Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6Z06 Bedding of DBA 4000 Rotors Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2011, 09:57 AM
TheKomoman
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
St Jude Donor '13

Default C6Z06 Bedding of DBA 4000 Rotors Question

I put on a set of DBA 4000 slotted rotors on the front of my '08 Z06 on Saturday, replacing my worn out factory originals. I did not change pads, which are single piece Carbotech XP8's that still have a couple of track days left in them, using stock calipers. I also did a fresh bleed after putting everything back together.

I bedded the pads to the rotors yesterday and when I parked I check them to make sure I saw a good pad deposit and noticed a radial "striping" pattern on them and the pattern is the same on both sides. Brakes felt good, solid pedal and good controlled stops.

This is my first time with slotted rotors but I sure never saw anything like this on the factory drilled:

So what the heck is going on??

Thanks
Old 10-24-2011, 10:41 AM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It is just the way the pads have scored the surface. It will change over time...one good track day and they will go away. If the pads feel nice and stiff and brake good, your fine. I get all kinds of strange patterns the first time I score in new pads.
Old 10-24-2011, 11:10 AM
jlutherva
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 95jersey
It is just the way the pads have scored the surface. It will change over time...one good track day and they will go away. If the pads feel nice and stiff and brake good, your fine. I get all kinds of strange patterns the first time I score in new pads.

I had the exact same thing happen, and just like what Jersey said, it all cleared up after one track day.

Jim
Old 10-24-2011, 11:11 AM
TheKomoman
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

St Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by jlutherva

I had the exact same thing happen, and just like what Jersey said, it all cleared up after one track day.

Jim
Thanks guys, had never seen that before and when it comes to brakes I try to err on the side of paranoia!

Much appreciated.
Old 10-24-2011, 05:48 PM
jlutherva
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by TheKomoman
Thanks guys, had never seen that before and when it comes to brakes I try to err on the side of paranoia!

Much appreciated.
With brakes, paranoia is a good thing!

Jim
Old 10-24-2011, 06:57 PM
diddiyo
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

this.

last week i cracked both of my front rotors after day 1 of a 2-day track event, so in the morning i went to napa to get rotors, put them on, bedded them in and had the same kind of striping afterwards. one session into day 2 and everything was fine

(i'm running carbotech ax6 pads)
Old 10-24-2011, 07:00 PM
DBAsteve
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi TheKomoman,

What you are seeing there is a pad that has worn to suit the face of the old rotor. Ie. the face isn't flat/parallel.

The first thing that I noted was the area that appears to have almost no pad contact is the centre of effort (the middle of the braking surface). This is because the pad has worn with the old rotor and now has a concave surface where it does of the most braking.

There are 3 things you can do.
Firstly I would take the pads out and carefully file the face flat (don't use emery paper, or use bricks/concrete to get the surface flat).

Secondly, it may sort itself out after a track day depending on how bad the surface is, i make no guarantees that it will sort itself out though.

Thirdly you could replace the pads that way ensuring the maximum pad contact area.

If you need any more information email dbasteve@dba.com.au or PM Carbotec Adam.

Cheers,

DBASteve
dbasteve@dba.com.au
Old 10-24-2011, 07:13 PM
TheKomoman
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

St Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by DBAsteve
Hi TheKomoman,

What you are seeing there is a pad that has worn to suit the face of the old rotor. Ie. the face isn't flat/parallel.

The first thing that I noted was the area that appears to have almost no pad contact is the centre of effort (the middle of the braking surface). This is because the pad has worn with the old rotor and now has a concave surface where it does of the most braking.

There are 3 things you can do.
Firstly I would take the pads out and carefully file the face flat (don't use emery paper, or use bricks/concrete to get the surface flat).

Secondly, it may sort itself out after a track day depending on how bad the surface is, i make no guarantees that it will sort itself out though.

Thirdly you could replace the pads that way ensuring the maximum pad contact area.

If you need any more information email dbasteve@dba.com.au or PM Carbotec Adam.

Cheers,

DBASteve
dbasteve@dba.com.au
Makes a lot of sense Steve, thanks.
Old 10-27-2011, 10:59 AM
JRitt@essex
Supporting Vendor

Received 419 Likes on 273 Posts

I did a couple vids on bedding and swapping between race and street pads. You'll see in the vids that I have some striping on certain parts of the disc, etc. Those issues tend to cure themselves, particularly if you have an aggressive pad in the caliper.
Old 10-27-2011, 03:39 PM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,406 Likes on 753 Posts

Jeff,

Gotta say your learning section is great reading and watching!

Thanks for sharing, and have a good one,
Mike

Get notified of new replies

To C6Z06 Bedding of DBA 4000 Rotors Question

Quick Reply: C6Z06 Bedding of DBA 4000 Rotors Question