Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

first track day in the vette

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2011, 09:02 PM
MX621
Burning Brakes

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

Default first track day in the vette

finally got around to taking the z to the track. this past tues i went to thunderbolt @ njmp.. had a blast, got better every time out. did 6 of the 8 20 min sessions. ment some really cool people. deff have a steep learning curve ahead of me.. made plenty of mistakes . its been over 3 years since my last trackday, felt good to be back on a track. instructors and track rats please comment on my driving, flame suit on!! forgive me i slipped a F bomb in the vid, i was a lil excited.. the guy riding with me is not an instructor, he has a ton of laps around thunderbolt on bikes, was just along for the ride and some pointers. my best lap time was a 1:42.0, there was a gt3rs running mid 1:39's..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_JDUZM9vi4

video of me chasing the gt3rs.edit: my fastest lap was a 1:40.3 following the gt3
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCPWE...el_video_title

Last edited by MX621; 10-30-2011 at 11:46 PM.
Old 10-29-2011, 10:04 PM
joenationwide
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MX621
finally got around to taking the z to the track. this past tues i went to thunderbolt @ njmp.. had a blast, got better every time out. did 6 of the 8 20 min sessions. ment some really cool people. deff have a steep learning curve ahead of me.. made plenty of mistakes . its been over 3 years since my last trackday, felt good to be back on a track. instructors and track rats please comment on my driving, flame suit on!! forgive me i slipped a F bomb in the vid, i was a lil excited.. the guy riding with me is not an instructor, he has a ton of laps around thunderbolt on bikes, was just along for the ride and some pointers. my best lap time was a 1:42.0, there was a gt3rs running mid 1:39's..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_JDUZM9vi4
Man, Im at NJMP right now and I'm jealous of the weather you had earlier in the week, it rained all day today with high winds and some sleet.

Anyway, looked like you were having fun out there! Personally I can't really critique videos, I need to be in the right seat. But from the video you looked like you could get the car to do what you wanted. I'm sure as you do more days you will find your groove. I'm going to say that a fast time in a stock Z06 (with no passenger) is probably around 1:35 on say Kumho XS. With R6s I'd bet low 1:30s is possible (absolutely flying). We'll see after tomorrow what times we'll get in TT.

Please for the love of god get some real brake pads though. You were on stock pads? How did they last more than 1 lap? Be safe out there and have fun!

Last edited by joenationwide; 10-29-2011 at 10:08 PM.
Old 10-29-2011, 10:37 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

Welcome to the TRACK
Warning, it's addicting
Old 10-30-2011, 05:59 AM
spdislife
Le Mans Master

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

3 years since your last trackday??

Last event 2 weeks ago....next will be April 2012. I'm going through withdrawal already

Glad you had a good time
Old 10-30-2011, 06:20 AM
Bills Z06
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18

Glad you "back in the saddle". Enjoy!
Old 10-30-2011, 10:11 AM
JimbeauZ06
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by spdislife
3 years since your last trackday??

Last event 2 weeks ago....next will be April 2012. I'm going through withdrawal already

Glad you had a good time

If I wasn't already depressed enough the 10 inches of snow I'm staring at out my window is enough to push me.right over the edge. And to think a week ago we were having a blast at Summit Point.

Welcome back!
Old 10-30-2011, 08:06 PM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by JimbeauZ06

If I wasn't already depressed enough the 10 inches of snow I'm staring at out my window is enough to push me.right over the edge. And to think a week ago we were having a blast at Summit Point.

Welcome back!
Yes the end of the season is hard isn't it? I still haven't unpacked my car or removed the blue tape. Looked at my vid though and kicking myself for not going into 10 6-8 ft later. If weather is good maybe I'll try to do Friday at the Track.

Get notified of new replies

To first track day in the vette

Quick Reply: first track day in the vette