at 09:25 PM.
Old 11-10-2011, 01:04 PM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by BERETTA
I have had mine for over 10 years, I do have to send it in more often than I would like, but it is used everyday by 4 different techs. I always send mine into Bosch/Vetronics fo repairs. You want need the Candi module unless you want to scan C6's if so its about another $500.00 and we have had trouble with our Candi module 2 or 3 times . You might contact them and see if they have any refurbished units. 1-800-321-4889. We also use a Mastertech Scan tool which is the old Tech 1. I recently had to replace it with a refurbished one because it was 14 years old. I update our Tech 2 every fall for software updates, we also program so that requires a subscription every year. It is a valuable tool to have on a GM vehicle. Here is a link http://www.boschdiagnostics.com/test...ges/Tech2.aspx
As mentioned above you may be able to find a used one but be aware if it has problems or old software you could spend $1-$2 k on it.
Here is another link to a good price-but check what comes with it because it is probably stripped down http://www.gmdesolutions.com/equipme...00&s=804&p=280
You provide great detail as well as build awesome cars...

To the last poster - Yes a Tech II does things (like ABS) no scan tool or edit software can do.

When GM shut down a bunch of dealers I missed some good deals but like Dennis mentions you need constant updates to make it work all the time.
Old 11-10-2011, 01:43 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,964 Likes on 5,350 Posts

Originally Posted by varkwso

To the last poster - Yes a Tech II does things (like ABS) no scan tool or edit software can do.

When GM shut down a bunch of dealers I missed some good deals but like Dennis mentions you need constant updates to make it work all the time.
Have you checked the AutoEnginuity GM package (OBDII Plus GM Enhanced Package)? It covers all of the on board systems and has some command capabilities as well. For a little less than $500 plus the cost of a laptop it may be what you need.

Bill
Old 11-10-2011, 02:47 PM
BERETTA
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by varkwso

Thanks Jeff

To clarify a little bit, whatever software you would have in a particular Tech 2 just say for instance a version through 2009 just for an example. That software would be good from now on up until that model year. It is the programming that we have to renew every year in order to be able to reflash and or program GM computers which include-PCM, BCM, door modules, ABS, air bags, antitheft etc.
So in your case you probably want have a need for the online programming (called TIS 2 Web)
In addition the only programming that we can do with the Tech 2 are strictly programs and flash updates released by GM -so really not any use in a track car. In other words they are factory programs and updates to factory programs to solve driveability issues and or false codes etc. etc.
As mentioned earlier when you get into the C6's the Candi Module (controller area network diagnostics) is required for the Tech 2
Old 11-10-2011, 02:53 PM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by BERETTA
Thanks Jeff

To clarify a little bit, whatever software you would have in a particular Tech 2 just say for instance a version through 2009 just for an example. That software would be good from now on up until that model year. It is the programming that we have to renew every year in order to be able to reflash and or program GM computers which include-PCM, BCM, door modules, ABS, air bags, antitheft etc.
So in your case you probably want have a need for the online programming (called TIS 2 Web)
In addition the only programming that we can do with the Tech 2 are strictly programs and flash updates released by GM -so really not any use in a track car. In other words they are factory programs and updates to factory programs to solve driveability issues and or false codes etc. etc.
As mentioned earlier when you get into the C6's the Candi Module (controller area network diagnostics) is required for the Tech 2

We don't care about no stinking C6s....yet...

It is the factory bugs I am planning it for...
Old 11-10-2011, 08:29 PM
dvandentop
Race Director

Received 583 Likes on 242 Posts

beware of the ebay units i have read as if you have to send them in it gets spendy
Old 11-10-2011, 08:31 PM
SoDiezl350
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
Have you checked the AutoEnginuity GM package (OBDII Plus GM Enhanced Package)? It covers all of the on board systems and has some command capabilities as well. For a little less than $500 plus the cost of a laptop it may be what you need.

Bill
Do you know if I can do things such as bleed the ABS pump through this software? Thanks!

Get notified of new replies

To Best place to buy a Tech 2?

Quick Reply: Best place to buy a Tech 2?